Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
E60 Sound Upgrade

Hello friends,

I drive a 07 530i. Love the car in many ways but the sound system was/is just patethic. I had a basic sound system (4 Mid range) and that was it! It didn't even have tweeters! I recently upgraded to BSW Stage 1 kit, so I got 4 Mid Range and 4 Tweeters. It is a nice upgrade but costly considering the level of improved audio I get. At high volumes, there is distortion and increasing the bass levels through iDrive spoils everything. So far i've spent in excess of $600 but not yet satisfied with the system. Appreciate if someone can help me get a decent sound system going. I won't be replacing the BSW kit. I do know that there are empty spots under the front seats which could be utilized for subs. I'd like to know:

1) Any software upgrades to have better control over music output
2) Speakers/subs upgrade for the floor
3) Amplifier if required?
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
I had the Stage I as well and I agree it is costly for what you are getting. The 550 I am picking up tomorrow has Logic 7 and it sounds great..
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Raymond Lee
Mein Auto: BMW and MBZ
Yes, I totally agree that stock sound system in BMW is no better than sound system you find in $10,000 range cars. I just don't like my sound system in 2008 528i.

Last edited by Raymond Lee; 06-24-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
BSW stage 1 kit only sounds good if you upgrade the Amp. Trust me... Change that and you will be impressed.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330ci
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the 550. I'm in the market and most of the numbers have been in the 50's (09 & 10).

tx,

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanger View Post
I had the Stage I as well and I agree it is costly for what you are getting. The 550 I am picking up tomorrow has Logic 7 and it sounds great..
Old 06-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I was in the same boat. I even thought the Logic7 system that was in my 08 550i sounded sub par.
I researched BSW kits, but they don't yet have a complete kit that included amps and subs.
Knowing Reus Audio Systems for many years and listening to his installs from my friends cars, I bit the bullet and went with Reus.
What an amazing difference! I am extremely happy how it sounds now.
The price not cheap and is not for everyone, but it was well worth it for me.
Though, being in Saudia Arabia, I'm not sure if Reus is an option for you.
Black powercoated OEM wheels, matte black kidney grills, shadowline rear "550i" emblems.
Reus Audio System
http://www.socal28.com/bmw/socal28bmw.htm
Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i Sport
WJGreer is the most knowledgeable person in this area that I have seen. Send him a private message asking for his opinion directly and I think you'll get a thoughtful and comprehensive answer.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:20 AM

So i managed to contact to WJGreener. He sure knows the stuff well.. Here is what he had to say:

I think the BSW Stage 1 system is fine; you haven't wasted any investment there. Their speakers appear to be private label MB Quart speakers, which is a mid/high end aftermarket brand.

I think the issue is your amplifier. The OEM amp that came with the standard audio (non Logic) system is terribly underpowered. To a lesser extent, the under-seat subs you have aren't great either.

The amp is the real problem and the harder one to solve. The subs are a super easy upgrade - Earthquake SWS-8 2 ohm subs are an exact fit, right down to the screw holes.

For the amp, there used to be a line of Blaupunkt amps designed to interface with BMW OEM systems without any cord cutting. They were called the PnP (plug-n-play) series, and they are discontinued. You may be able to find one as new old stock or second hand. I've got the PnP 555 in my car, which provides 40 watts per each of the four channels plus 300 for the subs, which is a good amount for the car.

If you can't find one of those amps plus the BMW E60-specific cable that you buy with it, the challenge is a little greater. You'll need to intercept the cable coming back to the trunk area from the head unit, which carries high level audio as well as other stuff in a multiple-pin termination, pull the audio out of it, convert it to line level, at which point you could run it to any aftermarket amp.

That sort of project is beyond my reckoning; I would have to take it in somewhere to be done.

I'll also mention that the EQ capability in the standard audio head unit is bass and treble only, and not too useful. If you go through the effort to upgrade your amp via the second route I describe above, it would be helpful to add a decent equalizer in the chain.

This info may be discouraging. I am undeniably describing a couple thousand dollars in upgrades. Less if you can do it yourself. But here we are...somehow BMW got away with including a fundamentally lame audio system in a high end sports sedan.

Let me know how you fare.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
I got a pair of the subs. The only problem is finding someone with the tool to take the seat out to install them. Cant just move the seat forward. They have the pnp amp on ebay still, here is a link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT. I got the earthquake subs on ebay too. If I cant find someone to install them. Im just going to sell them. What I did to upgrade my sound is added a JL audio sub/amp that was prefab made for the E60 if you dont have the logic 7 system. I dont lose any trunk space except for the little corner on the left. The amp was small and sits on the back of the trunk. I posted pics awhile back the may still be in here. The sytem sounds nice with the added sub. I also had them install a bass knob under my steering wheel so I can control the bass.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsBMW View Post
I got a pair of the subs. The only problem is finding someone with the tool to take the seat out to install them. Cant just move the seat forward.
It's just a big hex key. The trick is moving the seat all the way forward before you loosen the hex screws and tilt the seat back. If you don't, you won't have enough clearance to work under there. If you do move the seat first, there's plenty.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorclaw View Post
WJGreer is the most knowledgeable person in this area that I have seen. Send him a private message asking for his opinion directly and I think you'll get a thoughtful and comprehensive answer.
Thank you for that compliment.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Lee View Post
Yes, I totally agree that stock sound system in BMW is no better than sound system you find in $10,000 range cars. I just don't like my sound system in 2008 528i.
Totally agree. I 've always thought my basic sound system sucks also. You would think a 50K car would come with a better sounding system. My former '07 Nissan Altima's Bose system put's the standard BMW system to shame.

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
It's just a big hex key. The trick is moving the seat all the way forward before you loosen the hex screws and tilt the seat back. If you don't, you won't have enough clearance to work under there. If you do move the seat first, there's plenty.
Do you think I can by the hex key from any auto part store?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 AM

I just went and look at my car. You are talking about the 2 big screws that are in the track. If I just unscrews those and I will be able to tilt the seat up?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I just went and look at my car. You are talking about the 2 big screws that are in the track. If I just unscrews those and I will be able to tilt the seat up?
There's one at each corner; you have to remove the plastic trim to get at the ones in the front. They're 1/4" hex screws - you might want to get a hex bit socket so you can use a ratchet wrench, versus a simple 90 degree hex key - those screws go into the frame and are in pretty tight.

One word, though - if you have not done anything with your amp, the Earthquake sub upgrade probably won't sound much different. I think the stock amp has 20 watts for the subs, which is just comically inadequate to reproduce bass frequencies at any satisfying volume. No amount of speaker quality can compensate for an insufficient amp.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 06-24-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
There's one at each corner; you have to remove the plastic trim to get at the ones in the front. They're 1/4" hex screws - you might want to get a hex bit socket so you can use a ratchet wrench, versus a simple 90 degree hex key - those screws go into the frame and are in pretty tight.

One word, though - if you have not done anything with your amp, the Earthquake sub upgrade probably won't sound much different. I think the stock amp has 20 watts for the subs, which is just comically inadequate to reproduce bass frequencies at any satisfying volume. No amount of speaker quality can compensate for an insufficient amp.
I havent done anything to the amp yet. I just want to install these speakers cause all they are doing is collecting dust right now. I will upgrade that amp later. Thanks for the info
Old 06-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that compliment.
And, you delivered. Amazing info there. You get my vote for site MVP.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Mine as well!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i
Hoping to jump in here as I have read other threads and the info is nowhere near as clear as what I have gleaned in this one, so thanks already!

I just got a 2007 525i and love it, but like you guys - think the sound is sub-par. What I'm trying to determine which system I actually have. I know it's isn't Logic7, but were there 2 other options? Does the presence of an amp of any kind in the trunk indicate one system over another? Attached is a pic of the label from what is mounted on the drivers side behind the trim panel in the trunk... I pretty sure that is an amp of some sort. What's odd is that if I have under seat sub-woofers, I sure can't see them! Are the hidden by the foam??

I'm not necessarily up for replacing all the speakers - yet, so would adding/changing a new amp and subs as described earlier in this thread make any effective difference without doing the BWS speaker kit upgrade? ...Or should I do it the other way around?

I'm beginning to think that the reason info on this is so difficult to find is that BMW is not proud of what they put in their cars - and maybe they shouldn't be!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input you have....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwamp.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	282920  
Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
Hoping to jump in here as I have read other threads and the info is nowhere near as clear as what I have gleaned in this one, so thanks already!

I just got a 2007 525i and love it, but like you guys - think the sound is sub-par. What I'm trying to determine which system I actually have. I know it's isn't Logic7, but were there 2 other options? Does the presence of an amp of any kind in the trunk indicate one system over another? Attached is a pic of the label from what is mounted on the drivers side behind the trim panel in the trunk... I pretty sure that is an amp of some sort. What's odd is that if I have under seat sub-woofers, I sure can't see them! Are the hidden by the foam??

I'm not necessarily up for replacing all the speakers - yet, so would adding/changing a new amp and subs as described earlier in this thread make any effective difference without doing the BWS speaker kit upgrade? ...Or should I do it the other way around?

I'm beginning to think that the reason info on this is so difficult to find is that BMW is not proud of what they put in their cars - and maybe they shouldn't be!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input you have....
Check to see if you have speakers in your rear doors. If you do, you've got Logic 7. If you don't, you've got Standard audio. Those were the only two options for US built E60s.

That is a picture of your amp - both the standard and Logic amps are located in that area.

And - if you had to choose one or the other, upgrading the amp would have a more noticeable effect than upgrading the speakers.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Yep, definitely no speaker grills anywhere in the rear doors - and no EQ options in iDrive menus, just bass/treble.

Looks like I need to score one of those PnP amps from Blaupunkt... Any different recommendation instead of that one?

Also, should I be able to see the subs under the seat or did the standard system omit them at the factory? Do the Earthquake SW-8s still retrofit easily if so or is there no way to mount them?

Thanks again for the great info!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 AM

OK WJ Greer. Those screws are way to hard to get out. I used my drill with the hex bit. I also tried by hand with a ratchet. Any other Ideas?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Update: BSW looks like they are developing a simple amp replacement with wiring harness ready to go. Might be the ticket for simplicity IF it's not too far out to release date.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-04-09-E60E61/
Old 06-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
OK WJ Greer. Those screws are way to hard to get out. I used my drill with the hex bit. I also tried by hand with a ratchet. Any other Ideas?
Are you saying that you found the bolts, had the wrench to fit them, and just couldn't get them off? If so, I'm thinking that the only answer is more torque, vs. adding an agent to reduce the friction such as a rust remover (even though there shouldn't be any rust there). If they are bolts, they are meant to be loosened with the correct tool and enough force. At least that's the Orthopaedic answer....
Old 06-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorclaw View Post
Are you saying that you found the bolts, had the wrench to fit them, and just couldn't get them off? If so, I'm thinking that the only answer is more torque, vs. adding an agent to reduce the friction such as a rust remover (even though there shouldn't be any rust there). If they are bolts, they are meant to be loosened with the correct tool and enough force. At least that's the Orthopaedic answer....
Its just going to take more torque. I know I have to right tool but those bolts I guess are attached to the frame. So I either need a stronger guy other then my self or a better tool. I know they arent rusted but I will get a friction agent to help as well. What about an air tool?