Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVITCH View Post
Well, after heading up that grade yesterday, that lousy teeny hesitation started at about 1800 feet above sea level, and then as I got closer to the top, the engine light comes on, and car slows from 65 to 40 in a hurry. Very dangerous! Within a minute, with my flashers on, the engine light went off, and again I was able to cruise at 65 as I reached the top. Called the dealer and they seemed as disappointed as me. Being towed to BMW Tricities today. Matt the service mgr said he is anxious to see the code. He said they will get this fixed.
I pray they do. Pretty annoying!
PLEASE keep us posted!!!! And if you could share any paperwork or diagnosis you may get from your dealer. Like I said before there's this thing with EGR/NOx and altitude going on....

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Engine failure warning again

The engine failed again on that steep grade heading North out of Lewiston, Id. last Tuesday. BMW Assist sent a tow to load up the car again on Wed. The dealership in Tricities was able to see the error codes and THIS TIME, the dealership was told that the car needed reprogramming. The two parts that they had previously replaced were still functioning as new, and after a 15 hr reprograming over night, discussion with BMW back East and several test drives, they delivered the car back to me on Friday, late. I drove it up that grade on Sunday, and it was perfect. We will see if this reprogramming has solved the problem.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVITCH View Post
The engine failed again on that steep grade heading North out of Lewiston, Id. last Tuesday. BMW Assist sent a tow to load up the car again on Wed. The dealership in Tricities was able to see the error codes and THIS TIME, the dealership was told that the car needed reprogramming. The two parts that they had previously replaced were still functioning as new, and after a 15 hr reprograming over night, discussion with BMW back East and several test drives, they delivered the car back to me on Friday, late. I drove it up that grade on Sunday, and it was perfect. We will see if this reprogramming has solved the problem.
This is very interesting. BMW (as normal in these cases for every manufacturer) is very secretive on what the reprogramming entails: changes in map, changes in thresholds and all the other stuff is always a well guarded secret.

It could either be that someone along the various EGR valve recalls something wasn't done properly (there are 3 or 4 bulletin that involve the EGR valve where based on the production month it would be one thing or another thing) or someone simply screwed up and did a sloppy job. Alternatively it could be some new software update floating around...

Thanks for the update, and keep us posted!!!!

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^ Could also be that the various parameters that BMW decided "if you see this, trip an error code" were in fact incorrect! (perhaps this is you 'change in thresholds' above?)

As we've seen with this issue historically, people get a code- BMW runs various test plans...parts replacement ensues...code returns. When "reprogramming" fixes it, I suspect that it isnt 'Reprogramming with the same software' but rather 'update with all the patches since the last release'.

I do not think it is 'sloppy software updates' at a dealer level- I think the BMW server defines a 'load' for the car based on VIN and packages...AFAIK dealers cannot over-rule that. Again, my impression.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 PM

ard has it. My thoughts precisely.

If I can at all dot the i's and cross the t's I'd say it has to do with values that because of various endogenous environmental variable can fluctuate within a certain range but if they fall outside said range they are symptomatic of a problem...

Same thing with your high blood pressure: what is "high": it's above an arbitrary limit...

Now to the real problem: I've been agreeing with ard often lately; should I be concerned? [Smiley face]

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 08-11-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Problem seems to be solved

So far after several trips up that grade, the Beemer is performing beautifully. Glad that this problems seems to be solved. Will be taking it on a leisurely trip to Wisconsin, via Idaho, the Teton's, the Rockies, Rapid City, and back through Colorado, into Utah, and home.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Well, the X5 diesel performed beautifully on our road trip (4348 miles) from Idaho into parts of the Midwest and back again. Best ride I've ever had on this trip that I've done versions of it 30 times before. The "multi contour seats" are the best I've ever sat in for extended periods of time. We averaged 26.4 mpg on this trip, and I'll be taking it in for it's first and last free service under original new car warranty later this month. So glad the computer exhaust egr problems seem to be behind me.