Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i
Exclamation HELP: Need to know if this is just the battery or something else

Disclaimer: I don't know a lot about cars or BMWs for that matter. I just got my first BMW- 2011 328i. So forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about because, quite frankly, I don't.

Last night, I go to start my car and it won't start. The only thing that is happening is the ignition button and the hazard light button are flickering and there is a clicking sound in sync with the flashing.

At first we were unable to get the trunk open to get to the battery because assuming the battery was dead, the buttons wouldn't work but eventually we got it open and tried to jump the car from another car. The lights and key buttons would occassionally work but the car still would not start. The overhead lights turned on, the trunk light turned on and even the little lights that illuminate the door handles turned on at times. The key would also get stuck in the ignition but we assumed that was a security feature. Eventually we were able to get it out.

This made my friend assume that it is something with the fuse panel that is causing the battery to drain, but it was dark out so we decided to take a look at it later today when he is off work.

Is it possible that it is still just a bad battery? The car is only 3 years old.
Or does it sound like it is something with the fuse panel? Anything specific anyone can suggest?

Thanks.

Also forgot to mention: I drove the car earlier that day around 4:30 and then again to switch spots in my driveway around 5:30. This occurred around 10 at night. No lights were left on in car.

Last edited by TCbmw93; 08-06-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Did you get the battery cable recall done? Call your dealer and ask them to run your VIN against the recall campaign.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
ah! try it here too.
http://www.bmwusa.com/recall
Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM

Yes the recall was done.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Did you get the battery cable recall done? Call your dealer and ask them to run your VIN against the recall campaign.
Recall was done. It's at the dealership now, going to find out if it was caused by an external source in which case if it is 'my fault' the warranty will not cover the cost of the battery... Can I ask you what battery I will need to purchase seeing as the dealership is going to charge me $400 to get it from them.

Would rather find the battery on my own and replace it if it was simply due to me leaving lights on or whatever.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
If I trust BMW dealers they will replace battery ($400 battery + $120 service + $250 registering ) and will likely find something else like an alternator faulty - to make another $800 or so....
Did that to my wife a while ago when I was away on business trip.. $1800 o gosh.....

It pisses me off when you bring car during warranty - nothing needs fixing or replacing...i.e. Oil is good for 15 miles, tires always good until warranty expires.
I saw lady complaining that her front tires we worn out inside - SA said "BMW suspension is tune that way".
Couple cars later guy waiting and SA comes with "buddy" - buddy goes around - sees tires worn out inside and says "You need 4 wheel alignment - your front tires are worn out inside" Driver replies "aren't all BMW do that?" He replies "OH no - only if wheel alignment is not right"...
And I see sign on the wall "4 wheel alignment special $269"...when I talked to my I asked him - "you guys do wheel alignment in house?" he says "No - we send it across the street to the tire shop"... So on my way out I stopped at that shop.. "Are you guys doing 4 wheel alignments for BMW?" "Of course - we do it all the time for the dealer" .. "How much would you charge me?" "$125 is the price....".
Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCbmw93 View Post
Disclaimer: I don't know a lot about cars or BMWs for that matter. I just got my first BMW- 2011 328i. So forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about because, quite frankly, I don't.

First things first - VIEW & DO

Frequent or exclusively short trips can do it, as can an unregistered or improperly registered battery.

How'd things turn out?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Autozone. Buy the one they don't recommend you (and you don't need the stupid memory module the try to sell for $15.00 add on either) but is same size as your OEM battery and fits all of the snap on attachments that the positive and negative power sources go to. Figure out how to struggle and remove it through you tube video DIY and replacing will be easy. Then go get it registered at an INDY or the SHOP. MY SA told me to do that and save my money.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
I am not against the registering batteries - but to buy one from dealer for $400? (even if this includes registering? not much sens for me). Sure they scare the heck of of you to do so.
I am running unregistered ~$100 Bosh batteries from Pep Boys on two of my cars for 3 and 4 years now - no issues whatsoever. Registering battery likely improves charging characteristic as battery gets older but it is not something which will break it or make other things to malfunction. It is BMW's way to extend the life of their not the best quality batteries and make money - can't blame them for this.
These Bosh batteries came with 36 month unlimited and 96 month prorated warranties - and these do not require batteries to be registered. Do the numbers - when registering vs getting new battery makes financial sense.
But you own the car - you decide what makes sens and gives you comfort.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
I am not against the registering batteries - but to buy one from dealer for $400? (even if this includes registering? not much sens for me). Sure they scare the heck of of you to do so.
I am running unregistered ~$100 Bosh batteries from Pep Boys on two of my cars for 3 and 4 years now - no issues whatsoever. Registering battery likely improves charging characteristic as battery gets older but it is not something which will break it or make other things to malfunction. It is BMW's way to extend the life of their not the best quality batteries and make money - can't blame them for this.
These Bosh batteries came with 36 month unlimited and 96 month prorated warranties - and these do not require batteries to be registered. Do the numbers - when registering vs getting new battery makes financial sense.
But you own the car - you decide what makes sens and gives you comfort.
I appreciate this. Great answer. Thank you!