Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X-1
LF Tire pressure drops to 29 from 35 and stays there

My 2014 X-1 is 7 months old with only 2,000 miles. 3 weeks ago the dash alerted me to low pressure in LF. Checked and it was 29lbs so I added air to bring it back to 35. After sitting in the parking lot for 2 weeks, pressure was once again down to 29. Checked valve stem which seemed tight. Did not purchase extended tire protection. Does it sound like this might be a patchable run flat tire? Any thoughts on warranty protection from dealer? Pirelli? or am I looking at replacing a Pirelli RF tire with only 2,000 miles? Bob
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
If the dealer won't touch you, Pirelli should.
I guess it depends on the leak.
You would hope a bad valve stem would be covered by BMW.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 28I
could be you picked up a nail or screw. and have a slow leak. Happened to me. Americas tire patched it for me and I have had no problem.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Soapy water

Did you try mixing up some kitchen dishwashing liquid in water and pouring it around the valve stem and even perhaps the rim. If you can easily remove the wheel and tire from the car, check it really carefully for a puncture. If you are careful with the soap/water solution, and are able to pour it on without causing bubbles, a leak will show.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
By far the most likely scenario is that you have a puncture and slow leak. Losing a few psi per week could easily be a small nail, tack, etc. I'd take it to a good tire show and have them check the tire. I bet you a dollar to a donut, you've got a puncture.

Aside.... I recently rotated tires and found two small nails in the tires on one side of the vehicle. Maybe it just happened, but I had no discernible loss of pressure at all - I might have been driving around like this for weeks. Not every puncture causes rapid loss of air.

Unless you guy a special policy, the regular tire warranty does not cover road hazards. But most big shops these days fix them for free, so it really isn't an economic problem. If the puncture is a simple foreign object in the tread (not the sidewall), there are acceptable repairs that will last the life of the tire. There is nothing about runflats that doesn't allow them to be plugged/patched.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 07-30-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkassem View Post
Did you try mixing up some kitchen dishwashing liquid in water and pouring it around the valve stem and even perhaps the rim. If you can easily remove the wheel and tire from the car, check it really carefully for a puncture. If you are careful with the soap/water solution, and are able to pour it on without causing bubbles, a leak will show.
+1

or throw it in your neighbor's pool.