Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-07-2014, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i 6MT convertible
Hardtop occasionally sticks on one side

I am trying to figure out exactly what is going on. My hardtop will fold up all nice in the trunk as it should. When I go to raise it it sometimes sticks on the drivers side when it first comes out of the trunk. It is almost like it is catching on something during the very first instant that it raises. It is usually not enough to keep the top from operating but I can tell the motors are stressed when it first comes out due to the sound. I did a search on the forum to see if anyone else had a similar issue and couldn't find anyone.

I bought wurth lubricant spray and proceeded to oil every joint I could find making sure i was getting both sides of the hinges. For good measure I repeated the whole thing again a few days later. It didn't seem to help. Since it is literally the first mm of the top raising where the issue is only a subset of the hinges are involved in any case. I stood by the car and put the top up and down to see if I could isolate where it was catching but no luck. Sometimes it is very slight and hardly noticeable and other times it is more pronounced. It is on the drivers side only.

Any ideas on what mechanism is involved in that first instance when the top lifts off of its resting position?
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjim View Post
I am trying to figure out exactly what is going on. My hardtop will fold up all nice in the trunk as it should. When I go to raise it it sometimes sticks on the drivers side when it first comes out of the trunk. It is almost like it is catching on something during the very first instant that it raises. It is usually not enough to keep the top from operating but I can tell the motors are stressed when it first comes out due to the sound. I did a search on the forum to see if anyone else had a similar issue and couldn't find anyone.

I bought wurth lubricant spray and proceeded to oil every joint I could find making sure i was getting both sides of the hinges. For good measure I repeated the whole thing again a few days later. It didn't seem to help. Since it is literally the first mm of the top raising where the issue is only a subset of the hinges are involved in any case. I stood by the car and put the top up and down to see if I could isolate where it was catching but no luck. Sometimes it is very slight and hardly noticeable and other times it is more pronounced. It is on the drivers side only.

Any ideas on what mechanism is involved in that first instance when the top lifts off of its resting position?

Likely needs alignment. The origami top is an excellent piece o'work and impressive to see and experience, but expensive and somewhat complicated. Yes!

Could also be a wonky micro switch.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
In addition to Cal's possibilities, your top joints probably also need to be lubed.

Just as as suggestion, for lubing DIY and other pointers you might want to read Nordic Kat's excellent sticky thread on keeping your top operating in good condition.

Cheers.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Mister Jim,

Back at about 2 years of ownership, I had a similar situation except it wasn't when the top was un-stowing; it was when it was opening. It was only on the passenger side. Turned out, the latching mechanism (hinge) had an issue which was a known issue and there was a TSB which covered it. I didn't pay attention to the year of your car; if it is still in warranty, I would certainly take it to the dealership for a look-see. My issue got bad enough that the top wouldn't open. Of course, after the first fail attempt, I was immediately at the dealership with the complaint.

I make every attempt to keep all those joints and hinges very clean in addition to well lubricated. That being said, I am always amazed at all the detritus I find lurking in my trunk (dead bugs, twigs, leaves), that sneak in when the top is being opened in an organic environment. Do a look-see for something that might physically impinge. Have somebody else actuate the top while you are standing at the front of the rear wheels. Do this with the engine running so you can actuate the top numerous times both front and rear and stopping it at various points along the way to really examine all the mechanisms. This really is a two person exercise and it really does help to have a willing spouse/SO/car buddy play along.

Keep us posted what you find.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I am always amazed at all the detritus I find lurking in my trunk (dead bugs, twigs, leaves), that sneak in when the top is being opened in an organic environment.
In the Phoenix area, we primarily find dust in our trunk. Well, that and the neighbor's Bougainvillea petals.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i 6MT convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Mister Jim,

Back at about 2 years of ownership, I had a similar situation except it wasn't when the top was un-stowing; it was when it was opening. It was only on the passenger side. Turned out, the latching mechanism (hinge) had an issue which was a known issue and there was a TSB which covered it. I didn't pay attention to the year of your car; if it is still in warranty, I would certainly take it to the dealership for a look-see. My issue got bad enough that the top wouldn't open. Of course, after the first fail attempt, I was immediately at the dealership with the complaint.

I make every attempt to keep all those joints and hinges very clean in addition to well lubricated. That being said, I am always amazed at all the detritus I find lurking in my trunk (dead bugs, twigs, leaves), that sneak in when the top is being opened in an organic environment. Do a look-see for something that might physically impinge. Have somebody else actuate the top while you are standing at the front of the rear wheels. Do this with the engine running so you can actuate the top numerous times both front and rear and stopping it at various points along the way to really examine all the mechanisms. This really is a two person exercise and it really does help to have a willing spouse/SO/car buddy play along.

Keep us posted what you find.
Just an update on my issue. After a couple of days and copious amounts of wurth spray it seems as though there is much less of the "catching" of the stacked top when it first lifts from the trunk on the drivers side. I'm wondering if it took time for the lubricant to penetrate? It's interesting but I notice that when the fully stacked top makes it's final rest in the trunk it use to kind of almost slam, where as now, after lube, it seems like it comes to a more gentle and quieter "landing". I would say it's 90% better though if I compare drivers side to passenger side I still notice a very slight difference in the smoothness of when the stacked top first lifts. I'm not sure it is enough to bring to the attention of my SA as it is now pretty subtle.