Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Water in the trunk = Electronics Malfunction

Folks,

I'm new to the forum today after searching the site for some clues about electronics malfunctioning in my 2008 535i. Several good posts led me to understand that leaving a three bags of ice in my car for about 2 hours would cause water to pool in the spare tire pan, just where the engineers thought it would be a good idea to place electronics and no drain.

Exact Symptoms:
TPMS Failure
SOS Failure
AUX Audio In Failure
Bluetooth Failure
USB Audio Failure
Satellite Radio Failure - I didn't have a subscription but at least the menu worked, etc.

Steps Tried:
I removed all of the water and I tried drying out the Tire Pressure Monitor System Control Unit and the MULF-2 Unit that appears to control everything else listed above. That didn't work.

Questions:

1. Is it possible that I just need the fault cleared from the computer? If so, how do I do that?

2. It's very possible that I will need to buy a replacement TPMS Control Unit and / or a MULF-2. I see them on e-Bay for a couple hundred each. I see a few different model numbers on the various units. Do I need an exact match on the part number or can I have some minor variation?

3. Once I have the replacement units installed, does the car need any coding? If so...

4. I read some articles that mention that I can buy a cable and software for my laptop to code the car. There appear to be a few choices. Any recommendations on what cable / software to buy?

5. I'm not really up to the challenge of doing the coding myself. I'd be happy to pay a few $$ for remote assistance. Any recommendations on who to ask?

Thanks for your thoughts and assistance.

Steve
Ads by Google
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Steve,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your car. I don't know all the details of your questions, but certainly recommend that you move any new electronic modules to other areas of the trunk once you replace them.

I put together a DIY on how to do this - although mine is a bit more limited scope seeing as all I had underneath the tire was a relay and the micro power module.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=619320

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I appreciate it. I found your post when doing my research. I will definitely be doing the modifications when I have it working again. Do you have any insight on the questions so I can get the components working?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
deleted

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 01-21-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Samestra,
I had this same issue a few years back with a cooler that fell over in my 07 530i.
The console went crazy with all warnings.
I let everything dry out for 2 days along with disconnecting the battery and TPM.
After two days the only issue with the TPM warning when I started it.
I bought a TPM on ebay but that did not work either so be careful.
I had to go to the dealership for a new TPM and they also moved it away from under the spare tire.
After that $500 TPM I learned my lesson.
Good Luck!!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i/04 530i
I am trying to figure out the Chinese jigsaw puzzle that is the connector lock from the harness to the MPM. Mine was submerged beneath the spare tire and totally moldy and corroded/ Needless to say the message center AND the radio quit working. Can someone out there explain how to disconnect the MPM from the harness? Please. All I want to do is replace the MPM and relocate it to higher ground! Thanks.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 09 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by samestpa View Post
Folks,

. Several good posts led me to understand that leaving a three bags of ice in my car for about 2 hours would cause water to pool in the spare tire pan, just where the engineers thought it would be a good idea to place electronics and no drain.
But leaving 3 bags of ice in the truck for a couple hours is a good idea

I know this post is old and the op will more than likely never see this but this just makes me laugh....
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ddhester
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
rdc module

I bumped my key on a rainy day and had my spare bay flood out. My displays went crazy. I drained the water and all electrical items were good except my tire pressure monitor "aka" RDC module it's a lil white box. I tried to clean it but it was dead. I went to advance auto to use their code checker and I erased the code's. No luck. I looked on ebay to avoid the dealer but I couldn't find one. So I went on www.5series.net great website. Look for people that are parting out their cars due to accidents. I asked a few people but the part was already sold. So I went to the dealer just to ask and the part only cost $266.00 out the door at the BMW dealer in Jacksonville Florida and the unit is plug and play
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ddhester
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
Oh I have a 2007 550i