Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI
Wrong brake pads?

Hey guys I recently did my own front brakes and rotors on my 2007 328XI it was super easy other than some really tight bolts and rusted on rotors. My question is after I was all done I noticed the Brake pads hang a bit below the rotor face on the bottom of the pad. Aka to long. I bought all the material at the dealer and paid to much as to make sure I got the correct parts. I gave them my vin# and everything. So I checked my invoice and the part number listed for the pads they gave me is 34-11-6-790-759. After some research online I believe that they gave me pads for models built after 9/2009. Mine was built in 6/2007. And I think the correct part number should be 34-11-6-799-166. I found the old ones in the trash thankfully and I'll compare them tomorrow. My main question is if these are in fact the wrong pads do you think they ruined my new rotors I put about 400 hwy miles on them. Also is the dealer responsible for making it right. I'm kind of ticked since I had all the correct parts in my online shopping cart for cheaper but went with the dealer to ensure the correct fit. Grrr really frustrated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0701140955-1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	450402  
Ads by Google
Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Got some new Akebono pads for my fronts but havent put them in yet. They measure 2.5" from top to bottom if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0368.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	450618  
Old 07-09-2014, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Got some new Akebono pads for my fronts but havent put them in yet. They measure 2.5" from top to bottom if that helps.
I'm getting ready to replace my rotors/pads on the exact same car so I'm watching this thread pretty closely.... although, I intend to purchase my "kit" from Bavauto.com..... but still, always a chance at getting the wrong pads!

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue - New to Me)
('07 E92 328xi - Space Gray - still in the family)
Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingair84 View Post
Hey guys I recently did my own front brakes and rotors on my 2007 328XI it was super easy other than some really tight bolts and rusted on rotors. My question is after I was all done I noticed the Brake pads hang a bit below the rotor face on the bottom of the pad. Aka to long. I bought all the material at the dealer and paid to much as to make sure I got the correct parts. I gave them my vin# and everything. So I checked my invoice and the part number listed for the pads they gave me is 34-11-6-790-759. After some research online I believe that they gave me pads for models built after 9/2009. Mine was built in 6/2007. And I think the correct part number should be 34-11-6-799-166. I found the old ones in the trash thankfully and I'll compare them tomorrow. My main question is if these are in fact the wrong pads do you think they ruined my new rotors I put about 400 hwy miles on them. Also is the dealer responsible for making it right. I'm kind of ticked since I had all the correct parts in my online shopping cart for cheaper but went with the dealer to ensure the correct fit. Grrr really frustrated.
could be the wrong pads but it should not interfere with braking, I would think that when the pads wear down that extended part past the rotor surface would just start wearing on the curved part of the rotor and since it is not a machined surface it will wear the pad quite quickly in that area till it polishes that area, might smell some brake pads heating up but I believe you will be ok, My opinion,

but unless you take the pic and go back to the dealer and have them check the parts and do it again you will not know if they are the correct pads
Old 07-09-2014, 08:25 AM

Hey thanks for the responses. I did take it apart and they were the wrong pads. I called the dealer and they had a difficult time figuring it out. Their computer system apparently didn't even have brake pads listed for my cars brake assembly, but they did have the pads with part #34-11-6-799-166 and those are the correct pads. So if you have a pre 9/2007 328i or xi these are the pads u need. They just gave me them thankfully but I still had to tear it apart and put them on. Oh well I guess I should have compared them side by side from the start, when I do the rear I'll probably just buy everything online since I basically know everything I need to now from all the time I spent searching. Now I have a $150 set of pads with 200miles on them that I can't bring myself to throw out. Lol
Old 07-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
take a grinder and grind the excess pad material off, thats if that was the only difference
Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Daboogster
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
take a grinder and grind the excess pad material off, thats if that was the only difference
I bought F and R drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads off EBay and installed them myself. They fit perfect, work perfect and look great. My right rear original only had one pad moving so it wore 5,000 miles early and trashed the rear rotor.

$250 for all of it. Took about two or three hours, longer than it should have mainly because of the aluminum wheels being stuck on the hubs. I don't think I have ever rubber hammered anything as hard as I hit that wheel to get it off. I put anti-seize between hub and wheels now. BMW should have some sort of plastic liner between the two to prevent galvanic action. And next time I will loosen the wheel nuts a bit and drive the car around the block before I try to pull the wheels.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboogster View Post
I bought F and R drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads off EBay and installed them myself. They fit perfect, work perfect and look great. My right rear original only had one pad moving so it wore 5,000 miles early and trashed the rear rotor.

$250 for all of it. Took about two or three hours, longer than it should have mainly because of the aluminum wheels being stuck on the hubs. I don't think I have ever rubber hammered anything as hard as I hit that wheel to get it off. I put anti-seize between hub and wheels now. BMW should have some sort of plastic liner between the two to prevent galvanic action. And next time I will loosen the wheel nuts a bit and drive the car around the block before I try to pull the wheels.
Last time that happened to me (stuck wheels - all damn 4 of em), I used another wheel/tire as my wrecking ball so to speak. More mass and larger surface area than a rubber sledge/mallet. 2 or three bumps and they came loose. They were right there since I was changing over my winters.

Last edited by ddeliber; 07-09-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboogster View Post

Haha!! I thought my arm was going to fall off from all the pounding the first time I took off my wheels! The rotors were even worse. I sanded off all the rust and put anti seize on it now so should be much better when I swap into my winter tires and wheels.