Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 323is/'70 TR6 PI
Anyone try Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires?

Tirerack recommended Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires for our X5 3.0i w/Sport Package, to replace the OEM Michelins. Anyone try these? They are listed as a light truck highway tire, so I am a little concerned about taking away the car-like aspect of the X5. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H
Tirerack recommended Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires for our X5 3.0i w/Sport Package, to replace the OEM Michelins. Anyone try these? They are listed as a light truck highway tire, so I am a little concerned about taking away the car-like aspect of the X5. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim
Personally I'd replace them with the OEM Michy's - great all around tire!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Thanks,
Jim
Do they carry a P or LT rating? The LT rated tires have stiffer sidewalls to handle hauling heavier loads. A P rated tire shouldn't be that bad. Even though TireRack has them in the truck catagory, there are still P and LT rated tires in that section.

I would think you biggest concern between the Bridgestones and what you have now would be grip. I would hope you X5 OEM's would be more car like in their grip and ride.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:09 AM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: 14 F10, 14 F15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
Personally I'd replace them with the OEM Michy's - great all around tire!
I agree.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
Do they carry a P or LT rating? The LT rated tires have stiffer sidewalls to handle hauling heavier loads. A P rated tire shouldn't be that bad. Even though TireRack has them in the truck catagory, there are still P and LT rated tires in that section.

I would think you biggest concern between the Bridgestones and what you have now would be grip. I would hope you X5 OEM's would be more car like in their grip and ride.
They are an H rated tire, just like the Michelins in that regard.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
They are an H rated tire, just like the Michelins in that regard.
Its not the speed rating...SUV/Truck tires have a seperate rating where you will see things like C, SL etc. Some sites will also list the tires as being either P or LT at the start of the size numbers i.e. Tires for my Sequoia could come in P265/70/16 or LT265/70/16. The tires are the same size, but the load rating is very different.

The C, SL ect load rating is based on how much weight you can put on the tire. When dealing with the P vs. LT markings it is along the same lines. A P tire is good for your X5 and my Sequoia, but if we start towing a 5000K lbs boat/camper/race trailer on a regular basis, we would want to look at an LT tire. The side walls are much stiffer to support the weight...of course the ride becomes much more harsh as well.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Its not the speed rating...SUV/Truck tires have a seperate rating where you will see things like C, SL etc. Some sites will also list the tires as being either P or LT at the start of the size numbers i.e. Tires for my Sequoia could come in P265/70/16 or LT265/70/16. The tires are the same size, but the load rating is very different.

The C, SL ect load rating is based on how much weight you can put on the tire. When dealing with the P vs. LT markings it is along the same lines. A P tire is good for your X5 and my Sequoia, but if we start towing a 5000K lbs boat/camper/race trailer on a regular basis, we would want to look at an LT tire. The side walls are much stiffer to support the weight...of course the ride becomes much more harsh as well.
I see what you're saying. I don't see on Tirerack where they show that designation on any of the truck tires, so I'm not sure.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: 14 F10, 14 F15
Quote:

All Bridgestone Dueller tires are made exclusively for light trucks and SUVs and the H/L Alenza is no difference.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
I see what you're saying. I don't see on Tirerack where they show that designation on any of the truck tires, so I'm not sure.
If you look at the first column under labled size/load rating on the specs page you will see what I am talking about. A size is listed XXX/XX/XX and below that there is a number and a letter or two. The number is how much weight the tire will support and the letters corrispond to a load rating which will probably match a range the number listed falls under.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by breytonX5
All Bridgestone Dueller tires are made exclusively for light trucks and SUVs and the H/L Alenza is no difference.
Not always...I put all terrain Duellers on my Toyota. Those tires can have the exact same size but with different load ratings. TireRack doesn't sell them I don't think, but other places do. A 6~9 ply P-rated Dueller will be much softer and ride much better than a 10~12 ply Dueller but that 10~12 ply tire will cary a lot more weight.

Looking around at the Alenza it seems to be more of a light use tire and not one offered in sized to where any truck users would need a heavier rating. The straight Deuler H/L 683's are...we have them here at work on our heavy duty pick-ups and they are LT rated.

Just sharing what I learned going through the latest round of tires for our new Toyota...very different when we would just through a set of inexpensive A/T tires on the 'ole Cherokee.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:01 AM

Quote:
If you look at the first column under labled size/load rating on the specs page you will see what I am talking about. A size is listed XXX/XX/XX and below that there is a number and a letter or two. The number is how much weight the tire will support and the letters corrispond to a load rating which will probably match a range the number listed falls under.
OK, the Bridestones are listed as 109H XL, while the Michelins are listed as 105H SL. The tirerack rep says that the Bridgestone will be better in wet and snow, ride better, and handle equal to the Michelins. Any thoughts on this?