Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E70 X5 40D
X5 40D Engine Vibration Noise

Hi,

I would just like to get some feedback from owners of the previous generation X5/X6 with the twin turbo diesel engines (40D/35D).

I have a 2012 E70 X5 40D, which I purchased new in 2012, however roughly after 1 year of ownership I have started to hear this odd engine vibration noise that will only sound when the engine is warm (usually after 15-20km of driving) and when the vehicle comes to a stop, such as in heavy traffic, or at intersection. The noise is noticeable in the cabin, and will usually only last 2-4 seconds.

To date, the vehicle has been to BMW on the Gold Coast, Australia about 4-5 times over the past year and a half to try and fix this under warranty.

A number of components have been replaced, as they thought that it may have been those which were causing it, such as engine mounts and waste-gate etc.

The vehicle still performs perfectly, and currently only has 24,000km on the clock, however this noise is terrible especially when passengers can hear it coming from my ultimate driving machine lol!

The last time the vehicle was in the garage for a little over a month Dec 2015/Jan 2016. As a result they have finally advised me that this noise can not be fixed. They said that its the first case they have heard of, however after driving another customers 40D they also heard it in that cars engine. They said because i'm am male who has a basic understanding of vehicles and that as most people who own 40D's are mothers with scream kids in the back, and usually have their radios turned up. Also they said that the 40D model was rare.

As a result they got BMW Australia involved and it appears the noise is due to an engine software update which occurred after my first service. The software cannot be rolled back, as the software is design to improve performance of the engine.

So now I am left with a BMW that makes this horrible vibration noise, and its driving me nuts!

I have raised my concerns with BMW Australia saying that this is not good enough, as software updates shouldn't make my engine sound like a John Deer tractor! I am now eagerly waiting for a response.

Please let me know if you have an E70 Twin Turbo diesel, as I would love to hear if you have had similar issues.
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. Any lemon laws in Australia?

In the USA, they have already documented 'there are issues' and have attempted to fix it. Even if they now try to say 'oh its normal', they would be forced to lemon in many states.

2. How about a RECORDING of said noise? Really hard for anyone to diagnose based on the description.

3. BMW says it was due to a software update...what SPECIFICALLY was changed? There are technical words that should explain what was done- if they cannot tell you then Id say BS
Old 02-11-2016, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5
I am suffering from this on my X5 but nobody seems to be able find the cause. Have you had any luck resolving this?
Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
I have a 35d, and just noticed the noise over the weekend as well.

Also, does anyone else have a noise from the rear when turning like into a driveway incline where the truck is kind of twisted? It sounds like it's coming from the inside, but the only thing that I would think could make the noise is the metal thing that has within in it, the cargo cover. Maybe I will spray some lithium grease in it's connecting joints.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:59 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwapro View Post
[ ... ] It sounds like it's coming from the inside, but the only thing that I would think could make the noise is the metal thing that has within in it, the cargo cover.
It is removable, if I understand what you are describing.

But the body is quite stiff, ~20 KNm/1 IIRC, so your noise should be being transmitted from suspension components.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.0 Gasser
The body shell may be stiff, but the liftgate/lower hatch design is prone to noise issues.
THINGS I'VE DONE: Cooling system refresh with radiator, key fob surgery, K&N filter (removed), pulleys and tensioners, ECSTuning aluminum w/p pulley, CCV cold weather, DISA gasket, OFHG, Fuel pump/filter PM, ZF auto trans fluid/filter, motor mounts, fcabs, 2nd trans fluid change, steering guibo, rear wheel bearings and hubs, headlamp lens replacement

2001 330 has left the building

X5 fun includes: Trans fluid change. Nav update. Idler pulley replacement. Battery. Tension struts.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:16 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaria1 View Post
The body shell may be stiff, but the liftgate/lower hatch design is prone to noise issues.
When wrongly adjusted.

The liftgate hatch is integral to stiffness. That's what those big plastic bumpers at the lower bend are for, to wedge the liftgate hatch into the opening.

And YOU must differentiate between rattling loose and creaking squeaking of elastomer stiction.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.0 Gasser
Elastomer stiction. You just couldn't post a reply without tossing in words that are not commonly used outside of engineering circles, could you?
"big plastic bumpers"....I get that!
Communication between owners and dealers/mechanics has always been hampered by the two parties using different nomenclature to describe "noises".
THINGS I'VE DONE: Cooling system refresh with radiator, key fob surgery, K&N filter (removed), pulleys and tensioners, ECSTuning aluminum w/p pulley, CCV cold weather, DISA gasket, OFHG, Fuel pump/filter PM, ZF auto trans fluid/filter, motor mounts, fcabs, 2nd trans fluid change, steering guibo, rear wheel bearings and hubs, headlamp lens replacement

2001 330 has left the building

X5 fun includes: Trans fluid change. Nav update. Idler pulley replacement. Battery. Tension struts.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
I will remove the cargo cover and drive around a bit to see if I hear the sound.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
35d, 40d, bmw x5, bmw x5 35d, bmw x6, e70 x5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search