Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
17" wheel center hub cap size?

I have 17" DAI Replica rims for my winter wheel setup. My OEM wheels are 18" with a 68mm
center cap roundel.
The DAI center cap appears to be about 58mm so I can't swap my original center caps onto my winter wheels.
For those with 17" OEM rims, what size are your BMW center caps?

I'm looking to get a set of center caps for my winter wheels, and it appears that only 58mm caps will fit my rims. Not sure where to shop for these.
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
I have 17" DAI Replica rims for my winter wheel setup. My OEM wheels are 18" with a 68mm
center cap roundel.
The DAI center cap appears to be about 58mm so I can't swap my original center caps onto my winter wheels.
For those with 17" OEM rims, what size are your BMW center caps?

I'm looking to get a set of center caps for my winter wheels, and it appears that only 58mm caps will fit my rims. Not sure where to shop for these.
My 17'' BMW Original Rims have a 68mm Centre Cap.
I got different Brand 4x18" Rims and even though my above 68mm Caps fitted, there was a small gap you could put a screwdriver in and flick off. Not good when washing either. Not relevant to you though.
I am trying BMW Self Adhesive Caps but they are slightly flatter than my new rim caps. The outside edge just isn't low enough to stick properly.

You could ask your BMW Dealer but they rarely think outside the square.
Try bmwdecals.com They have self adhesive centre caps.
Try Ali Express under - BMW Wheel Stickers.
I got a Cap from BMW to try on new wheels, $27 for 1. Fitted but still outside gap that I mentioned above. Haven't fitted new wheels yet, maybe have to settle for their C/Caps.
Will keep trying.
Hope you get lucky with your searches. Keep us informed.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
My 17'' BMW Original Rims have a 68mm Centre Cap.
I got different Brand 4x18" Rims and even though my above 68mm Caps fitted, there was a small gap you could put a screwdriver in and flick off. Not good when washing either. Not relevant to you though.
I am trying BMW Self Adhesive Caps but they are slightly flatter than my new rim caps. The outside edge just isn't low enough to stick properly.

You could ask your BMW Dealer but they rarely think outside the square.
Try bmwdecals.com They have self adhesive centre caps.
Try Ali Express under - BMW Wheel Stickers.
I got a Cap from BMW to try on new wheels, $27 for 1. Fitted but still outside gap that I mentioned above. Haven't fitted new wheels yet, maybe have to settle for their C/Caps.
Will keep trying.
Hope you get lucky with your searches. Keep us informed.
Thanks for the reply.
I was considering just getting roundel stickers to go over the aftermarket caps, but the DAI emblem is itself has a raised print sticker, and so putting another sticker overtop might make it look weird.
I will try those links you suggested.
I found these on a UK eBay store, but want to explore North American options first.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:09 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Hi stonex1,
Those Caps you found look good. Are the dimensions 58mm front and 55mm rear the same as your DAI ones?
I noticed in picture 2 of the 4 emblems that the bottom left cap shows a side view and you will notice that the edge after the BMW logo is solid.
Looking at that EBay site -Under - bmw centre caps - Check Out - New GENUINE BMW Centre Cap Wheel-new style. Fits most BMW models 36136783536 - There is a hand holding C/Cap, 6 photos from USA. See picture 5 shows 4 black clips and notice the small gap where the clips are bent over. That's what's causing the hole I mentioned and would be a problem for anyone wanting to put a BMW C/Cap on there non BMW Rims. Unless it sat inside/flush with your rim like picture 1. That's the same genuine one I got from my BMW Dealer , at $27 for 1 with picture 4 showing same part number.
Also if your considering a Sticker make sure you compare it's Curve.
I have purchased a set of C/Caps because the side view is the same as the ones you looked at, only chrome, which I wanted, from your mentioned EBay site. Cost AUD$16.22 to my door. Will let you know how they fit.
Being careful of what I said above. Hopefully you can come up with a C/Cap - try before you buy - around/out of your area.
Stay in touch, Cheers.