Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iT/5, 1988 325is
'95 M3 seems to lack low-end Torque

Hi all,

I just bought two 1995 M3's in roughish shape... Both cars have their plusses and minuses, and most issues I'll have no problem sorting on my own.

Both cars have Aftermarket exhaust systems and silly hot air intakes (unshielded cones).

The puzzle for me is that one car seems to make decent low end torque and the other car just doesn't. They are about the same past 3500 or 4000 RPM but one pulls noticeably harder from idle to the power-band.

I was told by the PO that the torquier car has a software tune, but my understanding is that the gains people experience from one-size-fits-all software tunes is mostly in the driver's head. Is it possible that software could account for this type of (very noticeable) difference?

Is it possible that this could be an issue with VANOS? What are the typical symptoms associated with a VANOS failure (I'm not getting any CEL)?

Any other ideas?
THANKS!!
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
[QUOTE=macindude;8462022

Is it possible that this could be an issue with VANOS? What are the typical symptoms associated with a VANOS failure (I'm not getting any CEL)?

Any other ideas?
THANKS!![/QUOTE]

same question here

1970 Morris Cooper S * 2008 BMW 135i Coupe * 2008 BMW 128i Cabriolet * 2003 BMW 525i Touring
Old 08-23-2014, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 325ix BMW M3
The vanos does not kick in until 3500 rpms so that is not the issue. Maybe it's coil packs and fresher spark plugs in one

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
wow!
helluva score.. I need to pick up a doppelgänger.

its called "maintenance"..
some get em.. some don't..

If its a "performance chip"..
It has a altered fuel map that will provide better off the line *feel*.

If you did a leak down test & compression you would probably notice some differences.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.