Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto:
Has anyone installed the BMS Stage One chip in their X1?

Has anyone installed the BMS Stage One chip in their X1?

I'm thinking about purchasing one. I have only read about the power gains and the experience in their 3 series but have yet to read about it in an x1. It looks like it would be an awesome addition to our rides, however I'm very hesitant.

Any thoughts?

2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i "Black Betty"
2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman "Penelope"
2011 BMW 328i "Heidi" (past)
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 PM
BSchulte

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive
I have had it in for several months and really like it. You are probably looking for the JB4, here is a link.

http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html

The first time I installed one it was a bit confusing, but with tech support I got through it. The install instructions and videos are very complete, I was just nervous about tinkering with my new car. I was running 89 ron fuel for 20,000 miles and observed 27.6mpg over all. When I put on the JB4 I also started using 91 RON for the next 15,000 miles and observed 29mpg. I drove significantly harder ... so I believe the tune improved my fuel efficiency. The JB4 is probably the biggest bang for the dollar on the N20 engine. And it is practically invisible to the dealer!! You can turn it off.

I have recently added Evolution Racewerks: FMIC, DP and CP as well as Burgers trunk mount meth kit. From what I've read the stock air box is very efficient and there are no significant gains on the N20 by adding a K&N type filter. I personally want a quieter car, so I did not do the intake or exhaust and even put on an after market hood insulation.

If you are going to do it in stages, I recommend: 1. JB4 2. ER Downpipe 3. ER front mount intercooler 4. ER charge pipe with Burger Trunk mount Methanol injection. I have not done it yet, but I think you can start mixing in 30% ethanol after you add the JB4. Oh and then you'll want wider rear tires to put all of that power to the ground.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 35
Yes...have had my JB4 installed in my N55 for about 10,000 miles, with no issues at all. Love the JB4! Biggest bang for the buck mod you can make....With it, for the n55, you can add about 20% E85. With flex fuel wires, that jumps to about 40%+.

Last edited by randy7fx; 07-22-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the info guys. It's nice to hear real world results with this.

I never plan to run anything but 93 octane and no mods to run ethanol. I just want to have a little more pep when I hit the pedal without having to worry about regretting not going with a 35i.

I heard that the JB4 is still in Beta, so I was skeptical and leaning toward the Stage One but after hearing real world results, I think it may be worth the extra $200.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschulte View Post
I have had it in for several months and really like it. You are probably looking for the JB4, here is a link.

http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html

The first time I installed one it was a bit confusing, but with tech support I got through it. The install instructions and videos are very complete, I was just nervous about tinkering with my new car. I was running 89 ron fuel for 20,000 miles and observed 27.6mpg over all. When I put on the JB4 I also started using 91 RON for the next 15,000 miles and observed 29mpg. I drove significantly harder ... so I believe the tune improved my fuel efficiency. The JB4 is probably the biggest bang for the dollar on the N20 engine. And it is practically invisible to the dealer!! You can turn it off.

I have recently added Evolution Racewerks: FMIC, DP and CP as well as Burgers trunk mount meth kit. From what I've read the stock air box is very efficient and there are no significant gains on the N20 by adding a K&N type filter. I personally want a quieter car, so I did not do the intake or exhaust and even put on an after market hood insulation.

If you are going to do it in stages, I recommend: 1. JB4 2. ER Downpipe 3. ER front mount intercooler 4. ER charge pipe with Burger Trunk mount Methanol injection. I have not done it yet, but I think you can start mixing in 30% ethanol after you add the JB4. Oh and then you'll want wider rear tires to put all of that power to the ground.

What hp gains are you receiving with the JB4? Have you put it on a Dyno?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 AM
BSchulte

European car magazine article

I think this article from October 2012 European Car magazine will give your more details. Looks like 25rwh. I don't now know how much is lost in the X's drive train as my car and this 328 are both rwd. The JB4 is bullet proof ... the car should have come from Leipzig like this.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Agreed. It's a wonder how they leave so much potential in the BMW engines and it's amazing that a fairly inexpensive tune can boost the N20 so easily. Every one should come off the line like that. Can't wait to order this thing!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 PM
BSchulte

USB cable and EWG harness

I just noticed you have the S Drive too. i would recommend getting Burger's USB tune combo. You should put the usb cable on and either run it through the firewall, ( I could not figure out how to do that on my 2013 X1), or leave it under the hood but out of the DME box. You'll need that for the periodic updates as well as data logging. You can read on www.n54tech.com how to do data logging.