Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
New to BMW!

Hi guys! Im picking up my 2011 CPO 328i coupe on wednesday at the dealership. Is there anything I should be aware of??

thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy1c View Post
Hi guys! Im picking up my 2011 CPO 328i coupe on wednesday at the dealership. Is there anything I should be aware of??

thanks!!
Other drivers!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Other drivers!
LOL nice one.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:

thanks!!

HERE
Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
LOL nice one.
I say that because as soon as I bought my car, everyone else out here seemed to become some of the worst drivers ever! I have been rear ended twice in less that a year (into my bumper while driving to clarify). Just the other day, a Toyota mini-van driver made a left with me in a double left turn lane at a light and just veered over into me and almost ran me up on the curb! Just one example of I have escaped recently while KINDLY obeying the law and trying to stay VISIBLE. Thank goodness for the loud horn on these! I'm sure she had no insurance (So Cal, O.C...so just guess!) as well. Might as well paint a bullseye on your car. Other than that, you will love it! Get ready! Had two Mercedes...no contest.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
Congrats!! and welcome to the forum
N54 JB4+VRSF DP 745$**N55 JB4+VRSF DP 736$**N20 JB4+ER DP 921$**N55 JB4+ER DP F Chassis 921$**VRSF N54 DP 289$**XPH Angel Eyes 79$**ER Huge Sale CP,DP and FMIC**Cobb N54/N55(Black Friday Special)**AA Sale FMIC,Exhausts**
Call 702-494-9435 or Email Mike@x-ph.com or PM me For INSANE BLACK FRIDAY PRICES
Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I say that because as soon as I bought my car, everyone else out here seemed to become some of the worst drivers ever! I have been rear ended twice in less that a year (into my bumper while driving to clarify). Just the other day, a Toyota mini-van driver made a left with me in a double left turn lane at a light and just veered over into me and almost ran me up on the curb! Just one example of I have escaped recently while KINDLY obeying the law and trying to stay VISIBLE. Thank goodness for the loud horn on these! I'm sure she had no insurance (So Cal, O.C...so just guess!) as well. Might as well paint a bullseye on your car. Other than that, you will love it! Get ready! Had two Mercedes...no contest.
haha thanks for the heads up! will definitely keep an eye out, don't want to wreak her already. Coming from an 06 g35, driving this thing will definitely be a change.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Sit on @$$ & hit the gas

Mein Auto: 2011 335i coupe
If you want to make it faster skip the 328 and find a 335. I bought my 328i and was happy with it for about 6 months before I wanted to modify it and make it faster. That's when I realized how limited the aftermarket support was for the 328. Aside from that, enjoy the car and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_boost View Post
If you want to make it faster skip the 328 and find a 335. I bought my 328i and was happy with it for about 6 months before I wanted to modify it and make it faster. That's when I realized how limited the aftermarket support was for the 328. Aside from that, enjoy the car and welcome to the forum!
I did consider the 335i but it is a little out of my budget. As of right now I am happy to switch to the bimmer game. maybe sometime in the future I will consider trading it for a 335i. Will definitly post pictures after I go pick it up.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:

thanks!!
Have 75k on my 2011 328 and it's the best car I have ever owed. Still runs and rides like she's brand new. Congrats and enjoy.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi 6MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Have 75k on my 2011 328 and it's the best car I have ever owed. Still runs and rides like she's brand new. Congrats and enjoy.
Same car and hoping for the same results1
Old 07-08-2014, 10:39 PM

hey guys! is it worth it to buy the extended maintenance package?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 PM

Have you done your own oil changes and brakes before?

For me:

Rear brakes....$65.00 (wheel off, caliper off, old brakes out, new brakes in, reverse order, except for sensor side which snaps on and off quickly)
Front brakes...$75.00 (Same as above but havent needed to replace in 30k miles yet)
Oil Change...$35.00 for Mobil 1 European Formula (7 quarts), $15.00 for 3 Filters online.
Transmission Fluid Change...$200.00 at an Indy at 50K (but can do yourself with Pelican Parts Video Help. I just thought that was a good deal not to have to mess with it).
Coolant Change....$20.00 for BMW Coolant and free DIY videos on Youtube or Pelican Parts.
Spark Plugs...about $60.00 IIRC online. Changed myself at around 48K miles (easy job).

While under original BMW Warranty:

Rear brake pads replaced...$420.00!!! (They stamp your bill what they would have charged if you had to pay them)
Oil Change at 45K Miles....$190.00!!!

That's all I could get done within the included maint warranty and mine was CPO'd from 29K miles.

How much are they charging you? If anything find yourself a mechanic that does BMW and ask how much. Other than programming software, most all shops can do the basics if you can't for a fair price. Youtube will teach you a lot.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Have you done your own oil changes and brakes before?

For me:

Rear brakes....$65.00 (wheel off, caliper off, old brakes out, new brakes in, reverse order, except for sensor side which snaps on and off quickly)
Front brakes...$75.00 (Same as above but havent needed to replace in 30k miles yet)
Oil Change...$35.00 for Mobil 1 European Formula (7 quarts), $15.00 for 3 Filters online.
Transmission Fluid Change...$200.00 at an Indy at 50K (but can do yourself with Pelican Parts Video Help. I just thought that was a good deal not to have to mess with it).
Coolant Change....$20.00 for BMW Coolant and free DIY videos on Youtube or Pelican Parts.
Spark Plugs...about $60.00 IIRC online. Changed myself at around 48K miles (easy job).

While under original BMW Warranty:

Rear brake pads replaced...$420.00!!! (They stamp your bill what they would have charged if you had to pay them)
Oil Change at 45K Miles....$190.00!!!

That's all I could get done within the included maint warranty and mine was CPO'd from 29K miles.

How much are they charging you? If anything find yourself a mechanic that does BMW and ask how much. Other than programming software, most all shops can do the basics if you can't for a fair price. Youtube will teach you a lot.
omg thanks! this really helps me out. The dealership quoted me $2500 for 3 years on the package. The CPO that im about to buy only have one year left before it expires and i am just wondering if it is needed. My friends did tell me to buy my own oil/filter at wal-mart then finding a shop to change it for me.

I have never changed my own oil and I don't have a garage or tools since I live in an apartment complex.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:50 PM

I live in an apartment for now but have my basic bucket of tools and a low profile jack, rhino ramps I got from Wally World for $35.00, and various wrenches and tools that all get the job done. You don't need a garage. Watch a Youtube video on how to change brakes. Then you try and you will amaze yourself. The mystere is that everything is so complex and yuo could really mess something up. NOPE! Just a perception put out there by scared folks who don't open their hood to see if the engine is still in there! Here...watch this:

Old 07-08-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I live in an apartment for now but have my basic bucket of tools and a low profile jack, rhino ramps I got from Wally World for $35.00, and various wrenches and tools that all get the job done. You don't need a garage. Watch a Youtube video on how to change brakes. Then you try and you will amaze yourself. The mystere is that everything is so complex and yuo could really mess something up. NOPE! Just a perception put out there by scared folks who don't open their hood to see if the engine is still in there! Here...watch this:

haha thanks! I guess I wont purchase the package. It is super expensive.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 AM

Save the money for repairs as they come along and try to get some interest out of it. Maybe learn to do brakes and oil changes for other BMW owners and charge them $60.00 plus parts for front brakes or back brakes, and Oil Changes for $85.00 including parts...net yourself about $45 for 20 minutes. Spark Plug change outs for $100.00 plus parts. Coils and Plugs $150.00 (coils are easier than the plugs). Clean their dirty brake dust covered rims for $30.00 every week or replace all brakes with Akebono brake pads (no dust) for cost of parts and $200.00. Look at you now, you are racking up the $$$$$ like the dealer!!!!

Then buy the cable that Cal always recemmends from Burger Tunning and program their BMWs for them. Oh, to install a new battery is $500-600 at the dealer. Got mine at Autozone today for $179.99-$40.00 Rewards Cash and installed myself. Anyone looks at that job and will get light headed immediately! But guess what!? I did it my first time watching a Youtube video on how to do it and was done in 20 minutes. Saved myself $460.00 in Labor!!!!

PM me if you have any questions guy. Here to help who I can with the knowledge and experience I have gained.

Last edited by sptt144; 07-09-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Save the money for repairs as they come along and try to get some interest out of it. Maybe learn to do brakes and oil changes for other BMW owners and charge them $60.00 plus parts for front brakes or back brakes, and Oil Changes for $85.00 inlcuding parts...net yourself about $45 for 20 minutes. Spark Plug change outs for $100.00 plus parts. Coils and Plugs $150.00 (coils are easier than the plugs). Clean their dirty brake dust covered rims for $30.00 every week or replace all brakes with Akebono brake pads (no dust) for cost of parts and $200.00. Look at you now, you are racking up the $$$$$ like the dealer!!!!

Then buy the cable that Cal always recemmends from Burger Tunning and program their BMWs for them. Oh, to install a new battery is $500-600 at the dealer. Got mine at Autozone today for !79.99-$40.00 Rewards Cash and installed myself. Anyone looks at that job and wil get light headed immediately! But guess what!? I did it my first time watching a Youtube video on how to do it and was done in 20 minutes. Saved myself $460.00 in Labor!!!!

PM me if you have any questions guy. Here to help who I can with the knowledge and experience I have gained.
haha again thank you! you are making me want to get down and dirty with my car now I guess all the rumors of owning a (BMW) and how it is going to cost me an arm and a leg isn't really true if i just take care of the car and if I do most of the repair myself or take it to a indy shop.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
haha again thank you! you are making me want to get down and dirty with my car now I guess all the rumors of owning a (BMW) and how it is going to cost me an arm and a leg isn't really true if i just take care of the car and if I do most of the repair myself or take it to a indy shop.
You can do NONE of these things and just let the car go like most owners of vehicles do and it will probably fall a little shorter of the "others" and cost a bit more to course correct but essentially, it's a car with an engine, transmission, wheels, and a cooling system that keeps it going. And oh, it needs a computer connection once in a while to tip top it off. That"s my outlook and take.

However, I would normally not do a coolant change when I do because I wouldn't be as worried about the internal damage the engine would develop and just put a used engine it after it seized up because they're only $600-$1200 installed. My BMW might be $5-$15k installed because it is more rare due to being taken better care of and still plugging along in most older BMWs.

Same with anything else....Japanese autos can take a beating and then be reinvigorated for a couple thousand dollars if you took decent care of them (air in tires, added water to coolant, oil changed every 20K miles or so, a Jiffy Lube air filter here and there, and a flat tire replacement now and then for $87.00 balanced and mounted. Oh, and they run off 87 octane and water no problem it seems.

With your BMW....you are more careful. Getting those more frequent oil changes with special oil and filters. Have the AC checked, worry about the coolant and water pump going out and having it replaced ahead of time, Getting new non rft tires to save money but keeping the great ride going. Pay for a power steering and brake fluid flush because it will disintegrate if you don't (not, the SA at the Dealership recommends it based on a chart). Lots of car washes to keep it looking super sporty, CAN'T HAVE A BULB OUT! Get that fixed right away! Etc., Etc., Etc.

We just seem to treat these cars better although other brands require very similar types and costs of mantenance that we just tend to blow right by.
Am I wrong?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
You can do NONE of these things and just let the car go like most owners of vehicles do and it will probably fall a little shorter of the "others" and cost a bit more to course correct but essentially, it's a car with an engine, transmission, wheels, and a cooling system that keeps it going. And oh, it needs a computer connection once in a while to tip top it off. That"s my outlook and take.

However, I would normally not do a coolant change when I do because I wouldn't be as worried about the internal damage the engine would develop and just put a used engine it after it seized up because they're only $600-$1200 installed. My BMW might be $5-$15k installed because it is more rare due to being taken better care of and still plugging along in most older BMWs.

Same with anything else....Japanese autos can take a beating and then be reinvigorated for a couple thousand dollars if you took decent care of them (air in tires, added water to coolant, oil changed every 20K miles or so, a Jiffy Lube air filter here and there, and a flat tire replacement now and then for $87.00 balanced and mounted. Oh, and they run off 87 octane and water no problem it seems.

With your BMW....you are more careful. Getting those more frequent oil changes with special oil and filters. Have the AC checked, worry about the coolant and water pump going out and having it replaced ahead of time, Getting new non rft tires to save money but keeping the great ride going. Pay for a power steering and brake fluid flush because it will disintegrate if you don't (not, the SA at the Dealership recommends it based on a chart). Lots of car washes to keep it looking super sporty, CAN'T HAVE A BULB OUT! Get that fixed right away! Etc., Etc., Etc.

We just seem to treat these cars better although other brands require very similar types and costs of mantenance that we just tend to blow right by.
Am I wrong?
lol definitely agree! I will take good care of her. I had Japanese cars all my life, now it is time for a change. I guess you can say, you pay for what you get lol.