Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 740i Blk/Blk
Pads and Rotors

Got a warning signal that its about time to change brake pads. I am wondering if I can use OEM rotors with non-OEM pads. I have a set of EBC Yellow pads. Some people said do not mix with non-OEM pads, is it true?

I had EBC before on my E63 AMG and it works just great, less dust. Way better than stock.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbworldz View Post
Got a warning signal that its about time to change brake pads. I am wondering if I can use OEM rotors with non-OEM pads. I have a set of EBC Yellow pads. Some people said do not mix with non-OEM pads, is it true?

I had EBC before on my E63 AMG and it works just great, less dust. Way better than stock.
Sure you can, you might want to "mic" them to make sure they are still within specs. Also I always check for warpage and unusual wear.

No reason to send good rotors to the landfill

jeff
Old 07-08-2014, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbworldz View Post

Absolutely. I use OEM rotors with Akebono ceramic pads. Brake dust be gone.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Absolutely. I use OEM rotors with Akebono ceramic pads. Brake dust be gone.
Raj, where did you order the pads from (and is there a specific part number?) I'm thinking of switching because of the dust too (though the pads are pretty new).

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM

I got mine from www.tirerack.com. They are fast and reliable and good priced.

Front: EUR1409
Rear: EUR919

Sent from bighorns' toilet.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Great, thanks, I'll order the fronts this week (strangely, my rears barely have any dust... though in all honesty, there is barely any dust at all compared to my other BMWs, but every bit counts!)

M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom View Post
Great, thanks, I'll order the fronts this week (strangely, my rears barely have any dust... though in all honesty, there is barely any dust at all compared to my other BMWs, but every bit counts!)

Your rears have barely which is correct. Put these on and you go to virtually none.

Have I mentioned how good you looked today Alex. I loved how you did the Mohawk and how the G-String thong was just peeking over your Levi's'. Nice look for u.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Your rears have barely which is correct. Put these on and you go to virtually none.

Have I mentioned how good you looked today Alex. I loved how you did the Mohawk and how the G-String thong was just peeking over your Levi's'. Nice look for u.

Thanks Raj... I think...

E38 740i Jet Black
Old 07-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Lmao.. AudiWorld doesn't compare to this forum..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

For those like that love INK checkout join
Myinkedspace.com with my referral code and enjoy

http://myinkedspace.com/?ref=REF65900
Old 07-10-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First_745Li View Post
Lmao.. AudiWorld doesn't compare to this forum..

Audiworld is as generic looking as their cars.

Also thanks for the PM Alex that you thought I looked sexy also. It was nice to hear from one of our Mods.

Last edited by rajeek; 07-10-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:22 PM

Haha.. Raj
Those generic cars have RWS...

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First_745Li View Post
Haha.. Raj
Those generic cars have RWS...

Man. Everyone's got wood around here except me. Alex tried to show me his wood by the way.....I passed, I was already with Shasha. She is a butterface, but I put a bag over that and were good.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:33 PM

Lol.. I normally draw a better face on that bag

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

Old 07-11-2014, 05:08 PM
2009 F02

Mein Auto: 750li, XJ8
everyone wants numbers when it comes to Dinan, pedalbox, or BMS. Does anyone have numbers to show stopping distances with alternate pads? or are we willing to believe the brochures when it comes to brakes?

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights
Old 07-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhughes420384 View Post
everyone wants numbers when it comes to Dinan, pedalbox, or BMS. Does anyone have numbers to show stopping distances with alternate pads? or are we willing to believe the brochures when it comes to brakes?

I believe everything I read on the innernets

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

Old 07-11-2014, 10:21 PM

Pads and Rotors

Quote:

I don't recall anyone ever making the claim stopping distances are better or worse. Just because they are OEM does not make them better or vice versa. The majority of users of ceramic brakes on the F01/F02 series make the change to reduce dust issues. If you want to take a real world application of these look at the cars that are fitted with ceramics. They virtually across the board have better stopping distances with OEM ceramics vs OEM stock. For example ceramics are a $9000 option on the M5/M6. Now those have different calipers I get but still ceramic pads. Ceramics are also standard on most exotics that can chew brakes up in a heartbeat.

As far as I am concerned they are an upgrade for the brake dust issue alone, but you do have a very valid point. No one knows how the numbers will play out, better or worse at this point.

But I am a moron apparently, so take it for what you will.

Last edited by rajeek; 07-12-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:38 AM

Pads and Rotors

Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 AM
2009 F02

Combination of rotors and pads is important, and some pads are made to only work at high temperatures, like on a track. Its not as simple as " they cost more money so they must be good" I put a set of ceramics on my old 7 series to get rid of dust, and the stopping distances were horrible, i could not even get enough grip to kick the abs on.
So next time someone wants to change their brakes, lets ask the same questions we do about dinan, do some numbers with the old brakes and then again with the new brakes, I would love to find low dust brakes that work as well or better than the OEM

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights
Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 740i Blk/Blk
I finally got my pads and rotors done.
Front using EBC Yellow along with Textar Rotors
Rear both Textar pads and rotors.

Works like a charm.
super low dust.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Man. Everyone's got wood around here except me. Alex tried to show me his wood by the way.....I passed, I was already with Shasha. She is a butterface, but I put a bag over that and were good.

Raj is at it again!

Sent using Raj's RWS.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
Raj is at it again!

Sent using Raj's RWS.

Yes yes he is.. And still lacking wood.

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

Old 07-13-2014, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 750LI
Quote:
I got the akebonos on the front right now with the OEM rotors, not sure on specifics but it definitely doesn't have that "bite" the OEM ones had, feels a lot less aggressive so took a bit getting used to. They're not bad but the OEM, to me, felt much "grippier" and seemed like a quicker stop haha.

750LI
Drivers Assistance Package
Camera Package
Convenience Package
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Sound Package
Rear Entertainment Package
Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection
Head-Up Display
Active Cruise Control
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTrack View Post
I got the akebonos on the front right now with the OEM rotors, not sure on specifics but it definitely doesn't have that "bite" the OEM ones had, feels a lot less aggressive so took a bit getting used to. They're not bad but the OEM, to me, felt much "grippier" and seemed like a quicker stop haha.

Can't go wrong with little to no brake dust. I have Akebonos all around and they bite just fine although they may not be as responsive as the OEM pads. Difference is marginal to me though.

Have you bedded the pads in?

Sent using Raj's RWS.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM
2009 F02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
Can't go wrong with little to no brake dust. I have Akebonos all around and they bite just fine although they may not be as responsive as the OEM pads. Difference is marginal to me though.

Have you bedded the pads in?

Sent using Raj's RWS.
so your wheels will look great while your car is 4 feet into that tree?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
so your wheels will look great while your car is 4 feet into that tree?

Sent using Raj's RWS.