Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 335
2011 335d deal opinions

First time posting and apologies if this gets asked a lot but I guess I'm looking for a vote of confidence and other driver opinions.

Today I test drove and loved a 2011 335D w/ M Sport package and Premium package. The car had all the bells and whisles including nav, parking sensors and rear sunshade.

Being that it was a diesel, the car felt extremely refined and more powerful than my 2013 Scion FR-S.

The dealer is asking for $29,998 which is not a bad price considering the car has 38339 on the odometer.

Is this a fair price? What things should I ask and look for? Dare I say that it is a CarMax but they are giving me a pretty good deal on my trade in to where I can make my first Bimmer purchase a reality!

I will try to post pictures of the vehicle later. Looks prestine except for wear above the start button and some interior buttons. The front plastic lip under the front bumper was bent/scratched so I'm certainly having them look at that or else there will be no purchase from me.
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 AM

Here is a link to the vehicle.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...ave%20car:page

I see the history report has it in one accident so looks like I won't be going after this one

Last edited by FerraraZ; 07-25-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerraraZ View Post
Here is a link to the vehicle.
I see the history report has it in one accident so looks like I won't be going after this one
Accidents are not necessarily a reason not to buy a car; depends entirely upon the severity.

I would like to note that that one is an msport; 335d's are very hard to find with the msport package. The price partly reflects that rarity, as it's higher than us diesel aficionados are seeing other places. The mileage doesn't matter other than warranty coverage.

Be sure to read the diesel sub-forum. IMO, it would be very wise to buy a CPO, or at least have an extended warranty on these cars. The 335d is a wonderful car, but it's not without maintenance issues (on emissions systems - the motor and tranny are solid.)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:50 AM

Thing is this was a major accident to the front left side of the vehicle where the vehicle had to be towed.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Coupe
I never knew carmax to sell cars that have been in accidents. I'd ask them If I were to turn around and sell this car back to you tomorrow, what would you give me for it. I purchased my 2011 335i coupe from GA for 1k cheaper with 40k. I think you can find a better deal than that.
2011 335i Coupe Born 5/15/10 | Spacegrau Metallic | Leder Dakota | Harmon Kardon | Convenience Package | Cold Weather Package | Premium Package | Sport Package | 19" 230 Style Wheel | 225/35/19 front 255/30/19 rear Bridgestone Potenza
Old 07-25-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cost2much View Post
I never knew carmax to sell cars that have been in accidents. I'd ask them If I were to turn around and sell this car back to you tomorrow, what would you give me for it. I purchased my 2011 335i coupe from GA for 1k cheaper with 40k. I think you can find a better deal than that.
I went again today to discuss the damage. They said that they really have no way of knowing when the vehicle is purchased or brought in due to CarMax purchasing model.

The service tech told me that the door had been repainted and the front left fender was replaced. Body damage is something that I am somewhat ok with. I am seeing if they will throw in their extended warranty for little to no cost. At the very least I would have a warranty for the vehicle until 130k miles.

I really loved the car especially while driving it and the fact that its a 335d makes it all the better. Should I seriously just walk away?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Carmax claims that they won't sell cars that have frame damage. They also claim to stand behind the quality of their cars.

That being said, when looking for my current Bimmer, I had a 335is shipped to the local Carmax. It had two reported [supposedly minor] rear end accidents. It looked good and drove great.

I would have purchased the car,but then found a CPO with no accidents and lower mileage about 170 miles from my home. The negotiated price was within $500 of the Carmax car + their extended warranty. I deemed the price difference reasonable for its reduced mileage and accident-free status.

Any car is worth whatever the buyer and seller agree upon. Carmax doesn't negotiate and I doubt that they'll discount their extended warranty. From past experience when buying a different car, they WILL replace marginal tires and do some detailing.

Best of luck in your quest; whether with this car or another.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
Carmax claims that they won't sell cars that have frame damage. They also claim to stand behind the quality of their cars.

That being said, when looking for my current Bimmer, I had a 335is shipped to the local Carmax. It had two reported [supposedly minor] rear end accidents. It looked good and drove great.

I would have purchased the car,but then found a CPO with no accidents and lower mileage about 170 miles from my home. The negotiated price was within $500 of the Carmax car + their extended warranty. I deemed the price difference reasonable for its reduced mileage and accident-free status.

Any car is worth whatever the buyer and seller agree upon. Carmax doesn't negotiate and I doubt that they'll discount their extended warranty. From past experience when buying a different car, they WILL replace marginal tires and do some detailing.

Best of luck in your quest; whether with this car or another.
I agree with this, I found other 335D that would cost 500 to transport to my Carmax and have a clean record. The only thing I cannot find is one with the M sport package. I will likely ship one to my location.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Canyon Carver

I've had the experience of buying a car only to find one in better condition at a lower price within weeks.

I've also had the experience of waiting for a better deal only to lose the car that I "really" wanted over a few dollars and then settling for a lesser machine.

Experience from multiple car transactions has taught me that waiting for exactly what I want may take a while and may cost me a few $ more than I expect to spend; but the satisfaction of having the car that precisely meets my needs and/or desires makes the time and few $ seem inconsequential.

The car that you linked looks great and may be discounted slightly due to its previous accident; but if it's exactly what you want and checks out with a respected independent it may be worth the investment.

Only you can decide ... the rest of us don't have any money in the game.

Let us know when you get YOUR car.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Canyon Carver

Just did a Carmax search. "Your" car shows as no longer available.
Others with under 50k mileage and the sport package are found at:

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page

and

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page

I didn't explore the history of each, but they're out there and more will likely arrive in coming days.

Good luck in finding YOUR car!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: '09 BMW 335d
Here's a sweet 335d with the M Sport pkg, with a CPO warranty, at BMW Dallas where my Dad bought his new 2009 335d with sport pkg, (and now in my garage!) Absolutely love the car! I can count the number of times I've seen a similar 335d with Sport/Nav/Comfort/Prem pkg all together, and this one has the upgraded stereo that they must have forgot to check the box on when they built mine.

Would recommend (ex. Stanadyne) performance additive and lubricity formula to make up for US diesel fuel, and steer clear of any bio blend over B5.

Evolve has a tune that looks like you can do yourself with their USB dongle and a Windows laptop, that bumps a 335d up to around 350 bhp / 700Nm.

http://www.evolveautomotive.com/e9x-.../335d-286_735/

http://www.bmwofdallas.com/VehicleDe...-TX/2296953163

SmartChoice Price
$30,483

Engine: 3.0 Liter
Exterior: Black
Transmission: Automatic
Interior: Oyster/black
Stock Number: BF184282
Model Code: 1181
VIN: WBAPN7C53BF184282
Mileage: 35,184

Options

HEATED FRONT SEATS (494)
REAR PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (REQ: ZMP M Sport Pkg) (507)
HARD DRIVE-BASED NAVIGATION SYSTEM -inc: 16:9 high-resolution display, 3-D screen, voice command system, real time traffic info, iDrive system w/on-board computer, 6 programmable memory buttons, 12 GB media storage (REQ: 6FL iPod & USB Adapter w/639 BMW Assist) (REQ: 639 BMW Assist w/6FL iPod & USB Adapter) (609)
BMW ASSIST -inc: auto collision notification, Assist & SOS buttons, Bluetooth interface, roadside assistance, TeleService, stolen vehicle recovery, concierge & customer services (w/609 Navigation System-inc: Online Info Services) (639)
SATELLITE RADIO -inc: (1) year subscription (655)
HARMAN KARDON SURROUND SOUND -inc: iPod & USB adapter (REQ: ZP2 Premium Pkg 2 & 6FL iPod & USB Adapter) (688)
IPOD & USB ADAPTER (6FL)
SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION (REQ: 6NR BMW Apps) (6NF)
BMW APPS -inc: smartphone integration (REQ: 6FL iPod & USB Adapter, 609 Navigation System, & 639 BMW Assist) (6NR)
M STEERING WHEEL (REQ: ZMP M Sport Pkg) (710)
OYSTER/BLACK, DAKOTA LEATHER SEAT TRIM (LCCX)
M SPORT PKG -inc: 18" x 8.0" front & 18" x 8.5" rear star-spoke alloy wheels (style 193M), P225/40R18 front & P255/35R18 rear run-flat performance tires, sport seats, rear park distance control, sport suspension, aerodynamic kit, shadowline exterior trim, anthracite headliner, increased top speed limiter (N/A w/ZSP Sport Pkg) (REQ: 300 Alpine White, 354 Titanium Silver Metallic, 475 Black Sapphire Metallic, 896 Blue Water Metallic, A52 Space Gray Metallic, or 381 Le Mans Blue Metallic Paint) (REQ: 710 or 7XA Steering Wheel) (ZMP)
PREMIUM PKG -inc: Dakota leather seat trim, universal garage door opener, auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors, auto-dimming rearview mirror w/compass, front seats w/4-way pwr lumbar, BMW Assist w/4-year subscription, Bluetooth interface *No Longer Factory Orderable, See Dealer for Current Availability* (ZPP)

Last edited by AirBull; 07-25-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Op be sure to get an extended warranty. And this is important: Make sure that warranty covers the injectors, carbon build up, and the diesel emission fluid system and tanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Sport package 335ds aren't as rare as msport and you still get the sport seats, sport suspension etc.

ED Video:

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 AM

So you're saying that this is not even all that rare or worth it for the price? I'll certainly get the extended warranty to secure me over 100k miles for roughly around 32-33 after tax and tags.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that this is not even all that rare or worth it for the price? I'll certainly get the extended warranty to secure me over 100k miles for roughly around 32-33 after tax and tags.

Quite to the contrary, with a good warranty in particular, it's a great, rare find. I saw figures last week that I thought were around 1,100 335d in 2009, 1,200 in 2010, and like 7,700 in 2011. The number of preferable Sport and M-Sport packages are a small percentage of that.

425 lbs/ft tq in a six cylinder twin turbo in a 3 series is BMW performance unlike of what you can buy new. Get the car, watch the quality of the diesel (applies for any new diesel vehicle in the US today,) you stick in, and enjoy!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 AM

I'm currently confirming the few intricacies of the Carmax warranty. It states it covers the engine but just how in-depth will be something I will confirm. I think I will be the car next week, prob. give it another test drive and look over. Really hoping that what they say is true and the accident was just cosmetic with a new fender and front bumper and painted door.

I figure, this is my first BMW that I've dreamed about since I was a child. I plan to have it for the life of the vehicle so getting a 100k warranty on top of the 33k miles the vehicle has, should put me in a good place.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Op be sure to get an extended warranty. And this is important: Make sure that warranty covers the injectors, carbon build up, and the diesel emission fluid system and tanks.

Sadly BMW extended warranties all exclude CBU 'maintenance'

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

My point was there are significantly more Sport than Msport 335d out there. Most of us want the the sport/msport for the sport seats and sport suspension first and foremost. Some also want the differing front and rear fascia and wheels on the msport or Le mans blue which is sport only.

So if you want a 335d with the sport seats and suspension a car with ZSP (sport package) will be easier to find than an msport. It will drive and feel the same as the msport and be a tad cheaper as well.

ED Video:

BMWCCA #448878
Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Sadly BMW extended warranties all exclude CBU 'maintenance'

You know this to be true? any link to documentation of that?
I'm debating whether to get an extended warranty or to part ways with my d.

ED Video:

BMWCCA #448878
Old 07-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
No kidding, especially since BMW runs those commercials saying that "everything" is covered under a BMW CPO warranty. Earlier in the year, BMW upgraded the CPO warranty to even include navigation units.

I refi' my Dad's 2009 at PenFed and bought a Route 66 Warranty for it when I did. I should probably look into it and verify if they would cover this procedure or not, because if not I'm not sure the warranty is worth it. The only problems on the car have been the little things (that still cost a lot of money,) and the diesel emission junk (that the Route 66 warranty won't cover, anyways.)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:39 PM

So I'm told by the CarMax employee that their MaxCare warranty will cover the diesel emission fluid system and tanks but NOT injectors, or CBU.

Decided I'm purchasing the vehicle on the 31st. Going to test drive it again tomorrow but I'm feeling as though I want to keep this vehicle for a VERY long time. I'm purchasing an extended warranty of 100k miles or 60 months. If the vehicle comes with issues then I'll have atleast spent the extra money to potentially pay for a couple thousands in repairs. If I dont need it, then while it may be money wasted it gave me piece of mind on a car that I was nervous about. I've only ever purchased new vehicles so it's not just the damaged front fender but just a new car in general.

I'll post pictures here when I get it!

Last edited by FerraraZ; 07-27-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
The BMW extended warranty will not cover performance "issues/questions" due to Carbon build up (things like it is not pulling as hard as it used to or decreased fuel economy); however, it will cover repairs if the car is throwing a code that requires carbon clean up to clear.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:48 PM

Attached are the rates for the warranty. Since I work from home I think I'll go for the 75k with 100 dollar deductible. The rates are higher than what I've seen other people report but carmax apparently won't haggle on these rates either. Still I think it's fair, are there any trouble spots I should worry about that warrant covering the vehicle to 139k?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406526408759.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	455015  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Attached are the rates for the warranty. Since I work from home I think I'll go for the 75k with 100 dollar deductible. The rates are higher than what I've seen other people report but carmax apparently won't haggle on these rates either. Still I think it's fair, are there any trouble spots I should worry about that warrant covering the vehicle to 139k?

A couple of weeks after I bought my 335is , I returned to the local Carmax to look at the car I'd passed upon [to ""justify" paying a bit more for the CPO car I purchased].

FWIW, the salesman told me that warranty rates on BMWs, Audis, and other German cars had increased in the interim ... apparently to recover some of the costs that we all know are associated with repairs.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
A couple of weeks after I bought my 335is , I returned to the local Carmax to look at the car I'd passed upon [to ""justify" paying a bit more for the CPO car I purchased].

FWIW, the salesman told me that warranty rates on BMWs, Audis, and other German cars had increased in the interim ... apparently to recover some of the costs that we all know are associated with repairs.
Seems to be exactly what is happening. I don't mind, he prices are fine especially if the tranny goes.

Now I'm debating that they should fix the dented piece of plastic under the front bumper. Looks like it was dented/scrapped when parking the vehicle in front of a stopper.