Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M Sport
Bluetooth V limited

Phone model: Palm Treo Pro unlocked GSM model
Car model: 2009 535ixdrive
[X] ability to make/receive calls -yes with some limitations
[X] phone book automatically syncs to car (all 800+ contacts)
[no way] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[X] calling name display (only if in adddress book, will not display numbers not in address book, have to pick up the handset to identify number)
[?] ability to send/receive SMS - never tried
According to BMW my phone is compatible but the bluetooth capability is very limited as follows:
1. Cannot transfer ongoing call from phone to car's audio system after bluetooth connection is established. Flawless with 2006 audi
2.If call is initiated from phone handset-details are not displayed on idrive display. In my audi this was possible. The reason this is convenient is that if the details were displayed the numbers could be added to the redial list, top 8 etc.
3.No call waiting- Very inconvenient, I can't switch over even if I atttempt to do so with the handset. Some of these calls are international, I just can't call them back after I hang up the ongoing call. Call waiting was flawlessly implemented in my previous 2006 audi a4
4.Cannot transfer call from car's audio to phone after key pulled from ignition. You either hang up or fiddle with switching the bluetooth off. Again this is possible in both my previous audi and Wife's Nissan Quest minivan.
5. Can't set up the voice phonebook. Idrive obeys my other commands but just won't respond to "save name" as instructed in the manual

Funnily enough my phone was not officially supported by Audi, it could not transfer the phonebook but the other bluetooth capabilities outweighed this. Given that the BMW costs nearly $ 20k more, it's disappointing that BMW's bluetooth is so limited. On their site most of the limitations I've listed also apply to the other compatible phones.

Last edited by doctj; 04-02-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
Talking Iphone works fine.

I have an iPhone and it works fine, I can get the phone book on the screen and work from there.

Car model: 2006 550i
[x] ability to make/receive calls
[x] phone book automatically synches to car
[No] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[x] calling name display (using adddress book)
[No] ability to send/receive SMS

Have tried to send/receive SMS but no function that I can find on the iDrive to so this.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Phone model: Motorola Q9C
Car model: 2009 535i
[x] phone book automatically synches to car (See note)
[x] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS

Syncing this phone to the car is not w/o it's problems. I've tried numerous times and finally had success. I think it has a lot to do w/ the information I have in my Contacts. The phone will connect quickly but when it comes to downloading the phone book it seems to disconnect a lot of the time. Now that I have the phone book downloaded, I think it will be more reliable.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
JIMMER 535i

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Samsung renown bluetooth

Has anyone used the Samsung Renown with an 09 535 equiped with nav system.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
Verizon Casio Boulder

Has anyone gotten the Verizon Boulder to work? Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Sylhety

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
iPhone works great
Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: bmw530i E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
Find a Compatible Handset - Not all Bluetooth phones will work!
Unfortunately, not all Bluetooth compatible phones will work (partially or fully) with BMW's Bluetooth systems. As such, “Bluetooth” is an ambiguous term and insufficient to ensure compatibility. That is unfortunate, since "Bluetooth" is all that is typically included in the phone's description.

My experience is a good example: my do-everything SonyEricsson P900 does not work with my Bluetooth-capable car (the SonyEricsson P900 lacks a "handsfree profile" required to work with the BMW implementation of integration of cell phone and car). Successful 6 Series Bluetoth retrofit, but phone incompatible

Even if you have a "BT-compatible" phone with the BT "handsfree profile," there are other features that may or may not work properly. For example, the phone should automatically share its phone book with the car to enable a set of nice features: based on your phone's address book: Calling Name display and

BMW Customer Assistance has a short list of compatible phones (SE T68i, SE T610, SE T630, Motorola V600). A more extensive compatibility list is here:
More extensive list of BMW-compatible phones

What phones work for you?
Please share what works for you so that we can all share in your experience and knowledge.

Please post your experience:
----------------------------------------------
Phone model:
Car model:
[ ] ability to make/receive calls
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book)

----------------------------------------------
I have a 2005 530i.My new HTC Diamond works well so as for Nokia E73. My Sony P990i unable to synch but my friend's(BMW Mechanic) P990i works fine.So PDA works with the car. The BMW bluetooth is pretty unstable especially with a heavily loaded big memory PDAs. The car processor is slow and memory is VERY,VERY limited. My P990i memory is almost to the brim but not my friends. The car also cannot handle the synching of more than one phone unless it is an absolute basic phones with little utilisation of its internal memory, ie, just a few contacts. To use different phone, you need to first of all REMOVE other existing phones in its system otherwise the car bluetooth system HANGS and you may need to reprogram the system. It is all trial and error guys.Even BMW senior mechanics are still learning and discovering about the bluetooth. Haven't tried SMS though. Hope this info put some light about the system. It's a waste if the benefit of the sytem cannot be use as the clarity is astounding. I was not able to benefit from it untill just about 4 months ago as my PDA was heavily "MEMORISED".
SAFE DRIVING GUYS and live to enjoy the car.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 525I BMW
Smile Cell Phone

I have the sprint Instinct phone and it works perfectly.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: 95 320D Touring
I have a Nokia E-71. It pairs but only some of the contacts are available...and my phonebook is not that big.
I also have problems when pairing my wifes N80...it pairs but doesn't connects...
I have a 05 320D with iDrive.
Can anyone helps?

Thanks,
Paulo
Old 05-18-2009, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: Camero GT
I just purchased the 535xi (i Xdrive), and I'm trying to turn up the mic's sensitivity. People on the other end can barely hear me, and I'm talking very loudly my wife says. Is there a way to turn up the interior mic's sensitivity? I can hear the caller just fine inside the cabin. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
I use the Blackberry 8900 and never had a problem pairing it with the car's bluetooth until 2 days ago. It used to be that everytime I turn the ignition on, the phone senses the 530i's bluetooth right away and prompts me if i wanted to connect. You click yes and that was it. It worked flawlessly. The past couple of days, it stopped doing that. I can manually search from the phone and connect manually but it says "connection failed." The only way to do it is to delete the phone from the car's bluetooth setting, and then try to search/connect from the phone until i'm prompted to provide passkey then the car prompts me to put in the passkey to be able to pair them. Then I know it's paired because of the blinking blue light on the phone. But it seems that everytime you get in the car again (after turning the engine off), it doesn't pair automatically. It's annoying to have to pair it everytime I get in the car. I dont' know if it's even related but about the same time this happened, the airbag indicator stays lit in the dash which indicates airbag malfunction. Took the car in for service (for the airbag) and was told that a computer glitch sometimes does that (bluetooth problem) and that my phone could have been one of those that are not "compatible" with BMW. Then why did it work before? By the way they told me that they will have to replace the driver's airbag and would have to reprogram the computer after that. I hope it fixes the bluetooth problem too.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 528xi
BMW 2009 528xi - Bluetooth and Blackberry Pearl - Yes it Works

Phone model: Blackberry 8100 Pearl
Car model: 2009 528xi

I just my latest BMW, a 2009 528xi. My first comment is the GREAT thanks to all who have contributed to this particular thread. Is was of great use to me in getting my BB Pearl to sync with the car. But at this point, i have full use of my BB including 1,300 contacts with several phone numbers for each one (estimate ~4,000 phone numbers). Here are some of the steps that i went through to get this to work. Not sure which one(s) got it all to work, but it really does work well. I am linked to Outlook at the office via Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES).

1. I updated the BB software to version 4.5.x. To determine where problems were, i added a new phone book to Outlook and put a few numbers in at a time until i was able to confirm the sync was working. In the BB desktop software, you can select which phone book(s) to sync with the BB. During this testing phase, i might only have 10 contacts in BB, but if they transferred to the BMW, then i knew i had cleanen them up. Once i understood the patern (see below), i was able to sync all numbers very quicky and go back to just one contact list with all of my contacts. This update from RIM also included some new things, so it was worth it. You could also use the BB based feature to only transfer numbers from people within a certain category. Although this works, to put 1,300 contacts into a category would take editing all the contacts. Not a great process when you have 1,300+.
2. I edited all phone numbers to remove extensions from the phone numbers setup. For example, i had several that had a number of 513-xxx-xxxx x 123 and the x 123 was a problem. To make this simple to track down, i sorted the phone list by phone number and then scanned up and down through the phone lists to find any exceptions (use the view by phone list).
3. I cleaned up phone numbers that had format problems from where they were entered directly into the blackberry. If (in the BB) i entered someone's phone number as 5135551212, then it would stay like this in Outlook and i think this was a problem. I went to outlook, corrected all of them to the outlook standard format (513) xxx-xxxx. Most of the time this was as easy as putting the cursor on the number, making one change and then hitting tab. Outlook would then reformat the number to its standard format. I have seen this problem documented else where to make sure that the format and special characters are correct (ie NO special characters). Between item 2 and 3, this was the biggest thing for me. Not sure if there were other combinations that would have worked, but doing both was the fix i needed.
4. This probably was nothing, but i also turned off all journaling for contacts (speeds up outlook anyway) since i don't want to think that recording contact with a contact was casuing an issue and i did not use the feature anyway.
5. Don't use the BB feature to send the address book to the BMW. It will error out everytime. When you connect to the bluetooth, BMW and BB will automatically sync the address book.
6. I found that if it did error out, that you should delete the BB phone from the BMW bluetooth list and delete the BMW listing from the BB bluetooth list as well. If i did not delete it every time, then when i fixed the errors, it never seemed to sync right the next time. Once fixed and the entire phone list sync's, then you don't have to do this over and over (the BB and BMW will sync and update BMW each time).
7. Device properties should be set as: Trusted - yes; encryption - enabled; echo control - auto.
8. Device options should be set as: discoverable - yes, allow outgoing always - yes; transfer phone book - all (see above during testing to use a category if you want to use this option); security level - high (not even sure what this is); connection on power up - yes
9. If you have problems with your BT dropping and reconnecting, it was the phone book that was causing the issue for me. If you turn step 8 - transfer phone book to off, this problem should stop until you get your phone book fixed. A quick fix if you run into a bind and need to use the BT phone without it dropping calls.
10. I was told as well that email addresses create problems and i have email addresses for almost all contacts and it is NOT a problem. It was always the phone numbers for me.
11. I never had the problem that others mentioned that part would transfer and part would not. If it did not work, then none were available to me to use and the bluetooth connection was very unstable.
12. For 1,300+ contacts, it took 2-3 minutes to transfer. While it was transfering, the BMW display would indicate a phone book was transfering. The BB showed nothing and appeared to be working as normal. If you see nothing on the BMW screen after a minute, then it is not transferring the phone book or it is done already. It does not transfer instantly, and when it is done, the A-Z menu selection become active so you know there are names in your phone book.
13. The dial by name without training is not something i can do at this point. I can program names in the system (with training), but this would be in addition to my BB phone book. Work great, but i cannot call someone from my BB phone book by just saying their name. I don't have navigation, so maybe this is something on that system.
14. The SMS that is on the standard checklist above is not anything i have even heard of being offered so i don't know how someone can do this. Could be a NAV piece or could be just folk lore. I would think that getting text messages while driving (and BMW being part of displaying it for you) would be a very bad thing for all parties.

I hope this helps at least one person with their BB setup. If someone does not understand the above, please feel free to contact me and i can send a couple of screen shots via private email.

John.

PS - New 528xi and i love it!!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci & 04' X3
ADDENDUM and advisory for LG Rumor and ULF/TCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by md80boy View Post
Phone model: Sprint LG Rumor
Car model: 2004 X3
[NO] phone book automatically synches to car
[y] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[NO] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ NO] ability to send/receive SMS

Note: the unit is an ULF and it is a second or third Gen unit made in '04. A little scratchy but still pretty darn good.
Displays the caller ID of the incoming call.
Dont have the instructions so I dont know how to train to do voice calls or check if the phonebook synchs.

I think that the newer 3G phones might work with older ULFs and TCUs.
So, with the LG Rumor the above applied using the -552 first Gen ULF. Sound quality was really poor.
I changed to a first Gen TCU and the sound was good, but it would not function normally. The phone would lock up, the radio would lock up, the radio would mute when a call was placed or received but would not turn back on when finished. It also would only place or receive one call per driving cycle, then the phone and radio would freeze. You had to turn off the phone to get the radio back. The steering wheel controls would never work under any circumstances. But this only happened with that brand, we tested both the ULF and TCU with Samsung and it was fine, including phone quality. So we were able to swap from LG Rumor to Samsung RANT.
Now:
Car model: 2004 X3
[Y] phone book automatically synches to car
[y] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[Y] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ NO] ability to send/receive SMS
Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
Samsung Alias 2

Hi..has anyone gotten the Alias 2 from Verizon to work?...thanks
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: Car
Sorry for the late response on this...

2007 X3

Phone model: Motorola L6

Phone model: Blackberry 8820

2009 528i

I have the Premium and Navigation packages and both phones work. The Mrs. and I are each able to scroll through our respective phones' phone books using the iDrive.

Phone model: Motorola L6

Phone model: Blackberry 8820 (SW version 4.5.0.139).

Last edited by XJSChris; 05-29-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i X-Drive 6mt
Palm pre

Anyone try the new Palm Pre to see if it works with the car???
Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: gfgfhgh
For iPod users, sometimes they want to backup the music, video or pictures on iPod to computer and to another iPod. This makes iPod users headache for iTunes doesn't providing this feature at all. Tipard Studio releases a program that can backup their files on iPod to PC or transfer files to another iPod. Using Tipard iPod Transfer Pro you would never worry about losing problem of the files. This iPod Transfer Pro help you copy songs and video from iPod to PC without losing anything. Tipard iPod Transfer pro supports all the versions of iPod devices. So you can easily transfer music and video from iPod, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod shuffle, iPod Touch, iPhone to PC. You could easily share your iPod music with your friends.

Key Features:

***65121;Backup files from iPod to computer
***65121;Import files from computer to iPod
***65121;Transfer files from iPod to iPod/iPhone
Old 06-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Into the dark ages

Mein Auto: Mystery MACHINE
Car model: 2007 525i with navi
Phone model: BlackBerry Curve 8330 - firmware version 4.3
[?] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[?] ability to send/receive SMS

My adressbook has over 1400 entries. It took them all in after a few minutes. So that should clear up the question on size of address book supported. I did select transfer addressbook on the BB. I'm not sure if it would have transferred if I didn't push it out. I'm not about to mess with it now that it is working.

Last edited by ChrisTO; 06-09-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Talking Lg 8700

Just picked up a new 09 x5 (performance delivery, which I highly reccomend) and was disappointed that my LG8700 from Verizon would not function with the blue tooth. I took the phone to Verizon and they undated my software (free) from version 1 to version 3, and the phone is now full compatible with the car. Before buying a new phone, see if a simple software update to the phone fixes the problem. It's fee, so nothing to lose.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
My 2008 535i does not always pair up with my BB 8830.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchorizo View Post
I use the Blackberry 8900 and never had a problem pairing it with the car's bluetooth until 2 days ago. It used to be that everytime I turn the ignition on, the phone senses the 530i's bluetooth right away and prompts me if i wanted to connect. You click yes and that was it. It worked flawlessly. The past couple of days, it stopped doing that. I can manually search from the phone and connect manually but it says "connection failed." The only way to do it is to delete the phone from the car's bluetooth setting, and then try to search/connect from the phone until i'm prompted to provide passkey then the car prompts me to put in the passkey to be able to pair them. Then I know it's paired because of the blinking blue light on the phone. But it seems that everytime you get in the car again (after turning the engine off), it doesn't pair automatically. It's annoying to have to pair it everytime I get in the car. I dont' know if it's even related but about the same time this happened, the airbag indicator stays lit in the dash which indicates airbag malfunction. Took the car in for service (for the airbag) and was told that a computer glitch sometimes does that (bluetooth problem) and that my phone could have been one of those that are not "compatible" with BMW. Then why did it work before? By the way they told me that they will have to replace the driver's airbag and would have to reprogram the computer after that. I hope it fixes the bluetooth problem too.

I have the exact same issue start at about the same time as you. A couple weeks ago my phone which I've had 2 years now always paired perfectly with my 535i. Then all of a sudden it would not pair in the afternoons. It would always pair in the morning but later in the day it would not complete the pairing process. When I go to the BlueTooth menu on the car the phone is listed but when I click on "move up/delete" neither of them is highlighted. On my phone sometimes it would say I am connected and sometimes not but the car just shows the T1 and then a blank area. If I try to connect from the phone manually it would say "connection to BMW 78... failed." Its annoying because all the bmw dealers would say that its because my phone is not on the approved list. But it worked perfectly for a year and a half. I think its my car is not fully diconnecting with the phone when I leave it and then tries to re-connect and gets frozen or something. I had my car completly re-programmed last week and the problem is exactly the same. I replaced my phone with verizon got a new 8830 and it paired up perfectly then it started doing the same thing again.
I think that the BlueTooth module is bad or something. I am at my wits end.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 S4
Had similar problems getting a phone to work with my Bluetooth. Problem solved when I focused on getting a phone with the correct software pre-installed vs just focusing on the make/model of phone. If you just purchase the BMW recommended make and model phone, it could have updated software in it that could cause a problem. When I specified the make and model of phone and the BMW recommended software for that phone I had no problems. Again, from my experience, you need to specifiy both the make/model of phone and the pre-installed software for that phone. BMW website shows the software number along with each phone that they recommend. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd553 View Post
I have the exact same issue start at about the same time as you. A couple weeks ago my phone which I've had 2 years now always paired perfectly with my 535i. Then all of a sudden it would not pair in the afternoons. It would always pair in the morning but later in the day it would not complete the pairing process. When I go to the BlueTooth menu on the car the phone is listed but when I click on "move up/delete" neither of them is highlighted. On my phone sometimes it would say I am connected and sometimes not but the car just shows the T1 and then a blank area. If I try to connect from the phone manually it would say "connection to BMW 78... failed." Its annoying because all the bmw dealers would say that its because my phone is not on the approved list. But it worked perfectly for a year and a half. I think its my car is not fully diconnecting with the phone when I leave it and then tries to re-connect and gets frozen or something. I had my car completly re-programmed last week and the problem is exactly the same. I replaced my phone with verizon got a new 8830 and it paired up perfectly then it started doing the same thing again.
I think that the BlueTooth module is bad or something. I am at my wits end.
I've had this problem on and off with my 1st gen iphone. About 1 year ago had the car in 3 times to the dealer. They admitted there was a problem, but said they replaced TCU. Issue continued and then just stopped as mysteriously as it started. Nearly one year later, it started again. BT kept dropping and sometimes restarting. Well, my original iphone was dropped and is now dead. Got new 3Gs iphone and it sync'd beautifully at first, allowed me to make one call and now either connects and drops or refuses t connect. Same issue as you. Will take it to another dealer to see what they think. let me know if you find something out. I have a 2008 528xi.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: '05 bmw 530iAT
clamshell phones

Hello all,
I bought a second hand sony ericsson K850i just to be able to use the bluetooth feature in my 2005 530iA. It works perfectly regarding the things I need.

[x]make/recieve calls
[x]automatic sync of phonebook

The rest I still did not test but I am not that interested (except maybe the SMS capability). I am quite happy with the phone especially because the conversations via the bluetooth carkit are very clear. Clearer then I have ever experienced in any of my former cars.
My wife however does not like the phone because she is used to the Samsung SGH-E760. This is an old clamshell type phone which does pair with the car but no phonebook and no make/recieve calls so virtually not compatible.
So now i am looking for an alternative clamshell type phone which is compatible with BMW bluetooth with updated software (V31). Anybody tried one of the following phones?

SE T707
SE W508
SE W980
Nokia 6600

Thank you for your reply
Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 520D Sport
Hi,
When I picked up my 520D I found the same problem most people were having with a Nokia N95 and the car kit. I swapped the phone for a C905 and all problems disappeared. I think the only way to get Nokia's to work is to dump them so Nokia finally acknowledges that it's not the car kit at fault rather their implementation of Bluetooth.

Phone model: Sony Ericsson C905
Car model: 2009 520D (Pro iDrive)
[X] ability to make/receive calls
[X] phone book automatically synches to car
[X] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[X] calling name display (using adddress book)

regards,

Tim

Last edited by TimBass1314; 07-21-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
I have a BlackBerry Storm which worked well before with the blue tooth in my 525. Just got a new Storm and now I can't remember how I connected to the blue tooth....it's asking for the passkey....and the dealer originally told me what it was but now wants me to bring it in so they can "find" the passkey...and I'm sure that will cost me plenty....

Anyone have any ideas on the passkey? I've tried 1111, 1234, 0000....but with no luck.

Thanks...

Tim