Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Volvo S60
BMW Certification

Hello everyone, my name is Luke Andersen and I am from Santa Barbara, California. I am currently going into my senior year in high school at San Marcos High. I have been in our advanced college level auto class for the past two years and will be in it again this year. This class gives me city college automotive class credit. With this class I was able to get at first a 80 hour paid internship at a local BMW, Volvo, Saab Shop that turned into a summer job I have been working full time there since the beginning of June and will continue until school starts at the end of the month. In my class at school we have previously made an all electric Porsche 914 and now I am heading our project which is making an electric motorcycle. Anyway to get to my real question I am very, very interested in becoming a BMW certified master tech more and more everyday especially because of work and a guy a work with is a BMW certified tech who first went to UTI then worked at the dealer for 10 years and left to work at his dad's shop in town which is where I currently work. We have the BMW tools such as the GT1 and ISTA which I have been learning. I am wondering what the best way to become a BMW Tech is for working at the dealer and what not. I can take the classes at SBCC and get my certificate which will also allow me to get ASE certified or go to a trade school such as UTI. But I am wondering what the best route is to get certification done the quickest and make the most money. I really appreciate anyone's input. I would very much prefer to just get my certification through Santa Barbara City College and go through the Step program after that because of the huge cost savings (living at home, being able to work, etc) also not to mention I've heard uti really is not that great for the price you pay. So how feasible is doing it this way?
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 AM

I have posted this in a couple different sections on the forum to try and get the best amount of responses because I plan to start taking some of the classes as dual enrollment this school year because I have very few classes in high school.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3
Does the guy you work with who's a certified BMW tech not have some advice? I'd be happy to chime in, but like many here I just own and drive a BMW, and have little connection to the BMW mechanic's world.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc M3 View Post
Does the guy you work with who's a certified BMW tech not have some advice? I'd be happy to chime in, but like many here I just own and drive a BMW, and have little connection to the BMW mechanic's world.
The guy I work with went to uti and then got a job at the dealer, he worked there for 10 yeard and did not do the step program. He went to school 20+ years ago. So he doesnt know much about the step program or going through city college to get there.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
I could be wrong, but I believe part of the master mechanic certification is the number of years of work experience in the field. I can't see how a novice mechanic can become a master without a number of years under their belt.

I would just concentrate on geting all of your ASE certifications for now, get hired as an Auto Tech B, advance to A, take as many BMW factory training classes as you have access to, and then eventually move toward achieving master status somewhere down the road. Your ambition is admirable, but one step at a time, Grasshopper.

Last edited by Jay Arras; 08-02-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe part of the master mechanic certification is the number of years of work experience in the field. I can't see how a novice mechanic can become a master without a number of years under their belt.

I would just concentrate on geting all of your ASE certifications for now, get hired as an Auto Tech B, advance to A, take as many BMW factory training classes as you have access to, and then eventually move toward achieving master status somewhere down the road. Your ambition is admirable, but one step at a time, Grasshopper.
To be in the BMW step program all you need is a degree from a natef approved school like uti or sbcc (and a lot of hard work). It does not require having ase certification if im not mistaking because you are getting bmw certified not ase certified. The step program also takes 2 years off the five to become a bmw master tech. However I do plan on getting my ase certfication anyway because by the time graduate from the certificate program at sbcc I will have been working at a shop for at least 2 years which is the ase requirement.