Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004-X3
Post Synching Garage Door Opener

Just took delivery of our new X1 x28i and cannot, for the life of me, synch the garage door opener. Anyone out there know the correct formula? The garage door opener is a Craftsman model with the rolling codes.

I am also attaching a few pictures taken with my cell phone...they're not great but hopefully you'll get the idea.

2015 X1 28i with Xdrive; Midnight Blue Metallic, Ultimate & CW Packages.

Enjoy and thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_190305.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	456152   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_190347.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	456153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_190359.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	456154   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_190459.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	456156  
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
I had a very difficult time as well. After ensuring that all was cleared out of the buttons on the vehicle. (Push both outside buttons simultaneously until they flash) Have someone push the learn button on the garage door opener. (I tried to do it alone but it didn't work) Then push and hold which ever button on your car you want to save it in. It should begin to flash quickly when it is done. Now comes the part I had problems with. After you see the quick flashing, press and release the button on your mirror 3 times slowly. After that mine began to work.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: X1
I had a similar experience and had success after the garage door opener was touching the rear view mirror
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Yup, just press the "learn" button (it's orange on my opener -- just get on your ladder, pull off the side light cover and there it is). You then have 30 seconds to press and hold the button on your mirror. As stated above, be prepared to press and hold for up to three times. The manual instructions were clear to me.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:44 PM

Smile

Thanks for all the input. I ended up calling the dealer's 'BMW Expert' and was given the following instructions:
#1 - Drive the car away from the garage door (at least a block away from the house). Be sure to take your original handheld remote with you.
#2 - Find a location and pull to the curb; put the vehicle in park.
#3 - Clear the mirror settings by pressing #'s 1 and 3 on the mirror. Once the indicator light flashes you know your have cleared the mirror settings.
#4 - Hold your handheld remote next to the mirror while pressing the button you want to synch the garage door to and when it flashes (fast) you can return to the garage door to complete the process.
#5 - Drive back to the garage door and open it with the handheld remote.
#6 - Go to the opener and press the synch button (I held it while counting to three, any longer and you may clear all of your other remotes); go to the car and press the button you want to synch the garage door to. Once this flashes continuously release the button and repeat by pressing your mirror button until your garage door closes, each time holding the button to the count of three. I only had to do this one additional time before the mirror button recognized the garage door and began to close.

Keep in mind that the vehicle ignition must be 'on' throughout this process in order to complete the programming.

This procedure actually worked for me.

My dealer's 'BMW Expert' told me that the synching of garage door openers is very difficult and had even made 'house calls' to synch the openers to the vehicles for some of his customers. Fortunately for me I was finally able to synch the opener to the vehicle.

I hope this helps others.

Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 xdrive X1 2.8
BMW Genius!

Check out the garage door opener video on this app. Worked fast and easy for mine.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Sorry...but the link is not attached.

Last edited by BaxTax; 08-08-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 xdrive X1 2.8
download the app

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaxTax View Post
If you have a smart phone or tablet, from itunes download the BMW Genius app. It has a bunch of tutorial videos for operation on various functions of the X1, one of which is the garage door opener setup. You tell the app what vehicle you want and it has a bunch of information for that vehicle. Once you have the app open - go to "features" then "vehicle settings" and the second option is garage door opener. Great video, pretty good app for other things too if you are new to the car.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 PM

Thanks...I'll give it a look.

Part of the problem is my 2011 x3 is a cake walk compared to the 2015 x1. While trying to synch the x1 I had actually cleared on my remotes for the cars as well as my hand held remotes. I had to re-synch all the openers and the x1 just wouldn't cooperate until I followed the instructions above. All the others connected without any difficulties at all. Go figure.

I appreciate your information and will definately check it out.