Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 3 series convertible
how to sell a 2007 328 convert?

just got my new 428 x drive convert back from our ED
didnt trade in the 328 as we needed it until the 428 got here from Munich
dealer has done all paperwork and doesnt want trade now
the car is in perfect shape and has 43k miles on it as we did an ED on this 7 years ago
i have never sold a car on the used market: i have been told to use craigs list or ebay
any recommendations obn best way to sell my "baby" would be appreciated
thanks!
dd
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 AM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Consider getting an offer from Car Max. This is especially helpful if you don't want to deal with the hassle of people calling and coming by; along with the attendant concerns about test drives and legitimate methods of payment.

You can usually get more by listing it yourself and negotiating a private transaction; but Google "how to sell your car" for tips that can alleviate concerns.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoran View Post
the car is in perfect shape and has 43k miles on it as we did an ED on this 7 years ago
i have never sold a car on the used market: i have been told to use craigs list or ebay
thanks!
dd
Craigslist is the way to go, but be prepared for low ballers. If the car has been in any type of accident, carmax will offer you wholesale, but it is a good idea to see what they are offering. I'd also suggest to put the car in front of your house with a sale sign. Lastly Facebook is another good venue.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Try an ad in Auto Trader or something like that. The last time I tried to sell a car on Craigslist I got virtually nowhere. It was my 2007 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD in 2011 or 2012, with 43k miles on it? Places like CarMax and CarSense suck away all of the $10k and over sales from Craigslist I think. CL is more for $10k and under type of cars, and especially if they're over 100k miles, but you can certainly try. Probably depends on the area, too. Didn't want to sell it to CarMax at wholesale, so just sold it to my folks who happened to need a car.

My old 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd MT though.... Damn sold that thing in like 5 minutes, with 160k miles on it asking $3500 back in 2008. Thought it would be a tough sell with the manual, but actually had people racing to get to it just for the MT! Go figure! Should have asked for more! Lol

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
I've had really good luck on Autotrader. My old M3 was bought by a soldier who was coming home from active duty and saw it online on Autotrader ... in Afghanistan! It's got a far reach. Good luck
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
In addition to autotrader.com try cars.com. List it here on bimmerfest. Also cargurus.com. If you are a member of BMWCCA, you can list it on their website. Also, you can list on ebay motors. There are several options you can use instead of a straight auction. If you have never sold on ebay before I would call the help line and they will walk you through it.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I sold one car quickly on Autotrader and had many interested people contact me through Craigslist for the same car which sold before they had the opportunity to see it. I sold my boat ($75,000+) in one day through Craigslist. Take numerous pictures of exterior, interior and engine compartment, and provide a detailed listing of all features, including highway miles (for example), one owner, garage kept, maintained properly with all service records available. Before taking the pictures, clean inside and out including the engine, and detail the car.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
In addition to autotrader.com try cars.com. List it here on bimmerfest. Also cargurus.com. If you are a member of BMWCCA, you can list it on their website. Also, you can list on ebay motors. There are several options you can use instead of a straight auction. If you have never sold on ebay before I would call the help line and they will walk you through it.
All of these. Pretty much not Craigslist. Generally CL will not draw quality buyers. AutoTrader, Cars.com, and here will work best.

CarMax can be good for a fast, easy sell, but they will offer you wholesale price.

A one owner 'vert in excellent condition with 43k miles in the middle of summer should draw a lot of interest and a better price than you'd have gotten on trade.

For payment insist on a Cashier's Check drawn on a LOCAL institution where you can meet the buyer and verify its authenticity. If you get an out of town buyer insist on a national bank (e.g. Bank of America) that has branches in your area.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-25-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Also try bmwcca if you are a member and roadfly.com, I have had good luck selling motorcycles on CL in the past, but other things seems to just draw out the crazy people - not sure how cars are, but it has a pretty broad audience - probably worth listing, but be ready for a lot of crap calls and the info gets picked up by bots, last time I listed a bike, started getting calls from some crap service offering to help me sell it. And of course, put it in the for sale section on all the BMW forums and post up a pic in this thread!

Better get on it, getting late to sell a convertible in New England - the dealers like them off the lots by the end of July, people buy them early to get the whole season, when I bought me E46 convertible, it was tough to find one in August when I wanted it!

Good Luck with the sale!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post

For payment insist on a Cashier's Check drawn on a LOCAL institution where you can meet the buyer and verify its authenticity. If you get an out of town buyer insist on a national bank (e.g. Bank of America) that has branches in your area.
Good points. Note that cashier's checks can be and have been forged. You might want to go to the bank with the buyer to verify funding.

Also file a sold/title transfer form with your state DMV or go with the buyer to transfer the title into his/her name. You don't want the plates and title in your name once you no longer have possession or control of the car.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
I prefer AutoTrader. It has wide distribution, and it seems to attract a higher quality buyer.

The last vehicle I sold there (non-BMW) drew five full-price offers, and a couple of lowball offers. The first full-price offer was genuine, and the buyer paid by bank wire transfer.

Obviously, I had the vehicle underpriced by a bit. But, asking price was a little more than I had expected to get. I thought I had done my market research....

If you are a BMW CCA member, that is also an excellent place to advertise. And it is free.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 08 BMW 335i cabrio
Quote:
thanks!
dd
Everyone has given you great advice! But first I would def try carmax and see what they offer you. Usually if the car is in good shape and has low miles, which seems to be the case with your car then def try carmax first. A buddy of mine sold his Cadillac STS with 51k miles on it late last year for $16 or $17k at carmax. I think it was like a 2007. I thought that was unbelievable!!!! And it was more than he was offered as a trade in on his new Jeep Wrangler.

I really think carmax will give you anywhere from $19-22k for the car because they will sell it for about $26 or 28k which is top dollar for that year. Then if that doesn't work do craigslist but again they are gonna try to buy it for the lowest possible price there. I know because I've sold a crap load of cars on craigslist when I was a used car dealer! Try autotrader and cars.com as well. I've never had any luck with autotrader though. But I've bought a lot of cars from autotrader.

Currently own: [U]08 BMW 335i vert, 07 Mazda CX-7 GT (DD)
Previously owned: 03 Infiniti G35 sedan, 00 Mercedes-Benz S-430, 97 Volvo 960, 01 BMW 330i, 97 Lexus ES300, 09 Honda Civic LX, 04 BMW 325CIc, 00 BMW 323i, 97 Honda Accord EX Coupe, 99 Ford Expedition EB, 05 Mazda 6i, 94 BMW 325i, 98 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS6 "Collectors Edition", & 87 Honda Prelude Si (First car)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:

A jest? L'il sweetie like that will sell in a day, Ebay / Craigslist....check local prices....

Old 07-27-2014, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
Just for the info alone, try Carmax. Around here they pay above wholesale especially if the car is low miles, no-mod sweetheart. Plus they know the states buy/sell routine, handling of plates & paperwork and their check is legit.
In any case, good luck and enjoy the 4
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 3 series convertible
thanks for all the help

i just listed it on autotrader for 17,750
3 dealers were showing similar car with far more mileage for 20k
have to add photos later as the car is at my cottage on cape cod right now
will also drive it by car max and see what they would offer
CL seems like I could get some strange low ball buyers
will let you know how it turns out