Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 550i
My 550i was stuck in the back - it might be done

On sunday evening after running some errands, I was in the right lane of the freeway since my exit was coming up and all of a sudden - bang - I was hit in the drivers rear corner; I spun around a few times, with the front grazing the snow covered sidewall, and came to a stop facing traffic. No airbags deployed since there were no sudden stops and the initial impact wasn't to the doors. The other car was on the other side. Thankfully traffic was light and people were able to avoid hitting me. I must have hit my head on the A pillar swinging around so I had that checked out at the hospital later that night, but thankfully everything checked out fine. The police were there right away and were very helpful, though they forced me to use their towing service instead of AAA. Per the police, the other driver has a suspended license and had a kid in the car w/o a car seat.

I had the car towed home since I don't know what to do with it yet. I'm waiting for the insurance adjuster to come to take a look at it. Every time I look it, it seems worse and I think they might total it sine it's there so much that needs to be cut out and straightened. The doors open/close fine so it's got that going for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3397_1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	584956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3398_1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	584957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3399_1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	584958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3400_1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	584959   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3401.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	584960  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3402_1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	584961  
Old 12-21-2016, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 05 545
wow...as long as you're ok. let the insurance work it out and get something else.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M-sport AT
Glad that everybody walked away. Cars can be replaced.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:42 PM

Insurance says it's right on the border and up to me if it's fixed/totaled.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:50 PM

ask them how much would it be if they decided to total the car ....then ask them how much can you do a buy back with a salvage title , seems like you have a lot of good usable parts up front
Old 12-25-2016, 03:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
What are you leaning towards right now? Towards letting it go repairing it?

Old 12-25-2016, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
You might be in luck. The big question is sub frame, and, the laws in your state a to what considers totaling along with titling. It might be that the left front fender and the airdam space can be found as entire parts and placed on the car, in a scrap yard. My bet is yes. That doesn't look like something that hurt the suspension.

The rear is the most concerning part, because quarter panels are a pain, and the most expensive usually because of fit and complexity. IF the subframe is true, it is entirely possible that even if the car is totaled based on cost of repair, it can be safely repaired, and within what you are given for the car, just by a good indie bodyshop. I have had this happen on a few occasions, where a car was totaled, but it was purely based on cost. The body shop I use is a bit slow, but quite good, and inexpensive. He was able to fix the car, and my insurance company then reinsured it for the full value of the car. But only because the body was not considered totaled.

Your car looks doable with that kind of a side swipe. I know it hit you hard, but these cars do seem to have very durable suspensions.

If you truly love this car, that is hope. If you would rather find another very nice 550i, and they are out there, you can do that too.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:59 AM

At first I was leaning towards fixing it, but after talking to some folks and moving the car in the garage and looking at things again, I'm leaning towards total now. There's so much to repair and no matter what they say it won't be the same. Plus they're going to find something else that'll probably push it over the edge. They're going to have to remove all the wiring from the car to rebuild the back so there may be electrical problems down the line. They're going to have to remove the rear window to remove the quarters and weld in new ones, so there may be water leaks down the line. The panel gaps between the back doors/rear fender is different side to side, tThe drivers door doesn't feel the same way when I close it, and the exhaust tone sounds different.
I'm going to test drive a few different cars to see what I might move to - if I can't find something I really like I may end up buying another E60.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost7 View Post
ask them how much would it be if they decided to total the car ....then ask them how much can you do a buy back with a salvage title , seems like you have a lot of good usable parts up front
This is trick. VA doesn't allow true salvage titles back on the road. However, if the car is not a safety issue totaling, like a bent frame, which gets labeled salvaged, but simply the cost of the repairs, you can fix the car, and the title is released and remains a real title. Yes, the record of the accident exists, but you are not marked as a salvage car, because salvage cars cannot be put back on the road.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
I had a similar accident in my old CLK. Except a bit more serious. Airbags and so on. Well because of the cheap labor and cheap used parts they repaired the car and it wasn't totaled. Though I hated the car after that, especially after all the money and time i invested into it, loved that car. Door wouldn't close properly and a lot of water kept making its way into the trunk. Also some of the lines were a bit off. Anyway my body shop was probably ****, but this type of accident isn't so easily repaired.
2007 Silver Grey BMW 550i - Black Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Sport Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Navigation - PDC - Eibach Pro-Kit on M-Sport Shocks - Kumho Ecsta LE Sport Tires - High Gloss Black Grill, Trim, and Exhaust Tips - Euro Taillights - Debadge - 5000K Angel Eyes, Interior, and BMW License Plate LED Bulbs - Silver Amber Turn Signal Bulbs - Osram Night Breaker D1S Bulbs
Old 12-27-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
This is trick. VA doesn't allow true salvage titles back on the road. However, if the car is not a safety issue totaling, like a bent frame, which gets labeled salvaged, but simply the cost of the repairs, you can fix the car, and the title is released and remains a real title. Yes, the record of the accident exists, but you are not marked as a salvage car, because salvage cars cannot be put back on the road.
Wasn't too sure on the law from VA, My thoughts were to buy it back and have it as a parts car, but with a salvage title.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
If you end totaling it out and are willing to sell off some parts, there's a few I'm willing to take off your hands.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX550 View Post
If you end totaling it out and are willing to sell off some parts, there's a few I'm willing to take off your hands.
I second that. I need a few front ends parts, and I'm within driving distance (kind of)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search