Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: E90 325i
Transmission Malfunction, DSC Malfunction, Car Shut off

Hello,

I recently started experiencing issues with my 2006 BMW 325i. Car was on and running put into reverse then car shut off. Tried to restart it but only cranked for a few seconds. Finally, it started but these malfunction errors, Tire pressure and Service Engine soon light came up and my car wouldnt shift and was stuck at 3k RPM. I used a cheap OBD2 reader and got codes: P0335, P0700 and P1727.

Been a week so far and one Indy shop said they think its the Crankshaft sensor. Every morning the car cranks and doesnt start then about the 4th try it starts but is rough and then the malfunction lights and service engine soon come on. As I go to drive it doesnt want to shift and RPM's only get higher.

Today it started like normal then after driving 1/2 a mile the malfunction lights kicked on, my RPM's started climbing and car wouldnt shift. I pulled over to let the car warm up and rev the engine. Drove about 10 miles with no issues and all warning lights were gone.

Could it be crankshaft sensor? Wheel speed sensor? Low transmission fluid? Water in Battery compartment? An update to software for ECU?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	454350   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	454351  
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Those latter 2 faults indicate an issue with the trans....my bet is the shift solenoids are bad or clogged.

Use a BMW specific scanner and have the trans module (EGS) scanned for faults.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Would the shift solenoid be the part thats located in the front of engine block? I believe there is two of them. I also attached a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	454408  
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
No. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission on the bottom when you take off the Transmission cover/pan. That is a Crankshaft or Camshaft sensor (usually interchangeable and on the engine).
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycali View Post
Would the shift solenoid be the part thats located in the front of engine block? I believe there is two of them. I also attached a photo.

No, it would be a transmission assy. View below! See the row of 7 solenoids on the left? They've colored caps....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 07-25-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:16 AM

BMW Dealer said I have a mechatronics sealing sleeve leak. Do you think my car is doing all of this because of the leak or more so those colored solenoids need to be replaced? Or will that entire unit need to be replaced?

I thought it was just the crankshaft sensor causing these symptoms and I don't want to buy the sensor if its something completely different. Thanks for the video CALWATERBOYDUE
Old 07-26-2014, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
these are Vanos Solenoid

Trans solenoid is with the gear box
Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Reregistered User

Quote:
BMW Dealer said I have a mechatronics sealing sleeve leak. Do you think my car is doing all of this because of the leak or more so those colored solenoids need to be replaced? Or will that entire unit need to be replaced?

I thought it was just the crankshaft sensor causing these symptoms and I don't want to buy the sensor if its something completely different. Thanks for the video CALWATERBOYDUE

Mechatronic's both HERE and THERE.....awkward, yes, but entirely doable in your garage on jack stands.

No solenoids will be disturbed during this procedure.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:00 PM

So do you think just the sleeve would fix the issues or is that whole system needing to be replaced? Thanks for those PDF's very helpful!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
So do you think just the sleeve would fix the issues or is that whole system needing to be replaced? Thanks for those PDF's very helpful!

I think it will satisfy the dealer's diagnosis.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325xi
Im actually having the same issue but only started after I replaced the Starter that went out, Never had issues with my car/trans until the starter had went out, is it possible when the starter was replaced that the crankshaft positioning sensor was unplugged causing the same issues? Im getting Crankshaft, gearbox malfunctions as codes, car will not shift and cranks for several seconds but starts everytime. my car is a 2006 325xi