Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Bimmer enthusiast

Mein Auto: 08 x5 3.0si
Unhappy 3.0SI Spark Plugs Engine Fail

Hello All,

Recently I wanted to change my spark plugs at 91k. My car was running well the night I parked it. the next morning I went and unlocked the car, then proceeded to perform my maintenance per the DIY on the forum for x5s. I also looked at youtube to visually ensure my method. I successfully replaced all of the spark plugs and placed my coils back in firmly ensuring contact with the plugs.

After I reassembled all the components including MAF sensor and coil harness connections. I went to start the car and it would not start at all! it would hit and miss nearly on every cylinder! I went and replaced my old spark plugs and confirmed the process. I went to start and same issue!!!

I have fuel, air, and seemingly no spark!

Does this mean al the coils died at once?!?!!? I was hoping to avoid the major cost of coils for the next pay period.

Please Help!!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
I start off by saying I'm entirely unfamiliar with your engine, but on our Z4 there are a few ground straps between the coils and the valve cover. There's also a couple of grounds from the harness to the valve cover.

Could it be you maybe removed them and forgot to put them back?

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Bimmer enthusiast

With this engine, there is no need to remove the ground. I am familiar with the method of removing the ground on the z4 engines and on my 328i.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8
did you get this figured out yet? I'm in Houston too, and was planning to changed the spark plugs on my 4.8i this weekend.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Bimmer enthusiast

I had to tow it to eurocarwerk, they will take a look on Thursday or Friday as they are booked. I'd advise if you haven't replaced the coils to replace those at the same time.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshin808 View Post
did you get this figured out yet? I'm in Houston too, and was planning to changed the spark plugs on my 4.8i this weekend.
Well, whatever you do..DONT let OP help you!

(I kid, I kid... )

Sorry to hear- I am not familar with this motor, but I had ONE bad coil that caused misfires on multiple cylinders on an S62...very odd. Also, the coils plug into the harnesss individually, and screwing up one of those- or pulling the harness loose could cause this. Id look at the harness/connectors... (i guess you alreaady did this 20 times, eh?)

Let us know what it winds up being. I find it hard to believe all coils died at once. But I am sure if you told the shop you think it is the coils they will agree with you....$$$$

GL

Last edited by ard; 07-15-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8
i thought coils rarely fail. I I replaced 2 sets of spark plugs on my E46 and was still on the original coils when I sold the car at 175k.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshin808 View Post
i thought coils rarely fail. I I replaced 2 sets of spark plugs on my E46 and was still on the original coils when I sold the car at 175k.
In general I agree with this.... however, some car/coils do have high failure rates- the Beru's on the 996TT for example, as OE parts, usually start failing after 50k, 6 years. (heat was a btich on this application) But rarely do you see multiple parts fail simultaneously....one here, one there... plus the whole 'not start' thing is odd for a coil failure.

Not to be overlooked: one bad coil can cause misfires that- based on how the engine computes timing and faults- can show up as multiple misfires on other cylinders. This was on an S62, so older technology..a pita to narrow down. Just an FYI for people looking to troubleshoot down the road. I had 4 or 5 fault codes, all different cylinders... replaced one coil, perfect.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Bimmer enthusiast

Sorry for the late response everyone, hard to come back from a $1,500 hit...

Replaced all coils (some how they could not identify just one)

Replace Battery

My wallet is crying...