Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-25-2016, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 525i
Are there coding limitations on CCC

Hi y'all. First post ever. Tried to search a lot but it doesn't look like anyone else has asked the question I have.

My car is a '06 E60 with professional Nav and CCC. I recently experienced the CCC failure that's been spoken a lot about here. I'm at a place where I can either replace it with a new remanufactured one for my car or a used one off eBay. My question is about the latter option, obviously since it's a third the cost of the former: can every CCC that physically fits in my car (that's the easy part for me to check) be coded onto my car successfully?

I know one surefire way is to get a part number that's in mine's supersession list, but that's not happening for me. Probably coz i just have bad luck or I have a European spec Bimmer while the ones I keep seeing came off American Bimmers.

Last thing I want is to buy one and find that despite fitting, it's electronically or whatever incompatible with my car. So I'm asking to know what's possible/not.
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
well you could use realoem.com put in you vin and find the ccc computer in the diagrams. you press the part number and you'll get a couple part numbers that are exchangeable for the one that was listed. Any working CCC from those part numbers, even if used, can be mated to your car with the right coding.
2007 Silver Grey BMW 550i - Black Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Sport Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Navigation - PDC - Eibach Pro-Kit on M-Sport Shocks - Kumho Ecsta LE Sport Tires - High Gloss Black Grill, Trim, and Exhaust Tips - Euro Taillights - Debadge - 5000K Angel Eyes, Interior, and BMW License Plate LED Bulbs - Silver Amber Turn Signal Bulbs - Osram Night Breaker D1S Bulbs - MULF2 and 6FL Retrofit
Old 12-27-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFD View Post
well you could use realoem.com put in you vin and find the ccc computer in the diagrams. you press the part number and you'll get a couple part numbers that are exchangeable for the one that was listed. Any working CCC from those part numbers, even if used, can be mated to your car with the right coding.
Thanks DanielFD. I did that already and I think from everything I've read that's been the easy part - getting part numbers off realoem. However, in real life for three months I haven't been able to find a single part with a number on that list, so I'm trying to assess the risk if any at all of venturing off it. Let's say my list has 65839138441 as a part number, but the one I find being sold is 65839138442 (last digit different) - will it be code-able to my car?

My current actual part number is 65839117561 btw. And realoem going by my VIN said the part I should have had is 65839117559. That's what got me thinking about going with a part that's not on the realoem list. But I just don't know if I can or not.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:03 AM

Here ya go. Plugged in your actual part number and got his http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=65839117561+

If you open that page there are a bunch of part numbers that will show up. Some cannot be exchangeable with yours (probably because the part number is a known defect), even though it will probably work. Best bet is finding the latest part number available such as "65839197799" finding that number will probably be impossible, so you try and get the model before that and so on. You get what i mean. Honestly best way to do this is simple. Just find the CCC you want and just pop it in the search bar in realoem.com such as "65839138442" and you can figure out that it can be bilateral exchanged with "65839197799" which is the latest model for the e60. So your good to go with that part.
2007 Silver Grey BMW 550i - Black Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Sport Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Navigation - PDC - Eibach Pro-Kit on M-Sport Shocks - Kumho Ecsta LE Sport Tires - High Gloss Black Grill, Trim, and Exhaust Tips - Euro Taillights - Debadge - 5000K Angel Eyes, Interior, and BMW License Plate LED Bulbs - Silver Amber Turn Signal Bulbs - Osram Night Breaker D1S Bulbs - MULF2 and 6FL Retrofit
Old 12-28-2016, 02:46 AM

Understood. And if I luck out and find a part that's exchangeable with either mine or that latest one - will it still need coding to work on my car or will it be plug and play?
Old 12-28-2016, 04:28 AM

thats very luck dependent. The hardware is basically the same between all the e60s whats different between models is what options and accessories your car has and its region and so on, basiclly coding is VIN dependant. So if your donor car has the same options and is from the USA and similar build date its possible it might not need coding, most of the time the CCC might just work as soon as you plug it but you might notice weird artifacts like the CCC telling you can turn on welcome lights for example but your car doesn't support that. Somtimes and most probably your CCC will turn on but no sound, which is also dependent on if your donor car had a CD changer or an amp and so on.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:43 AM

So all the eccentricities you're describing are what you fix by coding, right? So that if the part is on that realoem list, then I can code it to behave as though it was in my car from factory?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:48 AM

Thats exactly how coding works. Yes with the CCC couldn't be any simpler to code to your car. In fact the coding program thats supposed to be used default codes your CCC using the VIN. So it will all be back to normal.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:48 AM

oh but you'll probably lose voice control, if you care about that. It needs a special FSC code that you can only get at the dealer. (they probably wont give it to you without taking the car)
Old 12-28-2016, 01:45 PM

I'm good without voice control. I've spent about 3 months now living without radio or AC or the ability to reset my tyre pressure monitor so I know what's important

Let the search begin...
Old 12-28-2016, 02:07 PM

What does nonexchangeable retrospectively mean? This page http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=65839170704 has that written next to my part number (ends 17561). Also what do bilaterally exchangeable and retrospectively exchangeable mean?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:14 AM

Yea they are a bit weird.

Nonexchangeable Retrospectively : Means you cant use the old part numbers anymore (probably a defect which caused the part number change)
Bilaterally Exchangeable : Exchangeable between models (part number that is specific to a chassis, but can be exchangeable to your chassis, i.e. e63>e60)
Retrospectively Exchangeable : Means you can use the old part number without an issue (probably because BMW changed suppliers, or modified the part to fit more vehicles)

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
ccc, coding e60, e60 ccc failure, e60 ccc replacement, idrive

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search