Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335i Sedan
Dampness Driver Side Foot Well

Good evening,

I have a 2010 335i with 65,000 miles that is leaking water into the carpet on the driver's side of the vehicle, when the AC is running. There is no visible water on the center console leading to the accelerator, so I am assuming it is coming from underneath the carpet. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and I have read that humidity can cause this issue, and that it is common with the E90. I took the undercarriage fairings off to see if there was a leak based on what I have read in google, but have been unable to find anything. Any advice on where to start or if this is common would be a huge help. Thanks so much for your time.
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Check the drain grates by the hood struts, under the hood. If they are clogged with debris, water will overflow into the cabin, over the FRM module and into the driver's footwell area.

Are you having any lighting, window, or power mirror issues?

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-24-2014, 07:23 AM

Good morning,
Thanks for responding. I cleaned out the drains by the strut towers and removed debris. I have t had any power issues and knock on wood I won't. Is there any additional flushing that needs to be done on those vents? I am not driving the car today as it is drying out. Any additional thoughts? Thanks again for responding
Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM

Check the windshield cowl and make sure it's flush against the glass. If it's not, it will allow water to flow down the firewall.

If the various seals under the dash are not sealing correctly, water can be coming in through there.

There is a large pass through/rubber boot under the steering column you can check.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 AM

Excellent, I will check as soon as I get home starting with the cowl. Up until yesterday, I had the Burger vent cowl filter installed, which exposed a lot of the area below the windshield. I placed the original cowl back on yesterday. Not sure if that contributed, but it was worth a shot.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: Accord
The carpet only gets wet when the A/C is running? Did you have the evaporator replaced recently?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 PM

I haven't had any AC work done since buying the car a little over a year ago. I could be wrong about the AC issue, and it may have something to do with the amount of rain we have had? i replaced the standard upper cowl with burger filters and perhaps they allowed water to enter the cabin? i also cleaned out the drain covers behind the strut towers. I ran the AC today and it seemed to be fine, there is just a lot of water that still needs to be dried up.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:15 AM

The BMS cowl filters might be letting water in.

I know on the passenger side, that filter opening sits right above the blower motor. It's very common for water to drip into the blower motor, rust the shaft and seize the impeller wheel. Water also drips down into the passenger footwell. But on the driver's side, I don't think there is an opening like that.

Another common issue with these E9x chassis is door seals and the weather proofing barrier inside the door panel. These have been known to let water in when they are not installed correctly or fail. Water pools in the footwell like you have

Old 07-25-2014, 06:59 AM

Again I appreciate the response... I replaced the filters with the factory cowl 2 days ago, but it hasn't rained. Today is the first day I have driven the car since drying it out and the problem seems to be AC related as the carpet is now wet again. Rain can no longer be a factor. I have a feeling this is going to get expensive.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM

Update.... It must be AC related as this is the only consistent since the problem started. Are there any AC drains located near the drivers side footwell that can become clogged? I imagine if it is not draining properly that can be an issue. Anyone had any experience with this?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 AM

I think there's a drain hose from the condenser that runs by the firewall.

I'm not really familiar with the AC system on these cars

Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 AM

From what I see on a lot of other threads an evaporator drain may be to blame. The car pours water out of the passenger side undercarriage when the AC is running. If there are 2 drains on either side of the car, perhaps 1 is clogged and leaking while the other is over compensating