Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-DDnTX View Post
I am trying to determine which BWM color is closest to gun metal grey. This looks about right; is this mineral grey?

DD
yes, that and this is mineral Grey metalic
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
With the help of a fellow soon to be M4 owner we got the V1 installed yesterday with the Savy control unit. A very simple and VERY clean way to install radar detector. will post up some photos later.

quick review, I have 2 9500ix in my 2 other cars as a reference. I really like the types of sound and volume of sound from the V1 vs the 9500. the 9500 is very manic, while the V1 alerts you to the threat without causing your heart to race. The 9500 signal strength and type of signal is much easier to read on the 9500 vs the v1, but the v1 will also tell you the direction and quantity of threats a head, something I really like.

while my 9500 will filter out false alarms, the V1 doesnt seem to get to crazy with the alerts of type x or weak signal K, I am still debating which one is better filtered or non filtered. I can say my 9500 has actually filtered out actual threats, that sit in the same spots by my house in a park, that i do not like. Something the V1 doesnt have that the 9500 does is Red light camera and speed traps. if you live in areas where this is a part of your life, the 9500 would be the way to go.

The 9500 in auto mode, will auto mute the detector. the V1 has a mute button and a mute button level so you can set the amount the v1 mutes. But with the Savy unit and obd interconnection you can set a speed where the v1 will automatically switch to mute volume levels pre determined by you. and set between 15-65 mph. thought the full volume of the V1 like i stated earlier is not that bad.

I have yet to run into enough threats with the v1 to determine its accuracy or distance to the 9500. I will update this post after I perform some side by side tests

All in all very happy with the purchase and cant wait to test it out some more
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:46 PM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is online now
Mr. Innocent
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,365
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Rocky View Post
With the help of a fellow soon to be M4 owner we got the V1 installed yesterday with the Savy control unit. A very simple and VERY clean way to install radar detector. will post up some photos later.

quick review, I have 2 9500ix in my 2 other cars as a reference. I really like the types of sound and volume of sound from the V1 vs the 9500. the 9500 is very manic, while the V1 alerts you to the threat without causing your heart to race. The 9500 signal strength and type of signal is much easier to read on the 9500 vs the v1, but the v1 will also tell you the direction and quantity of threats a head, something I really like.

while my 9500 will filter out false alarms, the V1 doesnt seem to get to crazy with the alerts of type x or weak signal K, I am still debating which one is better filtered or non filtered. I can say my 9500 has actually filtered out actual threats, that sit in the same spots by my house in a park, that i do not like. Something the V1 doesnt have that the 9500 does is Red light camera and speed traps. if you live in areas where this is a part of your life, the 9500 would be the way to go.

The 9500 in auto mode, will auto mute the detector. the V1 has a mute button and a mute button level so you can set the amount the v1 mutes. But with the Savy unit and obd interconnection you can set a speed where the v1 will automatically switch to mute volume levels pre determined by you. and set between 15-65 mph. thought the full volume of the V1 like i stated earlier is not that bad.

I have yet to run into enough threats with the v1 to determine its accuracy or distance to the 9500. I will update this post after I perform some side by side tests

All in all very happy with the purchase and cant wait to test it out some more
as you mentioned, the V1 gives a bogey and directional count. I've had mine for over a year now, and have found it extremely useful on road trips, especially when you spot the obvious bogey right away, but it's telling you that there are 2 or 3. In one instance I got the hit from a unit going the same direction, and spotted him a half mile ahead, but was showing 2 units, so I slowed, and sure enough, as I crested a small hill, unit #2 was sitting on the shoulder with his radar on!
I usually pick up signals a mile away on our Vegas trips. One time it said 4 units were ahead, and sure enough, we came upon an accident scene and counted 4 units there.
The false signals just get my attention, and remind me to be more aware, so I don't mind.
Another nice thing about the directional arrows: once in awhile a semi will set it off, and when the arrow reverses as I pass the truck, it's verification that he was the cause.
Mine is still suction cup mounted, so I'm looking forward to seeing your install write-up!
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=325723&dateline=1371746393
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 AM
BobBigMan BobBigMan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern Ireland
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 207
Mein Auto: Audi A6 TDI
Beautiful machine and class looking in mineral grey, still a very rare sight on our roads.
__________________
2011 Audi A6 3.0TDI S/Line ....... Now here.
2012 BMW F30 328i ....... Being considered for the wife.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
as you mentioned, the V1 gives a bogey and directional count. I've had mine for over a year now, and have found it extremely useful on road trips, especially when you spot the obvious bogey right away, but it's telling you that there are 2 or 3. In one instance I got the hit from a unit going the same direction, and spotted him a half mile ahead, but was showing 2 units, so I slowed, and sure enough, as I crested a small hill, unit #2 was sitting on the shoulder with his radar on!
I usually pick up signals a mile away on our Vegas trips. One time it said 4 units were ahead, and sure enough, we came upon an accident scene and counted 4 units there.
The false signals just get my attention, and remind me to be more aware, so I don't mind.
Another nice thing about the directional arrows: once in awhile a semi will set it off, and when the arrow reverses as I pass the truck, it's verification that he was the cause.
Mine is still suction cup mounted, so I'm looking forward to seeing your install write-up!

I have the suction cup set up too. blend mount does not have a mount for the M4 yet, i am on the waiting list but now that I have it set up the way i do, i dont think i want the blend mount with this car. I have mine just so it clears the top of the nav display screen, it seems to be the best spot for it on this car. didnt like it on the visor, didnt like it under the mirror and was a little to big for between sun shade and a pillar on driver side.
Ill grab some pics when the wife gets home and share them.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBigMan View Post
Beautiful machine and class looking in mineral grey, still a very rare sight on our roads.
Thanks, I see your in Ireland? I have family in County Kerry
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 PM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is online now
Mr. Innocent
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,365
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Rocky View Post
I have the suction cup set up too. blend mount does not have a mount for the M4 yet, i am on the waiting list but now that I have it set up the way i do, i dont think i want the blend mount with this car. I have mine just so it clears the top of the nav display screen, it seems to be the best spot for it on this car. didnt like it on the visor, didnt like it under the mirror and was a little to big for between sun shade and a pillar on driver side.
Ill grab some pics when the wife gets home and share them.
Mine is wedged right above my mirror. Still works quite well!
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=325723&dateline=1371746393
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 PM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is online now
Mr. Innocent
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,365
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
P.S. I like to grab it and pop it in the wife's car on long trips!
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=325723&dateline=1371746393
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1407265014.458468.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	456740

Here is where it ended up, and honestly I think it's the best spot for it, most of detector is below info screen yet visible for signal direction. Hard wire cord was easily tucked along windshield and there us a panel easily removed on driver side with panel tools. Once that panel is removed I used a nylon fish tape to pull wire down. Wire comes out at bottom right next to savvy unit and odp port for an extremely clean and simple installation.

(wire has not been tucked yet in this photo)


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Im_Rocky; 08-05-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 AM
M4Topdown M4Topdown is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: M4
Hey Rocky-Would love to see pics of your interior. I'm ordering M4 next week and thinking about going with the same color.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Topdown View Post
Hey Rocky-Would love to see pics of your interior. I'm ordering M4 next week and thinking about going with the same color.
only one photo of interior at the moment, will get the camera out and get a few more

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
P.S. I like to grab it and pop it in the wife's car on long trips!
I have 2 9500ix in my other cars. protection seems good with the v1, and i love the directionals. that being said I enjoy the false alarm store and red light camera of the escort too.

btw for anyone curious, i plugged in a 9500ix to the savvy and it worked, using the v1 cord
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-17-2014, 10:13 AM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is online now
Mr. Innocent
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,365
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
My V1 was going crazy on the way to Las Vegas Friday night, so I started to ignore it. Turns out that Chippy was right on my back bumper for awhile! I was behaving myself at the time, so he pulled around me and went on to the next one!
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=325723&dateline=1371746393
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
My Mineral Grey Metallic M4

Did the lock delete today , looks much better and paint is spot on.

Great job @IND


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1408309369.256517.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	459036


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB-bimmer View Post
On last picture; why so much gap betwen M and Z? You afraid they gona start fighting? Lol

I have a 10 year old son and he has friends! I am very protective of the Z, in fact 99% of the time it's at our shop and not at home, away from evil do'ers Lol

No dings allowed on either


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-17-2014, 11:54 PM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is online now
Mr. Innocent
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,365
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB-bimmer View Post
;-) pic looks funny Like two pitbulls ready to fight :-))))
No, it's an Akita and a German Shepherd!
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=325723&dateline=1371746393
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Ive had a lot of requests from the Z guys to see a race between the two cars. The M goes in for its 1200 mile service wednesday. will have to get the go pro out and make a trip out to Mexico to see how they do against each other.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Joz132 Joz132 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicagoland
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Rocky View Post
Ive had a lot of requests from the Z guys to see a race between the two cars. The M goes in for its 1200 mile service wednesday. will have to get the go pro out and make a trip out to Mexico to see how they do against each other.
I have experience driving an M4, and I'm familiar with Mexico - Let me know if you need assistance
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-18-2014, 02:29 PM
ciaranob's Avatar
ciaranob ciaranob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 581
Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB-bimmer View Post
On last picture; why so much gap betwen M and Z? You afraid they gona start fighting? Lol
What freaks me out is the pile of stacked tools and junk on the bench that is ready to fall down on the M4 Guess your so tight to the bench it will just prop them up
__________________
M4 Convertible, MG, DCT loaded with Ind leather and trim - ED Sept, 2014
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
What freaks me out is the pile of stacked tools and junk on the bench that is ready to fall down on the M4 Guess your so tight to the bench it will just prop them up
lol, that stuff not there anymore, wife was still cleaning garage while i was taking pictures but didn't want to be in them.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 PM
ciaranob's Avatar
ciaranob ciaranob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 581
Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Rocky View Post
lol, that stuff not there anymore, wife was still cleaning garage while i was taking pictures but didn't want to be in them.
BTW - here is what I plan to do once mine is redelivered from ED with VHT or similar ultra-high heat ceramic paint- using the back of your car (not sure if I'll go dark grey (1st pic) or all the way to black (2nd pic):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grey-can.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	459229   Click image for larger version

Name:	can-black.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	459230  
__________________
M4 Convertible, MG, DCT loaded with Ind leather and trim - ED Sept, 2014

Last edited by ciaranob; 08-18-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
BTW - here is what I plan to do once mine is redelivered from ED with VHT or similar ultra-high heat ceramic paint- using the back of your car (not sure if I'll go dark grey or all the way to black:
I'm with you on that, thats the one part of the car i think they could have done a better job with. i noticed neither of the 2 diffusers I've seen do any thing to hide that monster either.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM
ciaranob's Avatar
ciaranob ciaranob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 581
Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Rocky View Post
I'm with you on that, thats the one part of the car i think they could have done a better job with. i noticed neither of the 2 diffusers I've seen do any thing to hide that monster either.
+1 - have been griping about it for some time Have a thread on options elsewhere to deal with it but only Akrapovic has anything close to an option to cover it up so far - and they for whatever reason only cover the mid third leaving the unsightly bits on either end, bizarre. Hoping someone will develop a better diffuser cover-up in the near future.
__________________
M4 Convertible, MG, DCT loaded with Ind leather and trim - ED Sept, 2014
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Im_Rocky Im_Rocky is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern Illinois
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
From cars and coffee this morning
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1408895369.635562.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	460374


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms