Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: E90 320i
Advice needed for new tyres

Hello friends,

So the time of tyre change for me has arrived, as the current tyres are worn out. There is still some treads left to them but I have noticed some blemishes on them like bumps on the sidewall and cracks. I took my car to a tyre shop and they confirmed the same.

I have noticed too much road noise/rumble lately from the rear side, and it has only exacerbated in the last 2 months. It starts at 60KPH and beyond 120KPH becomes unbearable. I know this road noise can have more to it than just the tyres; like wheel bearing or maybe differential. But for now Im going for changing the tyres and hope if that helps.

I have Michelin Primacy HP 225/50 R16 for now. I will stick with the same specs (and no RFTs) but need your help in getting the right tyre for me. Im looking for three things as key factors in deciding; ride quality/road grip, comfort and road noise.
Here is my short-list. Please drop your recommendations and help me decide. I live in Dubai so the weather here is mostly hot and humid with the temperature ranging from 35C-48C in summer which seems to prevail throughout the year it feels
Michelin Primacy 3
Pirelli Cinturato P7
Continental Premium Contact 5
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

I have read good reviews about Goodyear F1 but I feel as it is a performance tyre it might tend to produce more road noise. Correct me if Im wrong. I am getting a good deal with Michelin Primacy 3 and it has also punched some good all-round scores.

Btw I have a BMW E90 320i.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I currently have the Goodyear Eagle F1 you mentioned. It is a good tire and with deep tread, so it will last relatively long and have good aquaplaning resistance. As it wears, the road noise can be an issue depending on the road surface. I am not sure about Dubai; I notice on very coarse or older pavement in some of states surrounding me (they don't maintain their roads well), that the road noise is a bit higher. Luckily normally this is not an issue for me in the areas I drive in most frequently.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 AM

Thanks AzNMpower32 for your comments.

One thing important that I forgot to ask earlier. Is it safe to put 225/55 R16 tyre in my car if the recommendations on the door side plaque says 225/50 R16?
Does this 5% increase in the height makes any difference? Like any unnecessary load on the suspension or anything
Old 08-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by atikan View Post
Thanks AzNMpower32 for your comments.

One thing important that I forgot to ask earlier. Is it safe to put 225/55 R16 tyre in my car if the recommendations on the door side plaque says 225/50 R16?
Does this 5% increase in the height makes any difference? Like any unnecessary load on the suspension or anything
No it won't affect anything apart from your speed really (will be off by 5% or so). But I would find the tyre size that's right for your car.

Also, I have pirelli Pzero's on my car now for about a year and a half although they are 225/45/17, but have been very happy with them.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
No it won't affect anything apart from your speed really (will be off by 5% or so)
Hi aleks. I didn't get how will it affect the speed.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:36 AM

Friends....
Old 08-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Because your car was calibrated with a thinner tyre, if you get a thicker tyre your wheels take longer to make a full turn. There are sites where you can put in your new and old tyre size and it tells you how much it will affect you.