Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,483
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Performance Tire Comparos by TireRack

Anyone interested in what TireRack has to say about a particular tire when tested using a BMW 328i on their track should check this out. Very informative.


http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...?cid=C27274220
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,286
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
For those of us still using RFT's this is good information. Kind of confirms what I'd already suspected about my Conti's.
__________________
If your sport doesn't put blood, dirt or grease under your fingernails,
then it's just a game.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:50 AM
highsided highsided is offline
Registered User
Location: SW France
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: E92 330D LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Anyone interested in what TireRack has to say about a particular tire when tested using a BMW 328i on their track should check this out. Very informative.


http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...?cid=C27274220
This "news" is old hat. For example, the 3rd generation Bridgestone, which the review is based on, was announced in January 2010, and available in July the same year.

Anyone who's driven on early Bridgestones will be fully aware that the latest generation is a far superior tyre. I'm fed up with members slating runflats when they have no experience of the latest rubber. A recent European consumer group test found virtually no difference in the performance between runflat Bridgestones and the non runflat version of the same tyre.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:49 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,764
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Hmm...

One observation by Tire Rack:

Another very important point is the unseen damage that occurs when using the run-flat tire's ability to drive without air pressure. You can't simply fix the puncture, air back up and be on your way.

After our drive on the flat tire there was very little sign on the outside that the tire had been driven on without air.

But once dismounted, a look at the innerliner shows the internal sidewall damage, and the telltale ring of wrinkling/shredding seen whenever a tire has experienced too much deflection from underinflation (or overloading).

Driving on a conventional tire without air has more immediate and similarly devastating effect on the tire...

...sorry, I couldn't resist.
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,764
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highsided View Post
This "news" is old hat. For example, the 3rd generation Bridgestone, which the review is based on, was announced in January 2010, and available in July the same year.

Anyone who's driven on early Bridgestones will be fully aware that the latest generation is a far superior tyre. I'm fed up with members slating runflats when they have no experience of the latest rubber. A recent European consumer group test found virtually no difference in the performance between runflat Bridgestones and the non runflat version of the same tyre.
B'Stone '3G' may be an advancement to their prior generation, I agree, but their "new" DriveGuard RF announced here in the U.S. seems to be more marketing hype as I see no merit over the 3G tire. Range and duration has not changed...50 miles 50 mph.

When RF tires 'break free' of these limitations...then we can talk about 'superior' technology IMO.
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM
ArcticGrey94 ArcticGrey94 is offline
Ich habe keine ahnung...
Location: Las Vegas,NV USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: '12 Alpinweiss 335i e93
I had a loaner car recently with Michelin PS runflats and they are truly top notch tires imo. I bought a wheel/tire set from GetBMWparts in May and they sent me a set of Bridgestones dated from late '07. I know, there should be a law. But they show no weather checking and I'll get it in writing that the tires are recent if I ever buy tires online again. Beware that Tischer/GetBMW will send you 7 year old tires if you order from them. This climate we have here causes tires to start to dryrot after 3-4 years anyways and I've been way too busy this summer to make a big stink about it with them. So I'm rockin' a new set of old gen Bridgestone RFT's and I can tell the diff between the Michelin's. My '08 had a set of 2011 Bridgestone's and the difference at least to me between old gen RFT's and later gen really isn't much. A bit less rocky ride is all I've noticed. But it is noticable. Sry, is this even on topic? I have used the comparos from Tire Rack in years past and bought a set of tires that weren't "BMW approved" due to the really great ratings and reviews for this particular tire. They were for the '03 525 so I don't even remember the tire make but they were really good and not too pricey either.
__________________

Current BMW: '12 Alpinweiss 335i e93 premium. K&N filter, Dinan exhaust, Silver 199's, Eibach springs, Koni yellows.

Previous BMW's include:
'08 335i e90 Arctic Metallic sport/premium
'03 525i e39 Sapphire Black premium
'94 325i e36 Arctic Grey sport
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2014, 07:33 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,764
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticGrey94 View Post
I had a loaner car recently with Michelin PS runflats and they are truly top notch tires imo. I bought a wheel/tire set from GetBMWparts in May and they sent me a set of Bridgestones dated from late '07. I know, there should be a law. But they show no weather checking and I'll get it in writing that the tires are recent if I ever buy tires online again. Beware that Tischer/GetBMW will send you 7 year old tires if you order from them. This climate we have here causes tires to start to dryrot after 3-4 years anyways and I've been way too busy this summer to make a big stink about it with them. So I'm rockin' a new set of old gen Bridgestone RFT's and I can tell the diff between the Michelin's. My '08 had a set of 2011 Bridgestone's and the difference at least to me between old gen RFT's and later gen really isn't much. A bit less rocky ride is all I've noticed. But it is noticable. Sry, is this even on topic? I have used the comparos from Tire Rack in years past and bought a set of tires that weren't "BMW approved" due to the really great ratings and reviews for this particular tire. They were for the '03 525 so I don't even remember the tire make but they were really good and not too pricey either.
Will they be exactly 7 years old?

NOBODY (Internet) is going to 'cherry pick' tires for you according to the manufacturing date. Go ahead...try to order according to the tire's manufacturing date. They want to move out their 'oldest' inventory first...or they just ship 'randomly' (more likely).

You MAY be able to do this with a 'local' dealer but I doubt it. Few people can read the tire's DOT manufacturing code. When was this tire made: '479'?
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
7 year old tires? Wow, I would certainly not accept those, if true. My two recent sets from TR were very fresh, IIRC.

Interestingly, I was pleased with certain fluid purchases from Tischer, for example the brake fluid was much fresher than the stock at the nearest dealership (which I noticed when I was there buying an MT drain bolt that I had stripped ).

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 07-17-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 AM
highsided highsided is offline
Registered User
Location: SW France
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: E92 330D LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post

Few people can read the tire's DOT manufacturing code. When was this tire made: '479'?
That's a tricky one. Must be pre year 2000; after 2000 there would be 4 digits. Those made in the 1990s would also display a triangle, which isn't there. So I'll guess the triangle should have been incuded, in which case the tyre is late November 1999.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 AM
ArcticGrey94 ArcticGrey94 is offline
Ich habe keine ahnung...
Location: Las Vegas,NV USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: '12 Alpinweiss 335i e93
I posted that I wasn't trippin' on the fact. I said be aware of the fact.
__________________

Current BMW: '12 Alpinweiss 335i e93 premium. K&N filter, Dinan exhaust, Silver 199's, Eibach springs, Koni yellows.

Previous BMW's include:
'08 335i e90 Arctic Metallic sport/premium
'03 525i e39 Sapphire Black premium
'94 325i e36 Arctic Grey sport
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 AM
ArcticGrey94 ArcticGrey94 is offline
Ich habe keine ahnung...
Location: Las Vegas,NV USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: '12 Alpinweiss 335i e93
2307 twenty third week of 2007.
__________________

Current BMW: '12 Alpinweiss 335i e93 premium. K&N filter, Dinan exhaust, Silver 199's, Eibach springs, Koni yellows.

Previous BMW's include:
'08 335i e90 Arctic Metallic sport/premium
'03 525i e39 Sapphire Black premium
'94 325i e36 Arctic Grey sport
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2014, 01:53 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,764
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highsided View Post
That's a tricky one. Must be pre year 2000; after 2000 there would be 4 digits. Those made in the 1990s would also display a triangle, which isn't there. So I'll guess the triangle should have been incuded, in which case the tyre is late November 1999.
Tires made in the 90s would have included a 'decade' triangle as you noted. This mark doesn't have one, thus it's quite ancient.
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms