Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: E39 BMW 2002 530i
Replacement cost

I just moved from PA to VA and I cant get to my mechanic easily since he is a couple hours away and I need work asap so I was recommended to a local shop that does good work but the prices seem high I was wondering what you guys thought. Maybe I am just spoiled since I knew the owner personally of the last shop but here is what is going on, I have a hairline crack leaking a little coolant from the radiator but the guy recommended I replace not only the radiator the expansion tank, upper and lower hoses, water pump and thermostat. Pricing it at $1250 including labor. Its a 2002 530i with 122,200 on it. Also my serpentine belt needs to be replaced with parts/labor that will be 180. Whats your opinion?
Ads by Google
Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: E39
i just searched 'labor cooling system', heres a recent one http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...cooling+system

to put it together, you can search for costs of parts. the rest will be to determine the 'book time' on this work and your new shop's rate - i've seen indy hourly labor rates quoted here 75-100/hr and the dealer will be prob 50% more than that.

fwiw neither of those jobs are terrible to do yourself and there a lot of diys out there for them
Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i 9/99
I would would do some checking around and not use the Behr OE radiator. They appear to have quality issues lately and some are giving out in very short order.
Also, I would look at doing the job yourself as mentioned. you will save about 700 bucks to do it yourself and you can do it in a day with the right tools.
I know handing it to an indy is easier, but DIY has its own rewards.

Looking for Parts for my E39- PM Me for wishlist and to deal!
2000 528i- Current Daily Driver and Project Car
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G- 3.8 Supercharged. Sold to buy the BMW. Chipped, 27MPG, tons of torque.
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT- Traded in to get GTP. Electrical Hell.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: E39 BMW 2002 530i
Thanks, I was thinking about doing it myself but im just unsure about trusting myself to do it. Guess its time to man up and just do it haha aint nobody got money like that
Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyy View Post
Thanks, I was thinking about doing it myself but im just unsure about trusting myself to do it. Guess its time to man up and just do it haha aint nobody got money like that
See also:
  1. What is your local dealer/indy fixed labor rate? (1)
  2. What book does your dealer/indy use for flat rate time? (1)
  3. Where does the dealer/indy/sponsor buy their parts from? (1)
  4. How long does the dealer/indy quote for each repair (for better shop transparency) (1)
  5. How long did it take YOU to DIY that last maintenance or repair? (1)
  6. How much money, in toto, did the dealer/indy quote you for your repair? (1)

Quote:
Parts & labour rates:
  • Supplier prices lookup comparison engine (1) & BMW salvage (junkyard) parts lookup engine (1) & BMWfans search by part number (1) & Realoem nominal prices by part number (1) & EACTuning actual prices by part number (1) & BMW of South Atlanta actual prices by part number (1) & Maxmillian BMW dealer prices by part number (1) & the most often recommended parts suppliers (1) & what BMW E39 parts & supplies are best to buy OEM (1) & joining BMWCCA to lower parts costs (1) (2) & which BMW dealers match prices (1) & in situ pictures of common parts of the M54 engine (1) & what other tandem parts to buy while you're there (1)
  • Finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & the consumers' checkbook method of finding a good mechanic (1) & repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1) & other things to consider replacing while you're already there (1)
  • Making sense of the most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1) & BMW factory & dealer programming, coding, and diagnostic software such as INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, DIS, EasyDIS, Progman (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) & related BMW diagnostic-tool forums (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
  • Where can one obtain the BMW KSD for flat rate unit (FRU) labor pricing (1) & the BMW TIS for technical service bulletins (1) (2) & an on-line WDS (1) & a text-searchable PDF Bentley E39 repair manual, volume I (1) (2) & the best price on paper Bentleys (1) & the Bentley Publishers Online Technical Library (1) & if you can no longer find the TIS, here's why (1)
  • What to tell those who haven't yet bonded with their E39 who feel they don't have time, money, expertise, or tools to DIY & why the tools are free when they do so (1)
  • Glovebox printout of the dozen lists and procedures and specifications to print for emergency use (1) and how to save $ money to qualify for free shipping on UPS/DHL/USPS/FedEx by stocking O-rings & gaskets & bulbs & vacuum hoses & fuses & wiper blade inserts & belts & bearings & oil filters & cabin air filters & engine air filters & fluids in your garage whenever ordering from the recommended parts suppliers.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 07-15-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i 9/99
You will surprise yourself. All you need is basic tools patience and the diy. A little help from the trusty forum members couldn't hurt either lol

Looking for Parts for my E39- PM Me for wishlist and to deal!
2000 528i- Current Daily Driver and Project Car
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G- 3.8 Supercharged. Sold to buy the BMW. Chipped, 27MPG, tons of torque.
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT- Traded in to get GTP. Electrical Hell.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
That's about the going labor rate for a cooling system labor charge ($700 +/-). If you combine both jobs and replace ALL cooling parts (tensioners, rollers, etc.), you'll save more than $800 in labor alone. If you don't mind paying someone else $800, have at it. But if you value your money and want to use for things you can't do yourself, then consider DIY. Many here do. If you can read, follow directions and have basic competence with tools, this is a doable DIY. The DIYs are very comprehensive with excellent pictures.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986
Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
If you can read, follow directions and have basic competence with tools, this is a doable DIY. The DIYs are very comprehensive with excellent pictures.
Plus, as an added bonus, the tools are free!
- What to tell newbies who think they don't have time, money, expertise, or tools to DIY & why the tools are free (1)

Just type /cooling system overhaul f3 in the bestlinks, and you'll find this:
- List & picture of all the cooling system overhaul parts to replace (1) (2) (3)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need