Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-07-2006, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 2005, sports package
Palm Treo

i have a palm treo 650 , and it works with my 2005 530i , does not give me the phone book and all features but still works good.
am happy with it , that atleast it works and i dont hv to change my fon.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Glenn Krochnal

Send a message via AIM to glenmal
Mein Auto: 2006-530xi & 2006-330i
Thumbs up We use

We use a Moto V551 & a Razor. Both use Cingular. They have full functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduncan
Find a Compatible Handset - Not all Bluetooth phones will work!
Unfortunately, not all Bluetooth compatible phones will work (partially or fully) with BMW's Bluetooth systems. As such, “Bluetooth” is an ambiguous term and insufficient to ensure compatibility. That is unfortunate, since "Bluetooth" is all that is typically included in the phone's description.

My experience is a good example: my do-everything SonyEricsson P900 does not work with my Bluetooth-capable car (the SonyEricsson P900 lacks a "handsfree profile" required to work with the BMW implementation of integration of cell phone and car). Successful 6 Series Bluetoth retrofit, but phone incompatible

Even if you have a "BT-compatible" phone with the BT "handsfree profile," there are other features that may or may not work properly. For example, the phone should automatically share its phone book with the car to enable a set of nice features: based on your phone's address book: Calling Name display and

BMW Customer Assistance has a short list of compatible phones (SE T68i, SE T610, SE T630, Motorola V600). A more extensive compatibility list is here:
More extensive list of BMW-compatible phones

What phones work for you?
Please share what works for you so that we can all share in your experience and knowledge.

Please post your experience:
----------------------------------------------
Phone model:
Car model:
[ ] ability to make/receive calls
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS

----------------------------------------------
530xi - 2006 Silver/gray Auto,Prem pkg, fold down seats,PDC,HUD,Cold weathr Pkg, Comfort seats, NAV, Satellite, heated rear seats, straighened vertical post between passenger doors from wreck 6/1/2006.

330i -2006 silver/gray- Auto, Sport pkg, Premium Pkg,Cold Wthr Pkg, NAV, Satellite
Old 05-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmal
We use a Moto V551 & a Razor. Both use Cingular. They have full functionality.
Glenmal, are you sure? When I tested the Moto mobiles, they did not support SMS functionality. No one else reported that this is supported either.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 05-22-2006, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550I all options
Samsung A920

I have a 2007 550I. The Samsung A920 works great! No problems at all. The phone book syncs in seconds and the voice dial is perfect. I tried almost every phone in the car and wanted to stay with sprint pcs.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 740iL
Those who use the V710, what software version do your phones have? According to the BMW site, only the one with 1.4 would work. How about the newest version 02.03?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:26 PM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspira
Glenmal, are you sure? When I tested the Moto mobiles, they did not support SMS functionality. No one else reported that this is supported either.
I think SMS is only supported with iDrive, so if one has a non-iDrive vehicle, then to him it is fully functional.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: 5501 6 speed
Dropcall

I JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 550I 6 speed, great car. I was very excited to use the Bluetooth feature and then ran into HELL. I asm using a Motorola Razor cingular phone.

The phone syncs up fine most of the time. Address book loads up fast.
BUT, every time I am on a call and another one comes in (call waiting), and I decide not to answer it, Both calls are dropped instantly after the second call stops beeping. It happens every time and is very frustrating. Right now I have turned my call waiting feature off permanently on the Razor which defeats the purpose of call waiting. I saw that other people have this problem on other forums. I am using cingular as the carrier. Anyone have a fix or update answer for this? I hope so!!!

I also sync my phone to an apple mac using isync. I am now the proud owner of two complete phone books on my phone, one regular one and one that strarts again indented e.g. with the hyphon.
-Bob Smith
-Frank blob
The whole phone book is there indented followed by the regular phone book that follows, Both phone books show up on the phone and the car bluetooth screen. Every time the phone is paired up and I am in the car the phone asks me to accept or deny the connection, there is no automatic link without my physical activation. It gets very frustrating finding the phone and then linking them manually every time.

Now the garage door opener, that is a joke, This car refuses to accept my mirror button command, my wifes acura works like a dream.
Next I will be sharing some great information about some phone book tricks as soon as I get the bugs out of the BMW system.
thanks in advance for any help with this!!!

Last edited by DROPCALLBABY; 05-29-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: '15 M3 DCT; '14 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsbmw2007
I have a 2007 550I. The Samsung A920 works great! No problems at all. The phone book syncs in seconds and the voice dial is perfect. I tried almost every phone in the car and wanted to stay with sprint pcs.
Is there a BMW docking cradle available for this fone? Tks.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
Samsung i730 works with 2007 550

Phone model: Samsung i730 - Verizon (upgraded to Windows Mobile 5)
Car model: 2007 550
[x] ability to make/receive calls
[x] phone book automatically synches to car
[ Haven't tried ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[ x ] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ Haven't tried ] ability to send/receive SMS

I am very pleased to report that the Samsung i730 works with my new car. I was frankly very surprised. It even uploads ALL of my contact entries and does it very quickly (around 300 names and numbers). BMW has greatly improved the pairing process compared to my 2005 X3. It is simple, fast, and you don't need to remember a passkey (you simply enter a number of your choosing on both the car and the phone).

This phone now integrates as seamlessly as any of the "officially approved" phones. I don't know if BMW changed something for 2007 or the Windows Mobile 5 upgrade helped.

If you use this combination, be sure to select both the "Hands-Free" and "OBEX Push" Bluetooth services on the phone when you pair it with the car. If you do not choose "OBEX Push", the phone book from the phone will not upload to the car.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 545
New Moto Q - bkuetooth fully compatible with 2007 550i?

The new Moto Q phone is to be released by Verizon. Does anyone know if this phone will be completely compatible with the BMW system?? Are there any resources out there to ge definitive info??

Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Palm Treo 700W Bluetooth Interface w/2004 BMW 545i

I have a 2004 BMW 545i that had a integrated Motorola V60 cellphone that worked with the car in hands-free mode. I recently got the the BMW BTUM module which fits into the cradle and attempted to get it to pair up with my Palm Treo 700W. No luck. The BMW dealer says the phone's bluetooth protocol is not compatible. Can anyone confirm or refute this? Any options to get the Treo to work with this car?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 AM

My Update

I Spoke to Cingular, then took the car to BMW where I received a phone Bluetooth update leaflet on BMW letterhead. It explained that the BMW Bluetooth does not support call waiting at any time with a Razor phone.
If you get another call while on your phone and ignore it, both calls will end after the waiting calls ends. The only way around this issue is to answer the other call using your actual phone, then after, resume the other call. In this instance 99% of the time the other call will have dropped. Other option is to turn off call waiting on the Razor altogether.

This is a MAJOR FLAW. I am shocked that no one else has this issue or has commented on this on the forum. I have the correct firmware on the phone. I am now dealing with Motorola directly and their service department. I am dealing with the head technician. They have identified the flaw. They also realize that the incoming waiting call does not show up on the Bimmer screen. They are working on a fix to make the Razor fully functional with Bluetooth. If anyone wants to see the paperwork from BMW I can fax it to them. The Razor is flawed and NON fully functional, and to be honest is a major pain in the behind every day for me. I have a brand new 550i 6 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPCALLBABY
I JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 550I 6 speed, great car. I was very excited to use the Bluetooth feature and then ran into HELL. I asm using a Motorola Razor cingular phone.

The phone syncs up fine most of the time. Address book loads up fast.
BUT, every time I am on a call and another one comes in (call waiting), and I decide not to answer it, Both calls are dropped instantly after the second call stops beeping. It happens every time and is very frustrating. Right now I have turned my call waiting feature off permanently on the Razor which defeats the purpose of call waiting. I saw that other people have this problem on other forums. I am using cingular as the carrier. Anyone have a fix or update answer for this? I hope so!!!

I also sync my phone to an apple mac using isync. I am now the proud owner of two complete phone books on my phone, one regular one and one that strarts again indented e.g. with the hyphon.
-Bob Smith
-Frank blob
The whole phone book is there indented followed by the regular phone book that follows, Both phone books show up on the phone and the car bluetooth screen. Every time the phone is paired up and I am in the car the phone asks me to accept or deny the connection, there is no automatic link without my physical activation. It gets very frustrating finding the phone and then linking them manually every time.

Now the garage door opener, that is a joke, This car refuses to accept my mirror button command, my wifes acura works like a dream.
Next I will be sharing some great information about some phone book tricks as soon as I get the bugs out of the BMW system.
thanks in advance for any help with this!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Glenn Krochnal

V551

I use Moto 551. All functions work as does the integrated charger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad545i
Can you tell me how you send/receive calls, i was be able to send from my SE910i sometime, sometime it did not work, i did not know what seems to be a problems, i don't need to transfer the phone book, all i need is send/received call.

I got 05 545i, i think it was same as in 05 X5 system. Thanks in advance.
530xi - 2006 Silver/gray Auto,Prem pkg, fold down seats,PDC,HUD,Cold weathr Pkg, Comfort seats, NAV, Satellite, heated rear seats, straighened vertical post between passenger doors from wreck 6/1/2006.

330i -2006 silver/gray- Auto, Sport pkg, Premium Pkg,Cold Wthr Pkg, NAV, Satellite
Old 06-04-2006, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
I Spoke to Cingular, then took the car to BMW where I received a phone Bluetooth update leaflet on BMW letterhead. It explained that the BMW Bluetooth does not support call waiting at any time with a Razor phone.
If you get another call while on your phone and ignore it, both calls will end after the waiting calls ends. The only way around this issue is to answer the other call using your actual phone, then after, resume the other call. In this instance 99% of the time the other call will have dropped. Other option is to turn off call waiting on the Razor altogether.

This is a MAJOR FLAW. I am shocked that no one else has this issue or has commented on this on the forum. I have the correct firmware on the phone. I am now dealing with Motorola directly and their service department. I am dealing with the head technician. They have identified the flaw. They also realize that the incoming waiting call does not show up on the Bimmer screen. They are working on a fix to make the Razor fully functional with Bluetooth. If anyone wants to see the paperwork from BMW I can fax it to them. The Razor is flawed and NON fully functional, and to be honest is a major pain in the behind every day for me. I have a brand new 550i 6 speed.
I have a T-Mobile Rzor and calls do not get dropped when a second call comes in. I just hear my phone notify me that second call is coming in. That second call can only be answered through the phone keys.

IIRC it has also been mentioned that the second call not showing up on your NAV screen is not a BMW issue but a BT standards issue. There appears to be no method by which any BT phone can notify the car of a second incoming call.

T-Mobile is the only vendor (I think) that has not tweeked with the BT settings that meet BT standards on their phones. Some vendors have neutered the BT on the phones they offer so that you cannot download pictures via BT directly into your computer, only through their picture sending service for which they charge a fee. Who knows what else they have messed up.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Presley348

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
Exclamation All Verizon RAZER BMW Bluetooth functions work, all but the charger

All Verizon RAZER BMW Bluetooth functions work, all but the charger with cradle due to mine was built in 3-04. I WAS TOLD I NEEDED A 9-04 an after build date to power up my cradle charger! (Which makes no sense all it need is power tan to it to make it charge my phone)...so I am using the cig. outlet with Motorola RAZR car charger in rear of console instead to charge my RAZR cell! (Such unsightly in a e60 BMW to see black running and hanging wires to charge our cell phones! Next time I will buy an USA car, at least we expect such solutions and answers with our Corvettes, etc. LOL)

Sincerely,

Old 06-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Glenn Krochnal

Question I do believe

Jonathon, I believe with have full functionality with both phone. They are on the BMW approved list (albeit only Cingular) and we have not found a function that does not work. However, I do not know what SMS is, soooo..............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspira

Old 06-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Glenn Krochnal

Jonathon, see below

While Bluetooth® wireless technology is a global standard, there are a variety of profiles that manufacturers can choose to implement in their Bluetooth devices. In certain cases, the BMW hands-free system and the Bluetooth mobile phone do not share the necessary profiles to work together as a hands-free system. For this reason, not all available Bluetooth phones are compatible with the BMW hands-free system. Below you will find a list of mobile phones1 that have passed compatibility testing with the BMW hands-free system.

Motorola SLVR L7
View Known Issues7

Visit Website
Motorola PEBL
View Known Issues6

Visit Website
treo 650
View Known Issues4

Visit Website
Blackberry 7130e
View Known Issues8

Visit Website

BlackBerry
8700c
View Known Issues5

Visit Website
Motorola RAZR V3

Visit Website
Motorola E815

Visit Website
Docking Cradle Available

Motorola
RAZR V3

Visit Website
Motorola V330

Docking Cradle Available
Motorola
RAZR V3c

Visit Website

Motorola
Black RAZR V3

Visit Website
Motorola V600

Docking Cradle Available
Motorola V710
View Known Issues2

Visit Website

Motorola V551

Visit Website
Docking Cradle Available

Siemens S66
View Known Issues3

Visit Website
Docking Cradle Available

Motorola V600

Docking Cradle Available

Sony Ericsson
T637

Docking Cradle Available

Old 06-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmal
Jonathon, I believe with have full functionality with both phone. They are on the BMW approved list (albeit only Cingular) and we have not found a function that does not work. However, I do not know what SMS is, soooo..............................
SMS is text messaging.

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 06-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:

Could you please publish a scan of this paperwork. I will also send you a PM with my fax number if faxing is easier. Thanks.

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 06-04-2006, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbmw22
The new Moto Q phone is to be released by Verizon. Does anyone know if this phone will be completely compatible with the BMW system?? Are there any resources out there to ge definitive info??

Thanks
Phone book transfer didn't work properly. I'd add contacts to the Q and they didn't show up in iDrive. Others that transferred initially, didn't show up the next day, even though they were still in the phone. Also had problems with some contact phone numbers being garbled in iDrive.

I wasn't impressed with the Q's performance. It locked up several times, the battery meter didn't work (always showed full), menu navigation--and just about every function--is very slow, to name a few. Call sound quality was excellent, though.

I returned it after getting a replacement and having similar issues. Phone book transfer didn't work properly in either one. I don't think any smartphone BT is fully compatible with the BMW BT.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presley348
All Verizon RAZER BMW Bluetooth functions work, all but the charger with cradle due to mine was built in 3-04. I WAS TOLD I NEEDED A 9-04 an after build date to power up my cradle charger! (Which makes no sense all it need is power tan to it to make it charge my phone)...so I am using the cig. outlet with Motorola RAZR car charger in rear of console instead to charge my RAZR cell! (Such unsightly in a e60 BMW to see black running and hanging wires to charge our cell phones! Next time I will buy an USA car, at least we expect such solutions and answers with our Corvettes, etc. LOL)

Sincerely,
A cleaner solution would be to get the power adapter that plugs into the glove box flash light outlet, that you can plug the Moto car charger into, then it would be in the glove box and out of sight.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:11 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Cingular 2125 smart phone

Pairs up and works fine in both our 2006 550 and our 2006 X5. I haven't been able to figure out the SMS / MMS yet, but then the phone's freaking owner's manual is 148 pages long! Only anomaly is that the I Drive screen doesn't show the signal strength bars. No biggie.

BTW really, really sweet phone!

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM

No Dropcalls

I am in NJ northern area, so you are telling me you have no drop call issues on call waiting when you do not pick up the second call, or if you do you do not lose the first call? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-X
I guess I've been lucky. My 2 RAZRs from Cingular pair just fine.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:28 PM

Its Official

The only compatible phone that works with the BMW 5,6,7 series and does not DROP CALLS is the Motorola 550 which is discontinued, it will not allow call waiting ,no phone can anywhere anytime deal with BT call waiting without dropping, This phone will just not drop the call.

Quote:
I am in NJ northern area, so you are telling me you have no drop call issues on call waiting when you do not pick up the second call, or if you do you do not lose the first call? thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 911 PDK/Sport
My Verizon / Moto RAZR V3c is working great so far - I get the tray and adapter installed next week - for now it is in the rear seat cup-holder

2009 911 PDK / Sport Chrono
Black / Sand

Nav/XM/Bose/Vent Seats/...
Purchased: May 30, 2009

2007 550i Sport SMG
Jet Black / Black Nasca Leather / Anthracite Maple Trim / Anthracite Head Liner

All Options
Ordered: April 10 2006
Leased: June 10 2006
Returned: May 30, 2009