Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 11-11-2004, 09:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to blisteringblue
Mein Auto: 2004 320d
Unhappy Bluetooth and SE T610 Problems Continuing

I have had the car for 3 weeks, I've given it a good go but I can say I am disappointed with my Factory Fit Bluetooth in a UK 3 series (320d). I have a Sony Ericson T610 bought especially as it is "fully" compatible.

I was expecting some "wonder system" for the 600 (uk sterling) I paid for it, plus the additional 60 for the phone cradle.

My findings are as follows:

1) Travel over 50 mph and forget it, the other person will struggle to hear you, and you repeat yourself 10 times just to have a conversation. People I call say I sound terrible; all they hear is road noise hiss.
2) Phone Locks Up. Sometimes when I press phone button to finish a call the whole system will lock up. This is phone, Bluetooth and Radio (no music comes back on). I have to undock the phone and switch it on and off just to bring it all back to life. Must do this every few days.
3) Phone drops Bluetooth connection as you click the answer button on steering wheel. Again have to undock phone and switch off to sort out again. Done this 3 times today!!
4) Dialing number from phone does not engage Bluetooth system, will only start Bluetooth when selected from contacts via steering wheel. I have to press as if I am selecting a contact in address book, cancel it and quickly press the "1" on the phone to get to my answer phone as it is not a number in my contacts list. This will get it through the Bluetooth.
5) People have commented that when duplexing in calls (both talking together) they only catch part of what I am saying. Now I don't know if the system is full duplex or not but I would expect (and hope) it is.

Is it just me? Or are others having the same problems. What about other SE T610/616 users? Does your phone behave as it should? Do you think a phone firmware upgrade would help? I have the R1L013 firmware, (the minimum BMW recommend is R1A081 so I am past that).

I did really expect much more from this system for the price. My old 30 Bluetooth headset is better.

Should I think about going back to my old Nokia 6310 as these seem to be the phones the system was built for? Is a shame as I like the T610 and its features. I may try the Nokia for a week as a test and see if it is any better.

Last edited by blisteringblue; 11-11-2004 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Ads by Google
Old 11-11-2004, 03:30 PM
In the Downward Spiral

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
That sux you are having all of those issues. I have a T637, and it works flawlessly. The entire Bluetooth setup I could not be happier with. Maybe it's time to have the phone checked, or the BT module.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:34 PM

Just driven back from Scotland (4 hours) had about 4 calls and of that I had to restart the phone twice !! Would not answer from the steering wheel again. Also this time around half my numbers were not showing on the dash, but were still there in the phone !!

Decided to put phone in to have latest firmware tomorrow and while it's in the shop I will use my old Nokia 6310 and see how that behaves.

If it doesn't fix it then I may look at the T630 as I'm due a free upgrade from my phone company. I'd love the SE K700 but there is no cradle for it yet.

Anyway what did we have to moan about before mobile phones
Old 11-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 740i, 750il, m6
It is most likely the version of ULF module that you are using. Many people have been very frustrated with the 552 ULF module. BMW supposedly has so many of these in stock that dealers are only supposed to sell them. This is unfortunate as the 387 ULF module is far superior. A couple places have them such as www.bimmernav.com and www.bmwbluetooth.com

Martin
Old 11-14-2004, 03:10 AM

I would really hope this is not the case, as mine was fitted in the factory. Is there any way to find out which version I have without removing all the trunk lining to find out ?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:59 AM

I just had to find our what version of ULF I had so just dismantled boot (trunk), the part number just had to be the only side not showing !! Anyway got the ULF out and I have the following:

84 21 6 945387
15 Sep 2004
H/W Rev 09.02.00
S/W Rev .:66

So glad I have the latest version of the ULF as described on bimmernav.

So hopefully it is just my T610 that is at fault, and a firmware upgrade will help. The Nokia 6310 has been OK so far but will not test it fully until at work from tomorrow.

Last edited by blisteringblue; 11-14-2004 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-16-2004, 10:54 AM

Just got the phone back with the latest firmware R6C005 (I think) and it has made not the slightest difference.

The Nokia 6310 did behave much better so I think for the sake of my sanity I will "downgrade" to my old phone again.

T610 for sale !! Any takers ??
Old 11-19-2004, 06:12 AM

Ah sanity restored, just upgraded to the motorola V600 and it is magic !! I even splashed out and bought the new V600 snap in adapter which also works great.

At last a happy many with happy bluetooth

Old 11-25-2004, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320d
Smile

Thank you, you have just given me some hope. I too have a SE T610, 320d, and a very disappointing experience so far with the Bluetooth. Trying to have a conversation has resulted in shout at the mic in the roof, and eventually giving up.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:04 PM

Glad I wasn't alone.

Still a lot of road noise at higher speeds with the V600 but the phone is much more stable. I tend to slow down now if I'm on the phone and it's fine.

New phone works with no lock ups, and you can dial from the phone or the steering wheel with no problem.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: '03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisteringblue
I have had the car for 3 weeks, I've given it a good go but I can say I am disappointed with my Factory Fit Bluetooth in a UK 3 series (320d). I have a Sony Ericson T610 bought especially as it is "fully" compatible.

Is it just me? Or are others having the same problems. What about other SE T610/616 users? Does your phone behave as it should? Do you think a phone firmware upgrade would help? I have the R1L013 firmware, (the minimum BMW recommend is R1A081 so I am past that).

I did really expect much more from this system for the price. My old 30 Bluetooth headset is better.
I've had the T616 for about 9 months now, and find it works beautifully with the car BT system.

That said, I do occasionally notice the phone bogging down if I try to use the phone's buttons while it's paired up with the car - just slow to respond, but it doesn't lock up.

ZPP CWP Xenon Phatbox Bluetooth Homelink