Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
The Tire Eater

Ok, I know you guys have all warned me about this and it is not exactly news, but forgive me for venting.

The aggressive factory alignment on this car is just eating through tires. I had a set of the 3G Potenza all seasons. They are sort of meh tires but they have a decent ride and have been wearing ok. With somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 miles on them, I've not see a huge amount of wear. I check pretty regularly, carefully watch the pressure, and I get regular alignments and tire rotations (and, no, I do not want to debate that last one).

I brought it in for an alignment last week. I hadn't been seeing unusual wear and the dealer had also told me that the tires looked fine. As soon as they got the car up on the rack they called me to tell me the inside of the tires was down to 1/32 (in the worst spots).

At this point, I'm ditching all seasons altogether. Don't need them in Los Angeles and the car is going to eat through tires anyway. Might as well go with a stickier summer only car.

My E91 has 85,000 miles on it. Honestly though, I wonder how long I'll keep it if really will need tires every two years.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I tend to be very blunt at times so here it goes: You bought a 1600kg performance car that was designed for stable cruising at 160km/h and nimble handling on the tightest hairpins of the Alps. You expect to get 80.000km (50k miles) on a set of tires and similar operating costs like a garden variety Honda Accord or Ford Focus?

Your mileage is roughly what my mother's 325i sport package gets on summer tires so that is about right. If you want a summer tire with more tread, I may suggest the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 1? That's whats on the 325i right now and it has a lot of tread. This means good longevity for a summer tire and excellent aquaplaning resistance......I was very surprised how true it tracked during a summer downpour even as I exceeded 130km/h, and on wet (not raining, post-shower activity) pavement it drove true up to about 180km/h. The downside to deeper tread? A bit less precision at the limit and less absolute grip than the ContiSportContact 3s that proceeded them.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
hehehe buy M car and you will be lucky if you get 15k miles on them... than you will be really happy from 30k
Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328i
here is the solution:

get most of the camber dialed out with your next allignment and minimize toe-in on all four corners. then put on some General tires off a Ford Taurus rental car.

then... enjoy!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
At 85k miles, you should look into replacing bushings and ball joints.

As these parts wear, especially bushings, they will allow more flex and give and this will allow the alignment specs to change dynamically as you load the suspension. So while your car may align 100% within factory spec, as soon as you move the car, that spec can change.

Also inner tire wear is affected, mainly, by 2 things....camber and toe. Negative camber forces the tire to ride of the inside of the tire. If you accelerate or brake aggressively, too much negative camber will eat through the inner tire. Normal driving won't eat through them as much. However, the toe angle also plays a role in accelerated inner tire wear. When toe is set too far in or out, the tire is basically being dragged down the road. In combination with negative camber (all BMWs have rear, negative camber from the factory), this is what eats through the inner tires.

You can have the camber and toe adjusted, but this affects handling performance. Too little negative camber causes loss of grip when cornering hard. Too much toe in or out can cause the car to feel squirrelly, or want to wander. Bringing the toe angle on the rear closer to zero will reduce the amount of inner tire wear dramatically, but you don't want to zero it out completely. When you accelerate, tires want to move outward.....meaning the toe angle will want to go out. So if you set toe to zero, on hard acceleration, the toe will move out and the car will want to pull in opposite direction, away from the sides of the car. It's the exact opposite affect when braking. Tires want to lean inward and toe moves in.

If your toe arm bushings are worn, you will have bad inner tire wear since the toe will keep moving too far in and out of spec. Trailing arms have ball joints and while they won't flex as much, they will make noise when they go bad and there will be play in the ball joint. The trailing arm helps keeps the wheels parallel to the chassis so this also affects toe.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 07-29-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Get a Ford Fiesta and all your problems will be solved!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I am just impressed you got 30k out of tires - I average like 15-20k max on a set and my X5 with 20's on it was even worse!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Ok, I know you guys have all warned me about this and it is not exactly news, but forgive me for venting.

The aggressive factory alignment on this car is just eating through tires. I had a set of the 3G Potenza all seasons. They are sort of meh tires but they have a decent ride and have been wearing ok. With somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 miles on them, I've not see a huge amount of wear. I check pretty regularly, carefully watch the pressure, and I get regular alignments and tire rotations (and, no, I do not want to debate that last one).

I brought it in for an alignment last week. I hadn't been seeing unusual wear and the dealer had also told me that the tires looked fine. As soon as they got the car up on the rack they called me to tell me the inside of the tires was down to 1/32 (in the worst spots).

At this point, I'm ditching all seasons altogether. Don't need them in Los Angeles and the car is going to eat through tires anyway. Might as well go with a stickier summer only car.

My E91 has 85,000 miles on it. Honestly though, I wonder how long I'll keep it if really will need tires every two years.

Rightous jest! -1.5 rear camber's sho gonna wear inside tread. But same or more camber up front, not at all like that!

Every 2 years? You are at the low end of wear, and if that's important, you are driving the wrong car. I buy at least one tire, usually two, every year. But, I confess that I drive somewhat in excess of posted limits from time to time, and take corners wayyy hot.

How could I not? I drive a BMW.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 07-29-2014 at 09:45 AM.