Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X4 F26 (On Sale 2014)

X4 F26 (On Sale 2014)
BMW has released the X4 Concept. The X4 is a baby X6 and will share the platform from the F25 X3. Engine and options will also come over from the X3. Stay tuned for more BMW X4 details as we get them.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: SQ5,MacanS,X3 3.5, X4 3.5
Goodbye Macan S and Hello X4 !!! ( No Comparison the BMW kills it )

Guys

I am a car nut and I buy way to many SUV's but I cant get enough.. Just so you know where I am coming from lets just talk about the Last few which are most relevant.

2013 Q5 3.0
2014 Q5 3.0 Sport Package
2014 SQ5 Estoril Blue 21s loaded.

I had my Audi run and finally got bored and decided to buy a 2015 Macan S which I will attach some pics as well. My Dealer had a white launch car that was pretty darn loaded and I couldn't wait to get back into Porsche. I have owned over 140 cars and I have owned Porsches but never kept them long and was thinking this could be the one. Well I was so wrong. Coming from the Sq5 which by the way is 100X more fun than the Macan in almost every way. The Sq5 was Nimble and sounded like a race car and the seats were awesome and comfy and all the controls were nice and solid and radio was awesome. The Porsche did nothing right as far as I was concerned. It felt 1000 pounds over weight. It steered not even close to an SQ5 and how about the steering wheel ? The Porsche Steering wheel is 2-3" larger than any sports car/Suv I have ever owned. I felt like I was commanding a ship. The seat bottom were Rock hard and caused your butt to hurt after 15 mins. The radio and yes mine had the bose system was horrid. The Buttons looked good but plasticky.. Things like the turn signal stalk was horrid. When you pushed it down or up the click to turn it on felt my my dads 75 ford. Long stroke and a big click. BMW is solid and quiet in this regard. The end all for me on the Porsche is they are having a complete failure of the Alarm in the car. All hours of the night the Factory alarm would go off by itself. They couldnt fix it and had me go through a series of things to finally after weeks of disgust they were able to disable the alarm which they say they will have a fix maybe by years end..Okay for 65K I am not waiting for fixes. The market for the Macan is huge so I put it on ebay and had dozens of takers in days and it was gone.

I almost went back to Audi and bought a 2015 SQ5 and stopped by the BMW dealer and they had just received the X4. Lets keep in mind I owned many BMW's in the past and loved loved loved my 2009 and 2010 X5 5.0.. I like different and the X6 was different which is probably why I like the X4 so much.

Okay so 2 weeks ago I go in to my local BMW dealer in NJ and I take out their Red X4 for a nice long ride. Right off the bat I realized how much I missed the creature comforts of their I Drive and Great Screen and adjustable seat control and many other features and things I didnt have on the past few cars. More important when I got on the highway and got on it , It felt like it has 400HP.. Serious acceleration and handling like what I remember on my old M3's and such. Complete fun and I drove back to the dealer knowing I wanted one. Then to find out thank god they had an allocation for one 3.5 whew but it would be a few weeks. I built a White one with 20's and pretty darn loaded and its hopefully going into production this week.

I spent a few days in and out of the dealer picking options and things and they had taken in a X3 3.5 2015 pretty loaded with 2900 miles on it, some guy bought it and wanted an X5 and he lost 16K in 4 weeks and I grabbed that X3 and replaced our little winter X1 2.8 with it.. I figured the X3 will hold me over till the X4 comes in and we need an all season SUV anyhow for my girlfriend to commute to work with. So for the last 2 weeks I have been driving this 2015 X3 3.5 and omg I am so in love with BMW again I cant believe it. This car has the LED lights which then made me go back to the dealer last week and add them to my X4 because after driving LED's its actually hard to go back to Xenons..

Ok so now I wait patiently for my X4 which should be soon and I am genuinely excited about this car. I was on the Audi Forums when I had Audi's and of course on the Macan forums when i had the Macan but I am very happy to be back on the BMW forum where i Feel at home.

The Macan although some think is beautiful is not really that nice looking. The back has the classic porsche dumpy butt and the front is okay but the worst thing for me is the overall fit and finish and functionality. Its all just okay but none of it is great. The radio was probably the biggest disappointment and for the money they charge for bose it was horrid. I am in the audio business so Sound for me is crucial. The Audi's B&O was awesome and so far I am enjoying the X3's sound system and cant wait to hear the Harmon system in the X4.

I will keep you guys posted and will have lots of photos when my X4 arrives soon I hope

Thanks
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	por1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	455293   Click image for larger version

Name:	por2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	455294   Click image for larger version

Name:	por4.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	455295   Click image for larger version

Name:	por5.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	455296  

Last edited by Theatermax; 07-28-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2014, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: -
Tremendous amount of disposable income... is all I can think of. Very jelly.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Very interesting perspective and I am surprised by your conclusions. I have been intrigued by the new Macan, thinking maybe this is the 'perfect" everyday Porsche - lots of performance and utility in a nimble size. Your comments about design, fit and finish, and the Bose audio system are a real surprise. I occasionally go back to my local Porsche store to kick tires, but the total BMW experience - including sales and excellent service - keeps me in the BMW fold. Love to hear your follow up comments once you have driven your X4 for awhile.

Thanks for the information!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X4 35i (soon)
Craig,

You are totally right on the turn signal! I thought hard about buying a Macan S as well but went to the X4 because of the much nicer interior. I'm looking forward to my X4 arriving in October!

r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax View Post
Guys

I am a car nut and I buy way to many SUV's but I cant get enough.. Just so you know where I am coming from lets just talk about the Last few which are most relevant.

2013 Q5 3.0
2014 Q5 3.0 Sport Package
2014 SQ5 Estoril Blue 21s loaded.

I had my Audi run and finally got bored and decided to buy a 2015 Macan S which I will attach some pics as well. My Dealer had a white launch car that was pretty darn loaded and I couldn't wait to get back into Porsche. I have owned over 140 cars and I have owned Porsches but never kept them long and was thinking this could be the one. Well I was so wrong. Coming from the Sq5 which by the way is 100X more fun than the Macan in almost every way. The Sq5 was Nimble and sounded like a race car and the seats were awesome and comfy and all the controls were nice and solid and radio was awesome. The Porsche did nothing right as far as I was concerned. It felt 1000 pounds over weight. It steered not even close to an SQ5 and how about the steering wheel ? The Porsche Steering wheel is 2-3" larger than any sports car/Suv I have ever owned. I felt like I was commanding a ship. The seat bottom were Rock hard and caused your butt to hurt after 15 mins. The radio and yes mine had the bose system was horrid. The Buttons looked good but plasticky.. Things like the turn signal stalk was horrid. When you pushed it down or up the click to turn it on felt my my dads 75 ford. Long stroke and a big click. BMW is solid and quiet in this regard. The end all for me on the Porsche is they are having a complete failure of the Alarm in the car. All hours of the night the Factory alarm would go off by itself. They couldnt fix it and had me go through a series of things to finally after weeks of disgust they were able to disable the alarm which they say they will have a fix maybe by years end..Okay for 65K I am not waiting for fixes. The market for the Macan is huge so I put it on ebay and had dozens of takers in days and it was gone.

I almost went back to Audi and bought a 2015 SQ5 and stopped by the BMW dealer and they had just received the X4. Lets keep in mind I owned many BMW's in the past and loved loved loved my 2009 and 2010 X5 5.0.. I like different and the X6 was different which is probably why I like the X4 so much.

Okay so 2 weeks ago I go in to my local BMW dealer in NJ and I take out their Red X4 for a nice long ride. Right off the bat I realized how much I missed the creature comforts of their I Drive and Great Screen and adjustable seat control and many other features and things I didnt have on the past few cars. More important when I got on the highway and got on it , It felt like it has 400HP.. Serious acceleration and handling like what I remember on my old M3's and such. Complete fun and I drove back to the dealer knowing I wanted one. Then to find out thank god they had an allocation for one 3.5 whew but it would be a few weeks. I built a White one with 20's and pretty darn loaded and its hopefully going into production this week.

I spent a few days in and out of the dealer picking options and things and they had taken in a X3 3.5 2015 pretty loaded with 2900 miles on it, some guy bought it and wanted an X5 and he lost 16K in 4 weeks and I grabbed that X3 and replaced our little winter X1 2.8 with it.. I figured the X3 will hold me over till the X4 comes in and we need an all season SUV anyhow for my girlfriend to commute to work with. So for the last 2 weeks I have been driving this 2015 X3 3.5 and omg I am so in love with BMW again I cant believe it. This car has the LED lights which then made me go back to the dealer last week and add them to my X4 because after driving LED's its actually hard to go back to Xenons..

Ok so now I wait patiently for my X4 which should be soon and I am genuinely excited about this car. I was on the Audi Forums when I had Audi's and of course on the Macan forums when i had the Macan but I am very happy to be back on the BMW forum where i Feel at home.

The Macan although some think is beautiful is not really that nice looking. The back has the classic porsche dumpy butt and the front is okay but the worst thing for me is the overall fit and finish and functionality. Its all just okay but none of it is great. The radio was probably the biggest disappointment and for the money they charge for bose it was horrid. I am in the audio business so Sound for me is crucial. The Audi's B&O was awesome and so far I am enjoying the X3's sound system and cant wait to hear the Harmon system in the X4.

I will keep you guys posted and will have lots of photos when my X4 arrives soon I hope

Thanks
Craig
Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwktx View Post
Craig,

You are totally right on the turn signal! I thought hard about buying a Macan S as well but went to the X4 because of the much nicer interior. I'm looking forward to my X4 arriving in October!

r
Did you drive a Macan S?, if so, what is your opinion?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X4 35i (soon)
Capobranco,

Yes, I took a Macan S on a few test drives. From a standing start, both cars feel the same to me: some reports say that the porsche may be slightly-faster 0-60, but my driving ability is not at a level that I could make use of an extra 0.1 or 0.2 seconds. Mid-range acceleration in the Porsche felt better to me and it seems to corner better, though I didn't get to push the X4 quite as much. Overall, I feel that the Macan has an edge on performance, but I didn't feel like it's enough of a difference to make up for its shortcomings. Note I didn't get to drive an SQ5, so I can't comment on that difference.

The selling points for me on the X4 came down to the things that I will see/use every day.

- The interior of the X4 is much nicer and more stylish. The Macan has a million buttons in a sometimes-confusing layout and many of them feel surprisingly-cheap relative to the X4 touchpoints. The turn signal is a great example, as is the GPS interface.

- The difference in fuel economy between the two is significant in my mind (15%). I'll feel the mid-range acceleration every once in a while, but feel the fuel economy difference every time I'm filling the tank.

- The standard BMW benefits of included maintenance, BMW Assist, etc.

- The X4 is that much newer. There are a couple of Macans on the road here already, where I will have one of the very first X4s in the whole area.

I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Did you drive a Macan S?, if so, what is your opinion?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Thank you - I have been very interested in the Macan but have not been able to test drive it.
In general, I find it especially interesting that both you and Theatermax picked the BMW over the Porsche after driving both and both of you agree that the BMW has a nicer, more functional interior. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E84
Well, I picked the Macan over X4. PDK in Macan is unbeatable. Better handling, smoother ride and better looking IMO.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc1 View Post
Well, I picked the Macan over X4. PDK in Macan is unbeatable. Better handling, smoother ride and better looking IMO.
David

I thought the same of PDK and yes it shifts quick but BMW has completely removed the double clutch concept from their cars in favor of a super high speed auto shifting trans from what i hear. The PDK is nice but technology thats on its way out..

Look closely and play with the things I mentioned like the Radio and its inability to sound good regardless of what the source is.. IE. Sat/Bluetooth etc..

The Steering wheel is huge and feels like a city bus size wheel. It has to be 1-2 " larger than anything from BMW..

Play with the buttons, they are plasticky and just painted silver. Not very nice for 65K..

How about the Alarm system and the fact it has still not been fixed. It goes off at all hours of the night until you turn it off completely if you can figure out how to do this.

The Seats are awful.. The bottom Cushion apparently because the circulating air system is plastic and hard and under the cushion makes the bottom cushion very hard..

The Air Conditioned seats are useless and hard. The air flow is nonexistent and brings neither cooling or heating to the seat.

This is classic Porsche Nonsense and they wont step up and make it a better quality overall. Wait till you see the fit and finish of the Hook and how it sits on the stoppers. Apparently all Macan hoods are in constant need of adjustments because the hood moves too much because of their design.

Looks ? Well the macan is okay but the rear is boring and dumpy..

Well I hope you enjoy it and believe me the resale is great. I had multiple dealers try to buy it back from me because the overseas demand is high and the production is low. Worst case if you hate it you can dump it quick and grab an X4
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Well I know Consumer Reports is very much not loved on here, but they just raved about the Macan. I read the review through a link on Yahoo. They emphasized that it is pricey, comparing it to X5 and Q5. But they loved the handling and power. They did note some throttle lag, tho. So when/if CR reviews X4 we'll see if they compare it favorably to the Macan or not.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: E84
All I can say is that this will be my first Porsche after 8 BMWs. 8 speed ZF is nice but it's no PDK. You just can't replicate the feel of direct clutch. PDK in sport mode is lightning quick and very sporty. All Porsches except for Cayenne uses PDK. BMW M235, M3/4, M5 and M6 uses DSG. I love BMWs and will almost always have one BMW in the garage but I really like the Macan. The ride and handling seems much better. Perhaps it's the non-runflats? I don't know. But if felt good. I've either owned or driven multiple X1, X3 and X5 and decided Macan is it. Cayenne wouldn't have been so convincing. Perhaps after a few months of owenship I will notice the things you did and sell it. I know that with the waiting list of 6 month to a year, I will have no trouble selling it. But I doubt I will come back to a X3/X4. Will probably try the Range Rover Sport.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: German
I think I got a headache trying to read OP's post.

Whereas the Macan has some serious road presence and oozes class, the X4 is so damn hideous. I'm not sure I could live with such an ugly car.. Soon enough, BMW dealers will be discounting these significantly to get rid of them. I think BMW has the next 5GT on their hands and it is the trollish-ly ugly X4.

Upside is that the X4 is significantly cheaper! (but of course, it does feel like a cheaper car)

Last edited by AutoUnion; 08-01-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I think I got a headache trying to read OP's post.

Whereas the Macan has some serious road presence and oozes class, the X4 is so damn hideous. I'm not sure I could live with such an ugly car.. Soon enough, BMW dealers will be discounting these significantly to get rid of them. I think BMW has the next 5GT on their hands and it is the trollish-ly ugly X4.

Upside is that the X4 is significantly cheaper! (but of course, it does feel like a cheaper car)
Autounion

Its funny - You think the Macan is good looking.. I was silly enough to convince myself it was good looking also and every day when I would look out the window I tried to figure out what the heck they had done with the back of the car. Actually made me feel miserable knowing the back was so ugly..

This is clearly a case of I like blondes and you like brunettes.. Shapes and designs are subjective and no one can say something is ugly as some people see it as beautiful..

I was an X6 lover from day one as I love a different body style and dont want my cars to look like everyone elses. You I am guessing hate the X6 as you would hate the X4 as they both are almost exactly the same shape. The X6 was a low volume car for BMW as the X4 will be and for me and lots of X4/X6 people we want this exclusivity. We also want quality and details and I can tell you after owning a Macan S for 3 weeks it has none of that. When you feel its bus sized steering wheel and sluggish so called 350Hp you start to wonder how they can sell cars but people love their Porsches. When you take a guy like myself who has owned alot of cars and try and convince me that the porsche is a great car , it doesnt work. I am a very detailed oriented guy and I like toys and the Porsche just doesnt implement them well at all.

Did I mention that touch screen radio is awful and the overall inability to control things from one common place like Idrive or Auid's MMI is ridiculous. Audi, BMW, Acura etc all have developed a Single Knob control that seriously helps in the experience of ease and control of the cars functions. Porsche decried to use 200 buttons made of plastic that are placed randomly around the cockpit..

Craig
Old 08-01-2014, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
And this is attractive to you?

Old 08-01-2014, 05:26 PM

Now look at this picture.. Its all about color and camera angles..

In white with MSport I think its way better looking than macan..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-X4-Porsche-Macan-1200x800-9747fa3f45304f6b.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	455979  

Last edited by Theatermax; 08-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Several posts pruned from the thread.

Let's keep Bimmerfest fun and friendly for everyone.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:01 PM

Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax View Post
Now look at this picture.. Its all about color and camera angles..

In white with MSport I think its way better looking than macan..

I was considering the X4, but I can't get past it is a regurgitated X3. Thanks for posting these photos. The Macan actually looks better.

Don't you think tastes are very personal and individual? Here I was thinking, who actually would like the X4? And I found you....

In any case, thanks again.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to V_Rod_Muscle
Mein Auto:
Any BMW with single sided exhaust looks like a piece of crap, i really wonder what BMW engineers that nk when they decide to put just one sided exhaust that looks very very very ugly

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto:
Not even M Steering wheel on M Sport package, this is bull ****, a complete piece of trash

Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Xdrive
Strange to discuss personal preferences. Some will like the Porsche and some will like the BMW.

I own an X6 and have always loved the look of them. A bunch has to do with them looking different than most all other SUV/CUVs out there.

I love the way the X6 and X4 look, but I don't see the point in trying to convince anyone else to like them as well.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Rod_Muscle View Post
Any BMW with single sided exhaust looks like a piece of crap, i really wonder what BMW engineers that nk when they decide to put just one sided exhaust that looks very very very ugly

Haha. I didn't even notice that. I was caught up with the rest of the car and how ugly it is
Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto:
The best car for op is previous generation Acura TL, if you really want to stand out on the road