Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
DME reprogramming HELP! PLZ

Hello,

I have a 2002 745Li. I had DSC Malfunction, failsafe, transmission fault, and a couple of other codes. Iwent crazy looking for the short. I made it to the DME and it was kind of hot. I pulled battery and unplugged DME. Plugged it all back and it worked fine. After a while it does get hot again. I have downloaded Tool32, INPA, NCSexpert, WINKFP and I want to reprogram a used DME from a donor car. Can anyone please help me with the reprogramming please? Thanks

JD
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Programming the DME is a serious undertaking. The DME has a cooling fan under it, to keep it cool. If you have the BMW tools, you should find a code, indicating a problem. I would try checking the fan first.

Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Oh no the car is not over heating. The actual DME itself gets hot. I wanted to get a used one and reprogram it.

JD
Old 08-04-2014, 01:15 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeduranac View Post
Oh no the car is not over heating. The actual DME itself gets hot. I wanted to get a used one and reprogram it.

JD

There is a cooling fan under the DME ,
That is what he is talking about

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 08-04-2014, 03:28 PM

Ooooo! Ok lol. My bad may bad. I will look into it. Also I wanted to pass along some information to the people here about what I have found about these cars. I do programming on firmware and all of these modules have the same characteristics as all the other firmware devices I have worked with. First if you get a module that is not responding you can wipe the ram on it. This can be done with some aluminum foil balled up and inserted into the main connector of the module where power is applied. I have woke up quite a bit of modules doing this. Also I have tested many modules that where shorted out and come to surprise that the screws on the mudlues were torqued down to strong .... shorting the module. The modules that I have seen this on are the module-dme-zgm-the voc modules.

JD
Old 08-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Hello,

As far as I am aware the DME has to be in a blank or 'Virgin' state to be accepted by the car and pair with the CAS. I dont believe the DME can be entirely wiped to this state whilst in the vehicle, I believe part of the FLASH memory is locked out and cannot be modified via the OBD interface once its taken on the vehicle VIN and the rolling code table key or ISN from the CAS. I have also seen the immobiliser data stored on an I2C EEPROM, in which case swapping them over should work. Unfortunately I don't know which applies in this case.

When I had an E46 the M54 DME's could be erased to a virgin state using an external programmer that connects to pads on the DME card and can put the processor into a boot mode and read/write the entire FLASH memory. As I understand you simply erased the FLASH memory and re-programmed it with a 'virgin' FLASH dump, the DME could then be fitted back to the car, the DME would automatically request the ISN number from the CAS and they would pair themselves.

With WinKFP all you will be able to do is update the application software, i.e. the software that actually runs the engine, the immobiliser will remain unchanged.

Have you popped one of these DME's open and had a look inside? Im assuming its pretty similar to the M54 ones being a similar age, they used a Siemens C167 processor and about 4MB of FLASH from memory.

There are people out there that can help, search ECU cloning, the later ECU's have complex methods of stopping people doing this, the later ones use one time programmable memory inside the processor for the immobiliser making cloning or re-using very difficult.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-05-2014 at 03:47 PM.