Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI
Exclamation Help! Shocks + Fluid Changes

I own a 2007 328xi w/ 88K miles

I recently went to the BMW dealer and was almost robbed! I am looking for some feedback regarding the 2 ISSUES BELOW....

1. The dealership mentioned my rear shocks were leaking - they nicely offered to change them for $1300!!!. I nicely said NO WAY! Looking on BAVARIAN Auto Parts I found WARRANTED replacement REAR shocks for $104 each.

Should I just order them (Biltein HD 10mm) and have another shop put them in?

2. BMW also mentioned both "Servicing" my Transfer Case and updating the fluid in both Differentials. These recommendations were both based on milage*

I was just going to order the Transfer and Differential fluid online and have another pho put them in.... But WHAT KIND OF Differential Fluid do I need?? Is redline good?... Do I have Limited Slip Differentials?

Thanks for any feedback

Noah
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You should replace all 4 shocks, not just rear. Especially at 88k, your car will benefit from replacing all 4.

A lot of people have been happy with Koni FSDs. However, you will need to pair them with a lowering spring, at the very least, OEM Sport springs. This will run you about $1200 installed but it's a performance upgrade. However, with the lower ride height, you loose clearance for snow.

Bilsteins ride more harsh compared to the FSDs.

You do not have a LSD. Non-M models on these E9x have open diffs.

I wouldn't use anything other than the oem fluid for the transfer case. The diff fluid, as long as you get the correct spec, any fluid should do. I have Royal Purple in both of mine. I can't remember the weight off the top of my head though.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 08-04-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
You should replace all 4 shocks, not just rear. Especially at 88k, your car will benefit from replacing all 4.

A lot of people have been happy with Koni FSDs. However, you will need to pair them with a lowering spring, at the very least, OEM Sport springs. This will run you about $1200 installed but it's a performance upgrade. However, with the lower ride height, you loose clearance for snow.

Bilsteins ride more harsh compared to the FSDs.

You do not have a LSD. Non-M models on these E9x have open diffs.

I wouldn't use anything other than the oem fluid for the transfer case. The diff fluid, as long as you get the correct spec, any fluid should do. I have Royal Purple in both of mine. I can't remember the weight off the top of my head though.
you can replace shocks with out lowering springs, and you can purchase the fluids at the BMW place just to be sure they are the same or compatible
Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
you can replace shocks with out lowering springs, and you can purchase the fluids at the BMW place just to be sure they are the same or compatible
Yes but I suggested FSDs. With xDrive springs, the height is too high and the ride is bouncy.

If you install FSDs, you NEED to pair them with lower springs than what would come on an xDrive or non-sport model.

The bilsteins, if they are designed for xDrive models, will be a direct swap.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 AM

I appreciate all the information.

What I now understand...

1. So, as long as I get the OEM Transfer Case Fluid, I can have any shop put it in right? Its only $50 on Bavarian Auto for a L of OEM Transfer Case Fluid

2. Now that I know I don't have LSD, for the differentials I was going to go with redline 75W140NS.

3. Last, I am really not looking to do anything other than replace the rear shocks, as BMW said that was all that needed to be done. I dont really want to lower my car or have the money for a performance upgrade... Any recommendations for other good shocks?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Find a good Indy shop.

Find a good Indy shop for BMW's.
It a good idea to change all the lifetime fluids.
If you want better than stock shocks Koni FSD's are regrarded
pretty highly here.
Only the Transfer Case fluid has to be BMW OEM fluid I would use
Redline for almost everything else it's available for.
See redline app at Redlineoil.com
If you have a manual Transmission redline D6 will make it smoother.
Its time for spark plugs at 90k on a 328

Last edited by ctuna; 08-04-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 AM

Good Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Find a good Indy shop for BMW's.
It a good idea to change all the lifetime fluids.
If you want better than stock shocks Koni FSD's are regrarded
pretty highly here.
Only the Transfer Case fluid has to be BMW OEM fluid I would use
Redline for almost everything else it's available for.
See redline app at Redlineoil.com
Yeah, I am in the Hudson Valley and am still looking for a good indy shop

I think i am gonna go with the OEM Shocks - 164 each on bavauto.

i just don't want to order the wrong DIFFERENTIAL fluid.
I have a 2007 328xi but have the cold weather package (I read a post that made that seem significant) - I have no idea which to get ... was gonna go with 75W140NS

Thanks
Noah
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Well with new shocks in the rear and worn in th front, the car may feel funny.

To m knowledge, there is no drain bolt for the transfer case. I'm not sure how they will just swap that fluid without doing the trans.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Oh, and I have an automatic transmission....

Basically just eciding btwn 75w90 or 75w140ns