Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
Unhappy 2in pothole

I hit a 2 in deep pothole and the car slammed, sounded like it would have bottomed out. 8ooo miles on it and speed around 65mph on Interstate.
After this I got a slight vibration at speeds from low to around 70.
Checked wheel for balance today and it is ok but they claimed it seemed a little out of round.
Wheels are 19 in low profile with the MSport package on 335vert 2013

Surprised over the hardness in suspension and tire and suspect it just is normal for it to actually be intolerant of road problems but can the wheel become slightly deformed without any visible signs or is it possible it is the tire even if it should be strong.
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Get your dealer to examine the car - could be a bent wheel and a damaged tire. But only a close inspection will tell for sure. On the other hand it may have only tossed a wheel weight (they're glued on now but can get knocked off) and will smooth out with a rebalance. With so few miles check to see if the brand of tire on your car is covered under the tire manufacturer's road hazard warranty!! Some are - don't trust the word of an uninformed service adviser!!

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sport Pkg
Yes. Rims can be bent in the slightest of ways that are felt as you described. I have 4 examples acting as end tables by my couch! (though it took about 8 years to acquire them)

It's not that difficult to detect on a wheel balance machine. And if it can't be balanced out, there is the option of having them straightened (don't know the cost; was just easier/ cheaper to buy good used rims).

19's w/ low pro tires surprises me there isn't worse damage. You got lucky!

2011 335xi Sport Package, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, 18" Beyern Staggered, Glossy Black Grill

Yes, I ran the Terminator 3 girl over to get this paint job!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bimmers View Post
I hit a 2 in deep pothole and the car slammed, sounded like it would have bottomed out. 8ooo miles on it and speed around 65mph on Interstate.
Checked wheel for balance today and it is ok but they claimed it seemed a little out of round.

Surprised over the hardness in suspension and tire and suspect it just is normal for it to actually be intolerant of road problems but can the wheel become slightly deformed without any visible signs or is it possible it is the tire even if it should be strong.

Enquiring minds agree: Ain't much 'tween rim & road with your setup.....

Dude, you got rubber bands for tires and alloy rims just beggin to get bent! Have that wheel repaired ASAP and look for a tire bubble where it hit.

Then, when it's all done and you're havin' a beer, Google Pothole Explosion - all is revealed. Prediction: The letters F, S, and D will have great meaning for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Just FYI, a wheel and tire combo can balance 100% on a balancing machine, but it can still cause vibrations from bends.

You most likely have a bent wheel

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 PM

I had the wheel checked at tire place and that is where the balance was ok but it seemed like a little out of round. Don't know if it sls tire or wheel though, if that would be the case.
It seems like I would have a ever so slight shudder when accelerating from 75 up as well. Almost like torque converter but not sure, will follow this as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 08 BMW 335i cabrio
Quote:

Do you have the style 230 wheels? If so let's hope you didn't crack one. I hit a deep pot hole on a late night hunger binge while going to Waffle House and it cracked my wheel. Long story short.. If your tire pressure light comes on in a few days then have that wheel checked for cracks. If it is cracked DON'T repair it, just buy a new one!! I learned the hard way... I ended up spending about $950 after it was all said and done... That included ($150 to weld the wheel, $490 for a new tire b/c the RFT was no good after driving with low tire pressure, $230 for a used wheel off ebay b/c the repaired wheel cracked twice in the same spot after being repaired 2 times and $75 to get the new wheel painted black)... Learn from my mistake!

Currently own: [U]08 BMW 335i vert, 07 Mazda CX-7 GT (DD)
Previously owned: 03 Infiniti G35 sedan, 00 Mercedes-Benz S-430, 97 Volvo 960, 01 BMW 330i, 97 Lexus ES300, 09 Honda Civic LX, 04 BMW 325CIc, 00 BMW 323i, 97 Honda Accord EX Coupe, 99 Ford Expedition EB, 05 Mazda 6i, 94 BMW 325i, 98 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS6 "Collectors Edition", & 87 Honda Prelude Si (First car)

Last edited by henry_desmond; 07-30-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Reregistered User

Quote:
I had the wheel checked at tire place and that is where the balance was ok but it seemed like a little out of round. Don't know if it sls tire or wheel though, if that would be the case.
It seems like I would have a ever so slight shudder when accelerating from 75 up as well. Almost like torque converter but not sure, will follow this as well.

Alloys can be repaired if bent, but usually not if cracked. Judging above, that vendor is not the right place to repair the wheel.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 PM

Ok,
Verdict from dealer all wheels out of round, after hitting one 2in dent not even hole with right front. Hard to believe its true. Wanted to swap all for 2,200 bucks.
I am getting one new wheel and will repair old one and keep as spare.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sport Pkg
Quote:
Ok,
Verdict from dealer all wheels out of round, after hitting one 2in dent not even hole with right front. Hard to believe its true. Wanted to swap all for 2,200 bucks.
I am getting one new wheel and will repair old one and keep as spare.
How much!!!

Look in the classified ads here on the 'Fest and you can probably get all 4 wheels w/ tires for under $1000.

2011 335xi Sport Package, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, 18" Beyern Staggered, Glossy Black Grill

Yes, I ran the Terminator 3 girl over to get this paint job!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 PM

Ok had them replace the right front rim and check alignment. Did remove the vibes and the alignment was pretty much right.
So now I have one slightly out of round, maybe. Need to check if I can get it fixed and keep as spare, which I don't have.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Ok had them replace the right front rim and check alignment. Did remove the vibes and the alignment was pretty much right.
So now I have one slightly out of round, maybe. Need to check if I can get it fixed and keep as spare, which I don't have.

Good. Excellent!

But you're not done yet.

FSD