Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xdrive 28i
Speedometer reading issues

Hey, I've had my x1 and went on a super long trip. I noticed my gps and my speedometer were reading different speeds. My car was 4-6mph more then my gps reading. I ended up having a friend drive he same speed as I and she was going slower then what my reading was then I came across one of the police speed signs and it read the same as my gps not my speedometer,
What should do? Call the dealer? Anyone else's notice this?
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
All car speedometer are set intentionally fast. However it appears according to several threads (search them out) that European Cars especially are set even higher than the norm here in the states. There are several coding options including allowing the Analog Speedometer to show true speed, or to show a true speed via a digital display in the center display. Apparently the Europeans are much more conservative with their speedometers due to laws on their books regarding this issue.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
This has been common on BMW for years and years and years and years. Only way to solve it is to get the car coded, and not by BMW.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post
All car speedometer are set intentionally fast.
That's simply not true. The speedometers on our Audi and Acura are both spot on, and my Touareg reads 2 mph low. However, all BMW speedos are intentionally set to read high. My X1 speedo was off by 4 mph at 75.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
At 75 it's almost 6 off, depending on wheels. Use an ultra gauge or recode the car to show digital. The computer readout is correct, no biast.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 AM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkyamber View Post
Hey, I've had my x1 and went on a super long trip. I noticed my gps and my speedometer were reading different speeds. My car was 4-6mph more then my gps reading. I ended up having a friend drive he same speed as I and she was going slower then what my reading was then I came across one of the police speed signs and it read the same as my gps not my speedometer,

What should do? Call the dealer? Anyone else's notice this?

Yes noticed that
At least odometer is accurate for those of us leasing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
This has been common on BMW for years and years and years and years. Only way to solve it is to get the car coded, and not by BMW.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app
+1

Having had 4 BMWs from 2002 till now, they ALL have the same speedometer issue - it's sort of nice not to worry about speeding tickets especially in small towns/cities that love to nab you for being 5MPH over the speed limit...

I think it's a nice feature that BMW incorporates - keeps me out of trouble.

If you think you would like to push the speed limits, just get a radar detector like the V1 to keep you out of trouble....
Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
True that BMWs have between 6-8% error over actual speed. My Miata is dead on as was my Audi Q5 AND my Golf. So not all cars have built in error.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
It is generally accepted that BMWs read 7% over the actual speed even though the odometer is accurate, which tells you that the error is deliberate. (Mike Miller in the BMW CCA magazine Roundel made the comment some time ago). They have always been optimistic. My MB and Jag were dead on and I prefer that. I would rather know what my actually speed is and not some over reading gauge trying to 'nanny' me. I need accurate data not manipulated data even if the intentions are well meaning. BMW please stop doing this. It is not necessary, we are not all idiots!!

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
+1

Having had 4 BMWs from 2002 till now, they ALL have the same speedometer issue - it's sort of nice not to worry about speeding tickets especially in small towns/cities that love to nab you for being 5MPH over the speed limit... :
In European countries, there is no buffer for photo enforcement. You can smile for the "Blitzer" in Germany if you're doing +2 km/h.