Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
*FOR THOSE HAVING TROUBLE SYNCING CONTACTS!*

I think there is a solution to try here: Check to see if any of your contacts have a first name only. I went through my contacts diligently (over 500, as it is Active Sync to MS Exchange) and my phone (HTC Glacier - MyTouch4g) would NOT Sync contacts UNTIL I removed or fixed EVERY contact that had only a first name and no last name. Now everything is fine!
That's an clever idea. I never thought about that. I just have all of my names in the last name field and nothing in the first name field so I never had that problem but just to test out your theory I'm going to try a first name only field and see if it registers.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
I have the LG-DARE and everything work's great....my wife has the Verizon Apple I-PHONE and it work's without any problem's aswell....the only thing I don't care for about this system, if we are in the car at the same time, only one phone will work, you have to change which phone is on top, it's kina stupid as they could have used a simple code and solved this problem....But thats the only down side I've found.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i
Well... my contacts stopped syncing again for no apparent reason. It (HTC MyTouch4g from T-Mobile) every time, but my previous fix for no last names doesn't seem to be holding water. There's got to be something weird about the contact file - just need to find it!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 PM
White Trash with credit

Mein Auto: 2007 550i sport black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
Find a Compatible Handset - Not all Bluetooth phones will work!
Unfortunately, not all Bluetooth compatible phones will work (partially or fully) with BMW's Bluetooth systems. As such, “Bluetooth” is an ambiguous term and insufficient to ensure compatibility. That is unfortunate, since "Bluetooth" is all that is typically included in the phone's description.

My experience is a good example: my do-everything SonyEricsson P900 does not work with my Bluetooth-capable car (the SonyEricsson P900 lacks a "handsfree profile" required to work with the BMW implementation of integration of cell phone and car). Successful 6 Series Bluetoth retrofit, but phone incompatible

Even if you have a "BT-compatible" phone with the BT "handsfree profile," there are other features that may or may not work properly. For example, the phone should automatically share its phone book with the car to enable a set of nice features: based on your phone's address book: Calling Name display and

BMW Customer Assistance has a short list of compatible phones (SE T68i, SE T610, SE T630, Motorola V600). A more extensive compatibility list is here:
More extensive list of BMW-compatible phones

What phones work for you?
Please share what works for you so that we can all share in your experience and knowledge
Please post your experience:
----------------------------------------------
Phone model:
Car model:
[x ] ability to make/receive calls
[x ] phone book automatically synches to car
[x ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[ x] calling name display (using adddress book)
[x ] ability to send/receive SMS

My Blackberry Bold and my wifes Samsung Intensity II work great so far.Ken
Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
Cool Paired phone

I have an AT&T Blackberry 8520 and mine works well with my car a 2008 bmw 528i. The only thing i would say to watch out for is this; my car would come out of sleep mode when my phone was near causing my battery to go dead. I ended up disconnecting my bluetooth when car is at home and everything is now ok. My daughter has the same phone, so you could imagine the poor car could never stay in sleep mode!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i(E60), 325i(E36)
AT&T Motorola Atrix 4G

Motorola Atrix is a no go.
Co-worker had one, so I figured , I'd give it shot.
On pairing, code was not accepted. Tried phone initiated and car intiated with out any luck.

Phone model: Motorola Atrix
Car model: 01/05 - 545i
[ ] ability to make/receive calls
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS

I read on Motorola's forum that folks with various later model year bmw's and other successfully paired but had other problems.

If anyone had success, please post. Otherwise, I'll wait for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayyub212 View Post
I have an AT&T Blackberry 8520 and mine works well with my car a 2008 bmw 528i. The only thing i would say to watch out for is this; my car would come out of sleep mode when my phone was near causing my battery to go dead. I ended up disconnecting my bluetooth when car is at home and everything is now ok. My daughter has the same phone, so you could imagine the poor car could never stay in sleep mode!
That's kinda odd. Never seen that - will have to test!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Phone model: htc EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Car model: 2008 535i

[x] ability to make/receive calls
[x] phone book automatically synches to car
[x] calling name display (using adddress book)
[?] ability to send/receive SMS
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 AM
L5 Commander

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi
Phone model: HTC Evo 3D
Car model:
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book)
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E60 5 Series
Blue Tooth

My droid Work Great!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW530I
Question Bluetooth problem 530I 2006

My Motorola Android X phone worked great for 4 months and then started to get intermittant
static during dialing and phone calls. My husband has the same model phone and has the
same problems.

The BMW dealer just shrugged and couldn't give us any help. We wrote to BMW USA and never got an answer.

Has anyone had similar problems and if so, found a solution.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM
White Trash with credit

Mein Auto: 2007 550i sport black
Renig on compatiable phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by det42phx View Post
My Blackberry Bold and my wifes Samsung Intensity II work great so far.Ken
Well I thought everthing was fine, my blackberry bold connected flawlessly, same for my wifes samsung intensity. Then my wife started to complain about voice command calling wrong numbers, then I noticed not all of her phone book loaded, just some of it??? Now my blackberry if it does connect, screen says I have a active call going, will not end call. However I can make calls with it just no phonebook. I do have the cpo wrrnty/maint package but of course it does not cover the Idrive system. So looks like its on me. Anybody have same issues, diagnosis ? Please do tell. Thanks Ken
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: Black 545i
I am on my second HTC EVO 4G. The first one worked without any problems. All the contacts transferred over to my 2005 545 without a hitch. Was able to make voice command calls and caller id displayed callers name on i-drive screen. Had to have phone replaced because it would no longer take a charge and was given a second HTC EVO 4G that will pair but no longer transfers my contacts. That along with voice command calling and caller id are no longer usable. Sprint lady told me she has heard a few complaints like mine and that the new Android operating system is causing all sorts of bluetooth software issues. I didn't believe her so I tried to sync my friends EVO that they just purchased about a two months ago and same problem persists. It's really not safe when I need to make a call and I have to reach around to find my phone and then have to look at it to find the name of the person I want to call. Convenience is gone now.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkant72 View Post
I am on my second HTC EVO 4G. The first one worked without any problems. All the contacts transferred over to my 2005 545 without a hitch. Was able to make voice command calls and caller id displayed callers name on i-drive screen. Had to have phone replaced because it would no longer take a charge and was given a second HTC EVO 4G that will pair but no longer transfers my contacts. That along with voice command calling and caller id are no longer usable. Sprint lady told me she has heard a few complaints like mine and that the new Android operating system is causing all sorts of bluetooth software issues. I didn't believe her so I tried to sync my friends EVO that they just purchased about a two months ago and same problem persists. It's really not safe when I need to make a call and I have to reach around to find my phone and then have to look at it to find the name of the person I want to call. Convenience is gone now.

The issue is that your phone has the upgraded Android OS. Im sure you are using Gingerbread 2.3.. Your old phone had Froyo 2.2..

There is no solution for this at the moment. When the developers find a root for the Evo 4G then you should be able to flash back to Froyo and be good to go.. But for now we are all stuck...

This one issue is enough to have me switch over to an iPhone.. Android needs to do something about this..
Old 08-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: Black 545i
Thanks for the reply Holla. I've been playing with the idea of changing to a non Android phone or an iPhone. But I really love my EVO. I'm going to stick it out as long as I can to give Android the benefit of the doubt but if nothing comes out if this soon, it will be adiós EVO and hello Apple.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkant72 View Post
Thanks for the reply Holla. I've been playing with the idea of changing to a non Android phone or an iPhone. But I really love my EVO. I'm going to stick it out as long as I can to give Android the benefit of the doubt but if nothing comes out if this soon, it will be adiós EVO and hello Apple.

No sweat.. And yeah man.. I'm with you.. I love my Evo.. Outside of the iPhone no other phone really compares.. It's such an inconvenience...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: Accord EXL
Will Android HTC Incredible be compatible with Bluetooth in a 2010 528xi? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 535i X drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy102 View Post
I just got the new HTC Freestyle (a new semi-smartphone that does not require a data plan from AT&T). I've got 2007 525i and unfortunately bluetooth works only partially. I am able to receive/make phone calls, but phone book does not synch with the car.
Same here in my 535i 2009
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
No sweat.. And yeah man.. I'm with you.. I love my Evo.. Outside of the iPhone no other phone really compares.. It's such an inconvenience...
Go with the iPhone. Works perfectly!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bigpapi13
Mein Auto: 545i 04
my blackberry 9800 works great
Old 09-05-2011, 02:52 AM

Mein Auto: E46 323i, E60 545i
Phone model: Motorola Defy
Car model: 2004 BMW 545i
[x] phone book automatically synches to car
[x] calling name display (using adddress book)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i(E60), 325i(E36)
AT&T Motorola Atrix 4G

I previously posted Motorola Atrix as a no go. This was with Froyo.
Co-worker updated to Gingerbread 4.3.2 via update (phone is not rooted) and it now works fine.
Pairing initiated by phone.

I bought mine and it works just as well. My calls are generally only a few minutes. No dropouts yet.

Phone model: Motorola Atrix 4.3.2 Gingerbread
Car model: 01/05 - 545i
[Y] ability to make/receive calls
[Y] phone book automatically synches to car
[Y] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[Y] calling name display (using adddress book)
[?] ability to send/receive SMS
Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325 it 2004 325 is
iphone and 2008 528i

My iPhone 4 will Bluetooth sync with the car but quite often when I get into the car, the iPhone will not sync. I don't know if the problem is with BMW or Apple. I then have to go through the whole sync cycle, a couple of minutes to turn off Bluetooth on the iPhone and then to delete the iPhone from the BMW settings list. Then turning back on the Bluetooth on the iPhone and pairing is taking a while but works. But one or the other looses the sync most times. Like three times today. So I don't know who to blame for the problem. Anyone with an idea?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsimkins View Post
My iPhone 4 will Bluetooth sync with the car but quite often when I get into the car, the iPhone will not sync. I don't know if the problem is with BMW or Apple. I then have to go through the whole sync cycle, a couple of minutes to turn off Bluetooth on the iPhone and then to delete the iPhone from the BMW settings list. Then turning back on the Bluetooth on the iPhone and pairing is taking a while but works. But one or the other looses the sync most times. Like three times today. So I don't know who to blame for the problem. Anyone with an idea?
My wife's iPhone 3GS has the same issue. My iPhone 4 pairs fine, so I believe the BT car module is fine. I am not sure what the issue is.

Your OS on the phone is up to date? Any other phones link to rule out the car?

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
same thing with my iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsimkins View Post
My iPhone 4 pairs fine after a fresh reboot of the phone - but next time I get in the car it may not. The quick fix is to power off the iPhone and power it back on - the BT in my 09 535 always connects after a fresh re-boot. This was a once a week problem - meaning that it would continue to pair when getting back in the car for a week or more, but is getting to be a once a day probelm now. So something somewhere on the phone is causing a conflict. given the popularity of the iPhone4 - I goota believe someone here has found the root cause.
Thanks in advance!