Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-01-2016, 02:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 545i
Ever wonder what happens when....

It is said that we can learn a lot from our own mistakes. But it is wiser to learn from the mistakes of other's.

This morning before heading off to work, I checked my oil level. It was down 1 quart so I topped off the levels. While letting the last of the oil drip from the plastic bottle, I also topped off the windshield washer fluid (or "Tobacco Spit" as my granddad used to call it). Then promptly put the cap back on the washer fluid and put the unused bottle back up on the shelf.

Then I pulled off the empty oil bottle, replaced its cap and threw the empty bottle away in the large trash can. While returning back to the car parked in the garage, I stopped to say hello to the neighbor lady getting into her car to drive off to work. And in the words of Steve Martin's the Jerk, "I was a dauber and sexxy guy". (But really doing a better impression of Barney Fife of the Andy Griffith Show). Mr. Smooth pulled down and secured the hood of the car, then got in and drove off to work thinking he is so good to his pretty little ride.

I got about 10 miles down the road and began to smell an odor that first made me think of diesel exhaust, but there was no other diesel pick ups or big rigs around. Then when I was stopped at a red light, I saw the tell tale sign of a little bit of smoke coming up from under the hood. That was when it hit me...

"Dumb ass!!! I bet you forgot to replace the oil cap on the engine", I said to myself.

Yep! Sure enough. Thankfully the cap was still sitting on top of the motor, right where I left it. What a horrible mess I made of the engine compartment. Oil splashed out of round oil fill hole (where the oil cap goes) and all over the side of the engine and soaked into the felt sound proofing material that mounts to the hood itself.

So there I am in my good work clothes trying to wipe up the mess with an oily rag, being very embarrassed at myself, and thinking I got what I deserved. Karma kicked me in the butt again. This time for trying to show off to the pretty ladies and not paying attention to the job at hand. By the way, it took 2 full quarts of oil to fill to the proper level.

I'm lucky and thankful I didn't get on the freeway and head the 35 miles to work at my usual 75-80 MPH with the cap off. I would have certainly lost all the oil out of the engine and that would have caused very serious internal engine damage. I'm also lucky that the oil cap didn't fall down into the fan belt area, which could done serious damage to the radiator and other engine parts.

MORAL OF STORY: Learn from my stupid mistakes!

Pay attention to even the simplest of tasks and to double check that you have reattached all filler caps and access doors, and to remove all tools from the engine bay before driving away. And if your going to show off for the ladies, don't be a "Jerk" or clumsy Barney Fife.

If you learn from my mistake, you won't make a mess of your car and you'll be more like Bond...James Bond.

Humbly yours,

Tahoebronco

2005 545i E60 (USA), type code NB33 type LIM, steering LL, engine N62, drive HECK, tranny AUT, ALPINE WIESS 3 (300), LEADER DAKOTA BEIGE 3 (LCBA), DOM 12/13/04.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2016, 03:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Ha. Nice share. Good thing you are squared away now. Like you mentioned about learning from others mistakes. I've always said, 'Stupid people don't learn from their mistakes, smart people learn from their mistakes and wise people learn from other peoples mistakes." Don't sweat it Tahoe, you weren't the first and you sure won't be the last

delete pls 62k 65k 69k Co.87K (Predator007)
Old 11-01-2016, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
Yes good you got to it in time! I recently made the same mistake, but only let it idle for a couple seconds so thankfully all that happened was that i got a nice shine on my engine covers after wiping down the oil.
2007 Silver Grey BMW 550i - Black Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Sport Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Navigation - PDC - Debadge - Eibach Pro-Kit on M-Sport Shocks - Matte Black Grill - Matte Black Exhaust - 5000K LED Angel Eyes - 5000K Interior LEDs - BMW License Plate LEDs - Euro Taillights - Silver Amber Turn Signal Bulbs
2004 Black Opal Mercedes-Benz CLK320 - Sold
2004 Pewter Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Coupe - Sold
Old 11-01-2016, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I did the same thing when I first got my 545. Such a mess, I drove around 18 miles before I noticed something was a miss. Lost around 2 qts and the engine required cleaning for a bit. Hood pad is still oily....
Old 11-01-2016, 06:02 AM
Casual Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Maybe it's because of stories like yours that BMW switched to a flip top filler cap.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Way back in the 90's my brother bought an even older 318 (or something like that) which didn't have an oil cap, but instead a rag stuffed into the valve cover.

Luckily the rag didn't get caught up in the valvetrain before he sourced a generic oil cap.

About a year later he limped onto a dealer's lot to trade it for something else. Good thing too, we're not sure the car would have re-started.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi 6 speed
Did the same thing on an old Mercedes diesel I had 20 years ago. Found it much later and the hood sound deadening undershield was soaked.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 AM
:D

Mein Auto: Dirty 530i
I did this once too but it was my coolant cap, luckily by time I drove down the street the coolant wasn't bubbling yet....
Sports package | Prem package | Prem sound package | Cold weather package | Light package | 18x8 Matte Black / 15mm spacers: 20mm offset | Carbon Fiber: Grill, Side mirrors, M5 trunk spoiler, LED gear shift knob, Interior trim | Mtech v3 AE | M5 front bumper | Interior white LEDs | Muffler delete | Dual exhaust gun metal tips

---
RIP Selina - 2001 BMW 525i (Prod: 10/2000)

"Call it what you want, it's a BMW"
Old 11-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Benz S211 Convert

Mein Auto: 535 Xi Wagon, MB CLK430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
Maybe it's because of stories like yours that BMW switched to a flip top filler cap.
That would make sure you don't lose it, but you still can leave it open, right?

I vaguely remember a similar experience. That feels like eons ago and must have been with my W123 Mercedes diesel. The cap was caught by the injection lines.

Trust me, I know what I am talking about. I am a smartass by training and have been in this business for decades.

This vehicle ran OEM pads on one axle and Akebono Euro on the other (left). Guess which ones were where!
Now there are Akebono Euro pads on both axles (right). This picture was taken after ~2000 miles without a wash.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: E60 525xi
This is about the equivalent of leaving the drainplug out of a boat.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: E60 550i
I've done this before sad to say. My lesson - don't top off oil at 2 am...
Old 11-01-2016, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Thanks for sharing this story! The timing chain is so close to fill hole that it will easily sling all of our precious oil around fairly quickly. My '08 Navigator has a nice, lifted spout away from the chains where it seems like it would be harder the oil slosh out.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:55 AM

Thanks for the moral support everyone. I had no idea that so many other folks from this site would have done the same thing. It's kinda nice knowing I'm not all alone. Anyway, thanks again for all the kind remarks. My ego's wounds are starting to heal.

2005 545i E60 (USA), type code NB33 type LIM, steering LL, engine N62, drive HECK, tranny AUT, ALPINE WIESS 3 (300), LEADER DAKOTA BEIGE 3 (LCBA), DOM 12/13/04.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi 6 speed
There was some fallout from my mistake. For several years afterwards, my wife asked me every time after an oil change if I replaced the filler cap!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
There was some fallout from my mistake. For several years afterwards, my wife asked me every time after an oil change if I replaced the filler cap!
Ouch! I hate it when they won't let something go.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search