Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: x1
help for my run flat tire nightmare

I have a new x1 with run-flat tires with less than 1500 miles. Today my husband drove over a small screw while parallel parking on a street. I was standing on the curb and witnessed/heard the tire instantly deflate to point where it was very very visibly low. The screw is in the tread. It is Sunday and the nearby BMW dealership was open. We called to let them know we were bringing it in, and to ask the best way to get there via backroads. We explained what happened and he said we should not attempt to drive on the tire with it that visibly low as we risked damaging the car itself. So we called BMW assist and they sent a tow truck. The guy from the dealership called back and recommended we instead go to a local tire shop, such as a nearby firestone which he confirmed was open to see if they could repair it. He explained that not only was the BMW service center not open, they would not repair, only replace.

While waiting for the tow truck we called firestone, who said our run flat tire would likely need to replaced. He said he would look at it, but it probably could not be repaired (again simple tread puncture). Further, he said that even if he thought it could be repaired, he would not work on it without BMW signing a liability waiver. He said they did not have these type of tires in stock so he would have to order it if needed. We could not take the chance of having the tow truck take us there and then being stranded for however long it took to order a tire, so we opted for a tow to BMW. My car sits there now until tomorrow when the service center opens and they can call me.

I am outraged that I have a simple puncture and my new car had to be towed to the dealership. They did give me a loaner car thankfully. This is apparently not supposed to happen to a run flat tire, but it did, and instantly. My question is am I missing something? Could this be a defective tire? Is this something that should be covered by any warranty? I find it outrageous that I had to have my car towed because of a simple puncture. I had no other reasonable options than to have it towed to BMW where I am guaranteed to need to buy a new tire. Even if the RFT had worked as advertised, it apparently would still need to be replaced. That seems absurd. Based on my brief research some places would patch/plug a RFT, but now it seems they want BMW to sign a liability waiver to do so. This was confirmed from what the Firestone guy said.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I want to be informed when I talk to BMW tomorrow. On another note, I do love my X1.

BTW, my tires are "18" light alloy double spoke wheels (style 321) all season" It is all wheel drive, I think they are Pirelli- I can't double check because it is at the dealership.

Last edited by kgwells; 07-13-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: update
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Your tire is not defective. It performed as designed. RunFlats can be plugged or patched just like any other tire. Dealers, manufacturers, and tire shops insisting that they can't be repaired is BS. I've plugged RunFlats several times...not a sidewall though. Finding someone to do it for you can, however, be daunting. DO NOT REPLACE that tire. Tell the dealer that you have no intention of replacing it and would they kindly remove the wheel from the car and you'll pick it up and get it repaired. Then find an independent tire shop that can/will plug it or better yet, have them dismount it and repair it with a patch, or better yet, a plug patch.

For future reference, RunFlats can safely be driven on for a short distance...50 miles or so. The guy at the dealership is misinformed...driving on a deflated RunFlat will NOT damage your car unless you drive it over a curb or into a ditch. However, driving xx miles on a deflated RunFlat could render it "out of service" and in need of replacement. Best to not drive on one any more than necessary. Get yourself a Stop and Go Tire Plugging Kit and learn to use it. Also, get a small 12V compressor(a good one) and store it in the boot. Those two items would have had you back on the road in 20 minutes.

BTW, there are many many threads just like this one. Seek and learn.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xdrive28i 2012
Welcome to the touchy wold of the Run Flat Tire!
As per BMW's policy a puncture on a RFT cannot be repaired, thus the tire has to be replaced (ref manual under Tire -Damage).
Their main argument is "... due to nail punctures or road that form one integral unit. Since internal components cannot be mended, a damage tire should be replaced to ensure vehicle operation and safety."
You case is not unique and the usual solution when the puncture is small and not on the sidewall is to go to the closest "independent" local garage directly to have a plug installed for $10, eg. like you would have done for an ordinary tire. In my case my local garageman did wince but kept his liability speech for himself.
I recommend you get a small air compressor and a plug kit to avoid getting stranded (it will happen again...), which is more economical and takes less space than a spare tire.
Anyhow, understanding you mileage is 1500, it would be more than reasonable that you get a brand new tire free.
Good luck!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 PM

Wow, thanks to you both. A couple of things..just for my reference, if the rim is essentially nearly touching the road, clearly looking like a straight up flat vs. a very low air pressure tire, is that still safe to drive? The BMW guy said I was risking damaging the rim in addition to the tire if I continued to drive. Once we got to the dealership he looked at it and noted he had never seen a RFT so low. For future reference, is this a normal "RFT" situation? That would be good to know for the inevitable "next time." I initially assumed it was fine to drive, and was not asking for advice when we called BMW, however he gave unsolicited advice to NOT drive the car once we explained the situation. We were only looking for back road directions to the dealership- not advice on wether we should drive or not.

I did actually check other threads and there is conflicting info. I drove the car for about 2 blocks and we pulled over to figure out what we were doing. I get it loud and clear about the recommendation for the "independent" local garage- and thanks for that. I have read mixed things- such as no prob to patch/plug vs. if you do patch or plug it can no longer function as a RFT. That might be just fine, but is that accurate? problematic?

In the moment, I don't know if an air compressor would have helped much at least without a temporary plug kit. The air was so quickly and loudly escaping the screw hole. Removing the screw was also not an option. I was also under the impression that an option such as stop and go plugging kit was not ok for RFT. I would love clarification on this for next time.

I am pretty much going to go ASB (ape **** bananas) tomorrow, and I think a free new tire is at least worth pushing for. THANKS for the suggestion of asking them to remove and then taking the freaking tire elsewhere.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xdrive28i 2012
As for your additional points:
A) As HBWT mentioned earlier, RFT are supposed to be good for max 50 miles at low speed (max 50mph). Although a RFT is not supposed to get that low, using an air compressor next time will help to save the sidewall structure and the rim.
B) I personally prefer using a patch rather than a plug, however not all local garages are properly equiped to remove RFT from the rim as they are stiffer than the usual tires. Also, to my knowledge as long as the sidewall are not damaged (ref using compressor) than the tire should retain its ability to RF ... That thing said, being risk adversed, i would certainly change the tire if a second puncture happens to the same tire...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
You may also consider contacting Pirelli.
If indeed your RFT is not working as it should with a simple puncture,
then Pirelli might cover it for you.
They have a 1 year warranty on materials and workmanship.
The whole point of a run flat tire is that you can drive on it flat.
Not get towed.
Good luck!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
Hbwt +1

I'm with HBWT. Dealer wanted $636 to replace one RFT. Four bucks for a plug kit at the local auto parts store. Plugged the screw hole and used mini compressor to reinflate. For many years, Porsche provided a can of flat fix and a small compressor in lieu of a spare tire.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:31 AM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Happened to me wife drove 5km then no shop wanted to repair

Ended getting new tire

It rft

It s fcked....
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 07-14-2014, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 MCS / 2007 X3
Sorry about your problem. I hope this helps you out for the future.

I don't have an X1 just yet but I do have knowledge of runflat tires.

I have and still am the owner of a 2003 MINI Cooper S which came stock with runflats. As people have mentioned they are repairable much like any other tire. As long as the puncture is not in the sidewall or within a certain distance from it (an inch, if I recall). Back in the early 2000's not many tire retails would service them but now a majority of them will do the repair.

After replacing my runflats with regular tires I picked up a dynaplug repair kit and a few extra plugs (dynaplug.com or amazon.com) and I also carry a slime "Smart Spair" (slime bottle and inflator) in my car. it has come in handy a few times and i've repaired my tires and tires on my wife's X3. I only plan to use the green slime in case of a major emergency. That stuff coats the inside of your tire and from what I've heard is a PIA to get out when bringing in the wheel and tire for proper repair. I also plan to get the same set up when I take delivery of my X1 and I plan to keep botht the dynaplug and smart spair kit under the rear shelf. Form what I remember there is a perfect organizational area under there.

Last edited by alden; 07-14-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Yes, some tire places refuse to patch. I usually go to Discount Tire and they had different policies on different brands. Pirellis for instance, they didn't want to patch.

But since you have such a little mileage on the tire, just get a new one. It should be free (assuming less than 1 year, and less than 2/32 wear or something like this)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM

update

I just talked to the BMW service guy. I first talked to him before he looked at my tire. He of course confirmed they do not patch/plug, and that it is not recommended by BMW. However, he did say that some shops will in fact repair a RFT and that is an option. He did seem to be willing to look at the puncture and let me know if it is something that he thinks could be repaired elsewhere.

He also stated I probably could have safely driven the car per the RFT parameters even with a totally deflated tire (not what I was told by the BMW guy yesterday, but in fairness he was not a service guy). He noted for the tire to have instantly deflated like I described it, there probably was sidewall tire damage.

Once he had a chance to look at it, he put it up, and put air in which "viciously escaped." This was also the experience I had when it happened. He said that even though the screw entered in the tread it did in fact puncture/damage the sidewall-presumably it went in through an angle (the screw entered about 1-1.5 inches in on the tread, but maybe it was a really long screw ?).

He said I absolutely have to get a new tire that no one anywhere can repair this tire. This makes sense based on what I have read about sidewall puncture. The cost with labor/tax is about $450.

This situation does sort of "deflate" my current arguments and anger over RFT's in general, as it does appear to have functioned properly. **** happens, and it sounds like had I had a regular tire it would have also needed to be replaced with sidewall damage- I guess.

I am assuming everyone would be in agreement that I just have to suck it up and buy a new tire? I suppose it is possible the guy is full of crap at BMW, but what he said does sound legit. If anyone has another idea, please let me know. I do greatly appreciate the recommendations provided. I will be purchasing a small compressor and tire plug kit for the future.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Update again, talked to the BMW guy, and he said the screw went in at the worst possible angle and did serious tire damage. He said that towing the car was the right thing to do as it was not safe to drive on this tire at all. He said it probably would have damaged the rim, and the handling would be problematic. I asked if this was something I could take up with the tire manufacturer. He seemed to be like "for what?" I said that while I may have had a freak screw situation, but the tire was not able to run flat as advertised. We were going very slow as we were parking and ran over a screw, hardly an unusual situation itself. He did not seem to think we had a case at all. Seems to me that I might. Opinions?
Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Update again. When I talked to the BMW guy I specifically asked if this could possibly be covered under any warranty. He said not unless I purchased BMW's tire warranty- which I did not. I called Pirelli anyway to see if I had a case as the tire could not run-flat. Pirelli rep quickly informed me that it was absolutely completely covered under warranty- regardless of the details of what happened. I realize now that was what BMW Again was saying above, but I thought it would not apply to this situation. So, I left a message for BMW service guy that they would need to process this claim.

I am liking my run flat tires more and more right at this moment, not liking my BMW service guy so much however.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
Yes, some tire places refuse to patch. I usually go to Discount Tire and they had different policies on different brands. Pirellis for instance, they didn't want to patch.

But since you have such a little mileage on the tire, just get a new one. It should be free (assuming less than 1 year, and less than 2/32 wear or something like this)
That s correct

Noone wants to repair pirelli
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 AM
BMW bike whore

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
KG:
I have repaired both rear tires on my 2013 X1. They have Goodyear run flats on them and when I got my first "flat" I was able to add air and it held it for a day or so. After the TPMS went off again in two days, I KNEW something had to be in the tire. Did my research and decided to call Goodyear themselves who told me, their RFT's CAN be repaired , but a true plug-patch repair must be used. Google a plug-patch, you'll see what they look like. You need to use that type of patch to fill the hole left by the foreign object in the tire. in my area if you can believe it or not, not many people carry the true plug-patch. its either the standard patch you place on the iside of the tire or the "worm" plug you use with cement. I had to find an authorized Goodyear tire place and I was able to see for myself what those plug-patches look like. I still havent gone around to other indy flat fix shops to see if they sell the plug-patch, the place I have used before in Brooklyn, is a pretty big place who removed and replaced my tires on my SAAB 9-3, and I know for a fact they don't sell the plug-patch.
If they don't carry the plug-patch, i'm thinking the smaller shops wont either, still need to confirm this though. Anyway, I have two brand new RFT's sitting in my garage ready to go if either of those tires get another flat. I was able to find these tires for less than $300 and again, they are ready to go if needed. I'm glad Pirelli is stepping up to the plate for you, lets just hope your dealer doesn't hold your car hostage if they refuse to do the claim for you.
Hold to your guns, DO NOT pay for that tire if you can get one for free from Pirelli.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
There's nothing in the construction of a run flat that precludes it from being plugged the same as a conventional tire. The difference is that, with a conventional tire, it goes flat, you stop, put the spare on, and then take the tire in to be plugged. It doesn't get driven on while flat.

With a runflat, you pull into a tire shop to get it plugged with the tire still on the car. They have no way of knowing if you've driven 100 yards or 50 miles without air pressure. If you've driven on it for 50 miles without air pressure, the sidewalls are now compromised. They don't want to patch it and send you off with compromised sidewalls. You can see how that would be unsafe.

But, if you carry a plug kit and compressor with you and can plug it as soon as it goes flat or get it to a shop before the tire has lost significant pressure, it's perfectly fine and no different than plugging a conventional tire.

Every tire has it's advantages and disadvantages. If you were alone on some back road, in a sketchy area, in the rain, at 2 in the morning and got a flat, you'd probably love your runflats because they'd allow you to get home without having to stop to either change the tire or wait for AAA.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-15-2014, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
RFT or conventional - I always carry a spare tire, jack and wheel chock.

My BMW factory spare option in the back of my X:
Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 PM

I have this too
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Old 07-15-2014, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 xdrive X1 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
RFT or conventional - I always carry a spare tire, jack and wheel chock.

My BMW factory spare option in the back of my X:
Pat - this pic is from your X5, correct? I don't think X1's have that much depth below the hatch area floor bottom. Silver - how do you have yours set up?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
The new 2015 GTI is pretty nice and comes with a full size spare.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app