Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM
rtally3

Send a message via AIM to rtally3
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Approaching 60k Miles -- $Repairs$

I'm somewhat of a newbie so please take it easy on me -- but I have a 2007 328xi Coupe that I bought CPO in early 2011 that hasn't given me ANY issues -- until this month. She has 58k miles. First, the brakes and rotors needed to be replaced, as did a fog light that somehow got jarred loose. Now, the electronic shaft sensor and gasket have been damaged by a leaking valve cover -- those need to be replaced. I have a great mechanic -- but am still looking at ~$2k in bills for the month all of a sudden. I know the 60k mileage range can be painful, and I've been spoiled/lucky so far with a car that has been really reliable, but I'm wondering what I can expect going forward. What I've heard is that I should expect to spend anywhere from $3k-$5k around the 60k-70k mileage range, and then things should return to normal for a long time (assuming good luck and TLC). On average, I've heard that this car should cost me roughly $1k more in maintenance per year as compared to a Japanese car. Any opinions on this?

Also, what is "walnut blasting"?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtally3 View Post
I'm somewhat of a newbie so please take it easy on me -- but I have a 2007 328xi Coupe that I bought CPO in early 2011 that hasn't given me ANY issues -- until this month. She has 58k miles. First, the brakes and rotors needed to be replaced, as did a fog light that somehow got jarred loose. Now, the electronic shaft sensor and gasket have been damaged by a leaking valve cover -- those need to be replaced. I have a great mechanic -- but am still looking at ~$2k in bills for the month all of a sudden. I know the 60k mileage range can be painful, and I've been spoiled/lucky so far with a car that has been really reliable, but I'm wondering what I can expect going forward. What I've heard is that I should expect to spend anywhere from $3k-$5k around the 60k-70k mileage range, and then things should return to normal for a long time (assuming good luck and TLC). On average, I've heard that this car should cost me roughly $1k more in maintenance per year as compared to a Japanese car. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!
Why not DIY? The eccentric shaft sensor is a bit more difficult but plenty of good DIY guides on the Internet.

Brakes and rotors are cake to replace and parts can be found fairly cheaply online.

Walnut blasting is a procedure done on direct injections engines to clean carbon deposits that build on the intake valves. Since you have a 328i you do not need this, as your car is port injected.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:

Thanks!

Nut bustin's a thing you needn't worry about.

Set your Google to 328i Common Problems for the rest.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
You might as well change the plugs

You might as well change the plugs
while you have it open.
Water Pump would be your next worry.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
YES. Repairs are inevitable
Old 07-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:

Thanks!
I think its funny that guys refer to cars as females. Is that inferring their will ultimately be problems
Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 PM
rtally3

Send a message via AIM to rtally3
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Thanks all. I don't DIY because I have no experience working on cars, have very little time, live in a city condo (no much space to work on a car in the garage) and don't know anyone who can show me in person. I'd like to learn, but it just seems like a lot of trouble!

HONDO, your responses were especially insightful -- thanks pal
Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
I think its funny that guys refer to cars as females. Is that inferring their will ultimately be problems
  1. They are expensive to maintain
  2. You can expend a lot of money keeping them looking their best
  3. Often times you will not understand why they are acting unusually
  4. Sometimes nothing you do seems to make things better, but if you spend enough money the problem seems to get resolved
  5. The noises they make can be perplexing
  6. The newest ones can be enticing to consider, but that returns you to A
Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
  • Often times you will not understand why they are acting unusually
  • Sometimes nothing you do seems to make things better, but if you spend enough money the problem seems to get resolved
  • The noises they make can be perplexing
These three are pretty funny.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Quote:
  4. Sometimes nothing you do seems to make things better, but if you spend enough money the problem seems to get resolved
Politically incorrect, but

Old 07-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
Politically incorrect, but

PC?!?!?!...Since when have automobiles become sentient beings offended by non-PC truths?
All those factual statements were made about automobiles!

You seem to have jumped to some conclusion that the comments applied to some other audience.

Last edited by wilt; 07-24-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
rtally3
BMWs are not going to support a maintenance schedule that Asian cars will. German philosophy and this includes Merc and most of the others EXPECT maintenance to be performed on the cars beyond the brakes, oil changes, tires changes. It is how they have been in the past it is how they will remain in the future. I do know that 60K miles is close to the sweet spot when you start spending money on the cars because that is when most of the consumables are shot and need replacing. There is a reason why BMW uses the 4 years and 50,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage.

I don't think you will see super expensive maintenance coming your way but you will be spending money on the car when you would not on an Asian car and for that matter most American cars. But those cars don't drive or handle like a BMW so it is a cost that you incur for the way they drive.

You stated you have a good BMW mechanic and given where you live I can understand why you can't DIY since there are few places that can support that. You will be seeing some added maintenance coming soon in the form of a water pump and thermostat. You have two choices to either wait for it to strand you or arrange ahead of time to get the parts and have your mechanic replace them before failure.

Are you buying your own parts and if so will your mechanic install them for you? I ask because a great deal or mark up goes to genuine BMW parts vs the OEM which supplied them to BMW so BMW could put a BMW stamp on them. Our vendors here can save you a lot of money on parts so I encourage you to utilize them if you can...
Old 07-24-2014, 05:33 PM

BMWs will cost a pretty penny to have someone maintain it for you. This is why I bought mine with a CPO warranty and plan to do the rest myself. The main things are batteries, water pump/thermostat, and oil leaks. The rest of the car should be pretty reliable.

I don't know why others think that you can just drive others cars until they break, you cant. Expect to replace several things on any car at 65-70k miles. Timing belts, water pumps, and small leaks are things to expect even on a Honda. Cars are just very complicated these days...

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 07-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Only if you take it to a dealer...

Old 07-24-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Only if you take it to a dealer...
If you have the knowledge, the necessary equipment, and the 'free' time to do it yourself, you can indeed save $$$

Same comments apply for care of the female the species, BTW
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Quote:
PC?!?!?!...Since when have automobiles become sentient beings offended by non-PC truths?
All those factual statements were made about automobiles!

You seem to have jumped to some conclusion that the comments applied to some other audience.

Politically incorrect when referring to the "fairer sex", not the cars.

"She" can indeed fulfill all of the prior descriptors.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post

See, now, any married guy knows the affection is wholly appropriate.

And hondo, the old saw holds true: Always agree with your wife....then, you can't be wrong.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 07-24-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:

I see no political incorrectness here.

But I would add one line item:

Be good to them and they ultimately will be good to you.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post

I see no political incorrectness here.

But I would add one line item:

Be good to them and they ultimately will be good to you.

Thank you for your support, especially as a member of the softer gender! I baby both!

Last edited by wilt; 07-24-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
77,000 highway miles on mine and have have not worn the brakes out yet so just oil changes, air filters, and tires.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,