Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
Unhappy Sludge in the engine

Help! I have 328i. I ran out of gas twice back in May and June when my fuel guage reported I was low on fuel but not out. I finally took it in to have it serviced at the end of June when it happened again. The problem was fixed but the car died on me twice after I drove out of the service center. I took it right back in and when they checked it they said they only found an oil leak and changed the oil pan. I picked it up for the second time and the car died on me again while leaving work. After checking the dealership claims I have sludge and metal pieces in my engine. My warranty didn't cover it due to insufficient record of maintenance. I took it to an outside service center in January and had it done. I bought my own oil but was unable to locate receipt for oil and filter. Besides that, I was told I needed to change the oil every 5000 miles when I was told initially the car needed an oil change every 15,000 miles. Now, I'm being told I have to get a new engine which will cost me $10,000. I need serious help with this. My car was not doing this prior to taking it in and getting a new fuel sensor. I also might add they did an all point inspection at this time and reported nothing about sludge. Please advise.
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
If you car is under warranty talk to BMW NA. If I were you I'd start looking for service records in a serious way...

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 07-28-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328IHouston View Post
Help! I have 328i. I ran out of gas twice back in May and June when my fuel guage reported I was low on fuel but not out. I finally took it in to have it serviced at the end of June when it happened again. The problem was fixed but the car died on me twice after I drove out of the service center. I took it right back in and when they checked it they said they only found an oil leak and changed the oil pan. I picked it up for the second time and the car died on me again while leaving work. After checking the dealership claims I have sludge and metal pieces in my engine. My warranty didn't cover it due to insufficient record of maintenance. I took it to an outside service center in January and had it done. I bought my own oil but was unable to locate receipt for oil and filter. Besides that, I was told I needed to change the oil every 5000 miles when I was told initially the car needed an oil change every 15,000 miles. Now, I'm being told I have to get a new engine which will cost me $10,000. I need serious help with this. My car was not doing this prior to taking it in and getting a new fuel sensor. I also might add they did an all point inspection at this time and reported nothing about sludge. Please advise.
what kind of oil did they use at the independant mechanic that you brought it to?
in order to go 15K between changes, it needs to be synthetic oil of the correct grade. what kind and weight of oil did you bring to the oil change place?

the service center that changed the oil pan, was that a bmw dealer or another place?
i've had a few bmws have no problem doing the 15K mile oil changes with the correct oil. my 2001 went 150K miles on 15K oil changes untill it was totalled in an accident.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 07-28-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
What advice would you like?

What is the history of the vehicle?

Are you the original owner? Who diagnosed this sludge?

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 07-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328IHouston View Post

New engine you say? How weird! Tell us.....how exactly did they come to that conclusion? Answer should include specific troubleshooting procedures and results, a technical explanation.

Now then. Your BMW has a very specific spec for engine oil, and it is given in the owner's manual. You have one, right? If not [click here] There. Now you know what oil to buy. Clean out the old; in with the new, plus filter!

Hang on -- how come you gotta change oil every 5k mi? Why, your BMW has an Oil Condition Sensor that tells you when old oil's worn out. You should take it's advice, which under light use is easily 15k mi. There's a ton o'stuff going on with your car most drivers don't know about! Here's a primer for what the future may hold.

A big ol' Hell-o to ya'll over in Texas, 328IHouston - and remember, God helps those as helps themselves! Check the volume of DIY tutorials available for your ride....impressive....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 07-28-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
its funny when the cars are under warranty its a 15,000 mile oil change and then when it blows up, its ooooo you should have changed the oil every 5000 miles, the least you should do is call BMW north America and tell them the dealer that told you that, that is precisely why I change my oil at 7500 max and using BMW oil and filter and keep the receipt and a log book when and mileage of when I changed the oil

another great question, Is you say the car runs but just dies, have you thought about taking it to a place that will power flush the oil system, put in fresh oil and a new filter and see if it will crank

if the engine is locked up which from your post it sounds like it is not, then try the power flush, even remove the oil pan and clean it out, the oil is suppose to go thru the filter before any components

you might have 1000 in that solution instead of 10,000 if that does work I would change the oil filter every 500 miles and the oil every 3000 till all metal it gone,

but if you have metal chunks in the oil its not bearing, or rods. pistons, maybe vans

but I would have it dissembled to a point to to see where the metal is coming from
Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I recently did an oil analysis of our 325i with 150.000km (93200 mls) on it, and this was on oil with 18.000km (12k + mls). The remarks that came back from Blackstone were very positiveand they saw no problem with me extending the interval.

So did you do due-diligence when picking up the car used and check for maintenance records? Or assuming you bought it new......do you keep records of your service? That's what the stamp book on the Service/warranty booklet is for, proof of maintenance service. Every dealer should have a stamp and will stamp it upon request.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: '08 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I recently did an oil analysis of our 325i with 150.000km (93200 mls) on it, and this was on oil with 18.000km (12k + mls). The remarks that came back from Blackstone were very positiveand they saw no problem with me extending the interval.

So did you do due-diligence when picking up the car used and check for maintenance records? Or assuming you bought it new......do you keep records of your service? That's what the stamp book on the Service/warranty booklet is for, proof of maintenance service. Every dealer should have a stamp and will stamp it upon request.
What kinda oil are you running?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
cal r u high?

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Hyundai View Post
What kinda oil are you running?
See attached. I do mostly freeway driving though. Units are supposed to be in km but Blackstone reported it as miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motoröl.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	455225  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:11 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue boy View Post
cal r u high?
Cal is always high (or acts like it)!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM

he would say high and right

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue boy View Post
he would say high and right

That's right mon!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
he is from "fog City" California haha thats got to be funny Cal
Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 AM

anyway, back to the sludge thing
ur being jerked around by morons it appears
if the engine is that contaminated it will appear in the oil filter- that is the evidence, i dont rem seeing that mentioned in the report

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
As you are in Houston, I would suggest you call Hans at Texas German Autohaus on Edloe and take it in and have Hans give you his thoughts. I have been going to Hans for 20 years and trust him to shoot straight.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
What I don't understand is that is you were under warranty why didn't you take it to the dealer for the oil changes when the CBS told you too? Oil changes are free during the warranty period and then when you have an issue thye can't blame it on improper oil changes.

Yes, take it to Hans or Silvio's, they will treat you honestly.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i Driver View Post
What I don't understand is that is you were under warranty why didn't you take it to the dealer for the oil changes when the CBS told you too? Oil changes are free during the warranty period and then when you have an issue thye can't blame it on improper oil changes.

Yes, take it to Hans or Silvio's, they will treat you honestly.
Not to nit pick but I think it's important to distinguish between warranty and maintenance. On a new vehicle the two run at the same time making it mostly irrelevant. But I think it important to clarify it is the maintenance program that addresses the oil change, not the warranty.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Not to nit pick but I think it's important to distinguish between warranty and maintenance. On a new vehicle the two run at the same time making it mostly irrelevant. But I think it important to clarify it is the maintenance program that addresses the oil change, not the warranty.
The point he's making is that the warranty period and the free maintenance period on a new BMW run for the same time period, 4 years or 50k miles. The OP said his warranty would not cover because he did not have records confirming oil changes, so we're assuming that he's within the 4 year 50k mile warranty period. Given that, his oil changes should have been covered by free maintenance at the dealership. If he has done the free maintenance at the dealership, they could not have denied the warranty coverage as they did in his case.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
The point he's making is that the warranty period and the free maintenance period on a new BMW run for the same time period, 4 years or 50k miles. The OP said his warranty would not cover because he did not have records confirming oil changes, so we're assuming that he's within the 4 year 50k mile warranty period. Given that, his oil changes should have been covered by free maintenance at the dealership. If he has done the free maintenance at the dealership, they could not have denied the warranty coverage as they did in his case.

We have our view; Service Advisers have theirs. Here's my personal SA graduating from SA School:

Y'know, they all seem to be alike.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
Perhaps that's why I said:

"On a new vehicle the two run at the same time making it mostly irrelevant."

I fully understand what he's saying. But I think the distinction is important to point out because people routinely believe the warranty covers maintenance. Again on a new vehicle the distinction is largely irrelevant. However people buying extended warranties and maintenance plans need to know the difference.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93

BTW - where did the OP disappear to?

Last edited by BostonB6; 07-30-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:27 PM

BMW says it sludge but I don't agree

Hi all. It's been a while. My apologies. Thanks for the feedback. Well to answer a few questions. I got oil changes at BMW while I was still under the maintenance plan. Once it expired after 50K, I went outside.

I did take a friend of mine (who just so happens to be a mechanic) into the dealership with me to discuss the matter with the manager who is a real jerk. My friend asked to see the car. He says from what he saw they are full of crap and there were no shavings in the filler. From what I described, he feels they messed up the car or left something off or loose when they did the fuel sensor repair.

The warranty covers engine repairs but are refusing to honor it.

The bottom line is my car was not having engine problems before I took it in.

Could they be trying to take advantage of the fact that I'm a woman? I did some research and it seems like Momentum BMW's name has come up in these type of bad service complaints. In one, the jerk was mentioned that I also had problems with, Daniel Macfadden.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:32 PM

I'll know next time. Actually, I'm done with BMW. I just want my car repaired. The oil purchased was Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 PM

They are not honoring the warranty. I found record of an oil change done in February but they are not accepting it. It was done at a small service location who produced a receipt with a date of 2004. His printer will not print 2014. The service manager told me the receipt was "bogus."