Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: X-3
Windshield reservoir leaking

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a 2008 X-3 with about 33k miles. Last week, I noticed the fluid from the washer reservoir was leaking. I'm fairly sure its a seal and not the pump as it will still pump just fine.

Looked around on various parts sites and could not find a seal. Should I just get a new pump (and hopefully seals come with it?) ?

Car is stock, nothing aftermarket. Need some help on other than a pump, what I should fix.

We're in South Korea so going to a local part store will not work.

Thanks

SuperX
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
a good link

the filter gromit seal is in this link .....~ 3 bucks ....getta few !

http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=45
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM

easy tank emptying / hole plug for pump

if you can't get a pal to suck start a siphon tube and gag on the fluid !.....use a very low cost siphon pump like this to empty your wash fluid from the tank while you work on the pump seal/filter .....or .....just go for it .....pop the pump out .....put finger over hole or stuff a tapered rubber plug type device in hole ......should take 5 mins to diy

http://www.amazon.com/IIT-17544-Siph...iphon+pump+gas

pop off the pump elec connector first to give you more room to work with tiny pump

Last edited by swampX3; 08-11-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: add link
Old 08-13-2014, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I had the same problem on mine. I replaced the seal and that did not solve the problem. The problem was indeed the pump. There is a bleeder hole at the bottom of the pumps. If you can get a look underneath....(it's almost impossible to see...I used a fiber-scope) You will see fluid coming out of this hole. The pump seal is gone...It still pumps okay but fluid passes by the seals while it's sitting there. I got a replacement on ebay for 6 bucks. It's been installed working fine for over a year.

Here's a listing for one for even cheaper.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-M-X-Z-...8c9762&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Frenchx3; 08-13-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:28 PM

thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I am going to order a pump and a few seals. Looks like an easy DIY project.

I'll more than likely drain the reservoir and let it dry...easier with no fluid coming out I guess.

Now, another question...real BMW parts or aftermarket?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:39 PM

real bmw or

bmw doesn't make lots of parts on their cars ....especially these mini pumps .....there are millions/billions of them made in your neck of the woods ......most of the aftermarket stuff is ok.....I see 6 bucks on fleabay quoted in the post above.....or just get the bavauto stuff and combine the filters/pump in one shipment
Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
all of the above. Also don't forget that the windshield washer tank, and the coolant expansion tank will degrade and self destruct about 100K miles or before! Part of BMW's effort to look good with their environmental effort to recycle all the car parts I guess.....
Old 08-15-2014, 06:24 PM

ordered pump and seals from amazon, much cheaper than bavauto due to shipping costs
Old 08-15-2014, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Check that the windshield washer reservoir cap has a hole in it so that system can properly vent. I bought a new cap that didn't have a hole in it and when it got hot the washer fluid would expand and send it out the nozzles, etc. I drilled a 1/16" hole into the cap and problem solved, no more leaks.