Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Benz S211 Convert

Mein Auto: 535 Xi Wagon, MB CLK430
Question Slow leak in washer reservoir

My car dongs for a refill about every six weeks, and there is no way I use that much fluid. I thought I had seen a write-up on how to get to the reservoir, but forum search does not produce meaningful information.

Does anybody have instructions on how to get to the reservoir? My understanding is that either the pump or a grommet (seal?) develop a leak. Has anyone tried plugging a slow leak like mine, or is it not worth the effort?

Trust me, I know what I am talking about. I am a smartass by training and have been in this business for decades.

This vehicle ran OEM pads on one axle and Akebono Euro on the other (left). Guess which ones were where!
Now there are Akebono Euro pads on both axles (right). This picture was taken after ~2000 miles without a wash.

Advertisement
Old 07-12-2016, 01:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
my car drinks through wiper fluid too. I'd think its because of the high pressure headlight nozzles.
2007 Silver Grey BMW 550i - Black Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Sport Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Navigation - PDC - Debadge - Eibach Pro-kit on M-Sport Shocks - Matte Black Grill - Matte Black Exhaust - 5000K LED Angel Eyes - 5000K Interior LEDs - 5000K License Plate LEDs
2004 Black Opal Mercedes-Benz CLK320 - Sold
2004 Pewter Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor - Sold
Old 07-12-2016, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi 6 speed
If there is a leak, it seems like you should see a pool under the car. At least, my wife's X5 did when I needed to replace a washer pump.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Benz S211 Convert

There is no pool under the car. If the leak is small enough to take six weeks to drain a gallon, I would mostly expect evaporation. Being in California, I use the washers maybe once a week. Compared to other rides with headlight washers I have had, that would be outsized consumption. How many wpg (washes per gallon) are considered normal?

Trust me, I know what I am talking about. I am a smartass by training and have been in this business for decades.

This vehicle ran OEM pads on one axle and Akebono Euro on the other (left). Guess which ones were where!
Now there are Akebono Euro pads on both axles (right). This picture was taken after ~2000 miles without a wash.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Replacing.htm
Old 07-12-2016, 08:52 AM

The tank holds like one and a half gallons. No way you are using it up in 6 week with one spritz a week.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
Just a few search results from the E60 sub-forum...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...r+pump+grommet

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...her+pump+motor
Old 07-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Benz S211 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
The tank holds like one and a half gallons. No way you are using it up in 6 week with one spritz a week.
Agreed. That would be a quart per wash, and I am sure I'd notice that!

Thanks txag and toga for the links! That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Not sure why my forum search did not bring up those Bimmerfest threads...

Old 07-13-2016, 01:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
JayDee let us know what you find out. I'm interested to see if i might having the same issue or no issue. No puddles here too.
2007 Silver Grey BMW 550i - Black Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Sport Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Navigation - PDC - Debadge - Eibach Pro-kit on M-Sport Shocks - Matte Black Grill - Matte Black Exhaust - 5000K LED Angel Eyes - 5000K Interior LEDs - 5000K License Plate LEDs
2004 Black Opal Mercedes-Benz CLK320 - Sold
2004 Pewter Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor - Sold
Old 07-13-2016, 01:52 AM
Benz S211 Convert

Will do. Not sure how soon I'll find the time, though. Quite busy at the moment.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Benz S211 Convert

I did find the time today. The reservoir was accessible enough for a thorough inspection without even taking the wheel off or jacking up the car. Steering all the way to the left gave me decent access.

That is the only positive aspect, though. Not even the slightest trace of a hairline fissure anywhere. All three pumps (three because it is a wagon) seem to hold their water. Even squeezing them out of their mounts and stretching the grommets did not produce the smallest droplet. No indication of any leaks in the area. The flex hose between the filler funnel and the tank does not show any moisture on the outside either. I monitored everything for a half hour after refilling. Nothing visible at all.

Looks like nothing on this car is ever straightforward. I will check again in a couple days without using the washer.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 PM

As I remember the pump on wife's X5 had a ruptured diaphragm and that's where the leak came from.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Peter 530XIT

Mein Auto: 2006 530XIT
The resevior is in the left side front wheel well. Toward the headlights. Take the wheel off, remove some 9mm bolts of the fender liner (not all of them have to come off - you just sorta fold it back) and there it is. On the wagon at least, there are 3 pumps. Headlight pump, rear window washer pump, and front windshield washer - in that order left to right. My rear window pump leaks and I just received a new one along with the grommet/filter and will change it when I replace the front struts soon. It will be very easy to do once you get get access.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 AM
Benz S211 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
As I remember the pump on wife's X5 had a ruptured diaphragm and that's where the leak came from.
But that means you did see liquid on the outside of the pump, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter530xit View Post
On the wagon at least, there are 3 pumps. Headlight pump, rear window washer pump, and front windshield washer - in that order left to right. My rear window pump leaks [...]
How did you find out it was the rear window pump that leaks? Did you have liquid on the outside of the pump?

The liquid level in my car was below the headlight pump after I had been driving with the low level warning since my original post (i.e., for about two weeks). That would make the headlight pump the suspect, right? Any chance the leak is actually downstream of the pump? A half hour after refilling the reservoir to its top, there was no leak visible at all.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee4711 View Post
But that means you did see liquid on the outside of the pump, right?
Yes, there was washer fluid outside the bottle. I'm trying to recall the details - I think it went like this. It wasn't obvious which part was bad and where the water was coming from. There are some hoses and I had three pumps on her X5: front, rear and another for the headlights. I fiddled around with the grommets and lubed them up with some Sil-Glyde. Still leaked. Finally decided to try and replace the pumps. The windshield pumps weren't so expensive, so I replaced them both. The headlight pump is more expensive, so I left it alone. Having the new pumps installed, I then took apart the old pumps. The diaphragm was torn in one of them and upon closer examination you could see water had come out the vent hole in the pump housing.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Peter 530XIT

Mein Auto: 2006 530XIT
I could see fluid around the pump joins but nothing else where.
There are no hoses between the tank and the pumps. It's unlikely you have a leak in the hoses between the pump and the squirter nozzle. At least that wouldn't cause the slow leak you have of the tank. The tank is down low so its not gravity feeding through them either.
My headlight squirter nozzles were leaking very bad and spraying the car next to me on each side and I found that each side has 2 nozzles but one of the two was missing altogether - on each side. The housing was cracked so a new nozzle wasn't going to stay in there either. I couldn't find a new replacement so I just plugged the open hole and realigned the other nozzle. Works great now.

Last edited by Peter530xit; 07-25-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Benz S211 Convert

Thanks for the details, twh and Peter! As I said, there was no liquid visible after half an hour. I'll check back in a few days and see whether I can locate the leak. Stay tuned.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search