Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330xi
Koni FSD vs Bilstein for OEM ride/comfort

Hey everyone, I just purchased a 330xi E90 with the sport package. It's got 90k+ and needs a shock/strut replacement (bouncing down the road).

I live in NYC and the roads are as bad as it gets. Therefore, I'm looking to replace the stock sport shocks/struts with comfort as my top priority.

After doing a ton of research, it seems that the best options are the Koni FSDs or the Bilstein touring class combo with the stock (sport) springs. I'm leaning towards the Koni's but the Bilsteins are much more in my price range. I wouldn't mind maintaining the original OEM feel but I'm reading that due to the valving, the Bilstein touring class is firmer than OEM. Given the road conditions, I'm not sure if that is a good idea.

I guess the question is - is the Bilstein touring class much different from the stock sport feel or is it negligible? Should I just go for the Koni FSDs?

Lastly, I'm looking to do this work myself. Should I be buying an install kit ($$) to replace all misc. hardware or would I just be ok replacing the mounts with the struts/shocks?
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I am very pleased with the Konis on my 07 335i with sport package.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 07-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by riso1988 View Post
Hey everyone, I just purchased a 330xi E90 with the sport package. It's got 90k+ and needs a shock/strut replacement (bouncing down the road).

I live in NYC and the roads are as bad as it gets. Therefore, I'm looking to replace the stock sport shocks/struts with comfort as my top priority.

After doing a ton of research, it seems that the best options are the Koni FSDs or the Bilstein touring class combo with the stock (sport) springs. I'm leaning towards the Koni's but the Bilsteins are much more in my price range. I wouldn't mind maintaining the original OEM feel but I'm reading that due to the valving, the Bilstein touring class is firmer than OEM. Given the road conditions, I'm not sure if that is a good idea.

I guess the question is - is the Bilstein touring class much different from the stock sport feel or is it negligible? Should I just go for the Koni FSDs?

Lastly, I'm looking to do this work myself. Should I be buying an install kit ($$) to replace all misc. hardware or would I just be ok replacing the mounts with the struts/shocks?

Whelp, plan on getting what you pay for.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM

I also live in NYC and I think that if the Bilsteins are former than stock they are a very bad idea as the OEMs were too stiff to begin with. The Koni FSDs work very well in NYC roads and I found that both ride and handling improved after I installed them.

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
FSDs give a softer ride than Bilsteins

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i E93
I recently had the Konis put on. Based on the recommendation of the installer, no other components were changed out. Really like the way they handle the dips, bumps and potholes vs stock sport suspension. Haven't priced the Bilsteins, but Koni is running a 25% off sale through the summer. I was able to get mine at a pretty reasonable price that way.

1996 E36 328 Cabrio / Blk/Blk/Wood / 5MT / Premium / Butt Warmers (Sold)

Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 PM

thanks everyone, really appreciate the feedback. It seems like the FSDs are the way to go. I guess the question now is whether or not I should replace everything or just the mounts...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 PM

Why BMW did not include Koni FSDs as standard equipment on the E9x is something I will never understand as the OEM dampers were garbage.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 07-25-2014, 07:18 AM

You have to be careful with FSDs and oem springs. At the VERY LEAST, you need OEM sport springs.

If you reuse your OEM xDrive springs, you will get a bouncy ride. Any aftermarket lowering spring will pair with the FSDs except extremely low springs, like H&R's Race version.

Start with the struts/shocks and their respective mounts. Then upgrade other parts as you see fit. I have the same car as you and went from coilovers (82k miles), repalced all front arms and bushings at 102k, at 105k did M3 subframe bushings and rear sway bar and adjustable camber links.

Now I have to upgrade the front bushings to something harder as I'm getting some noticeable lift oversteer from the stiffer rear setup

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 07-25-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:07 AM

Fdriller - thanks for the info. I guess I didn't realize that although I have the sport package, the springs are non sport as it's awd. I definitely don't want a bouncy ride, that's what I'm trying to eliminate. I guess I should consider other shocks to pair with oem springs or go for a new spring setup.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM

I have OEM sport springs off 330i you can have for $40.

I'll be in North NJ this weekend if you want to pick up

Old 07-25-2014, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
I have OEM sport springs off 330i you can have for $40.

I'll be in North NJ this weekend if you want to pick up
Seems like a killer deal there!