Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sedan, auto
Lesson Learned at Valvoline Instant Oil Change!

So, here's a little story I imagine a lot of you will enjoy.

I took my car into Valvoline today for an oil change (hoping to spare myself time and money as it is cheap and only 10 minutes from my office).

The told me to get out of the car at the entrance to the garage, and they pulled it in. I immediately started watching them through the window and noticed that, not one, but TWO of them were having trouble turning off the left turn signal, which they must have inadvertently activated. It was only when they called their manager over that it turned off (I assume he's the manager because he has slightly more brain capacity than the two muppets that are working for him).

Then I waited for 25 minutes (so much for "instant"). When they finally started messing around with my car I noticed them milling around it, looking at the badges and laughing to themselves. The manager guy was on the phone. I started to get worried. When one of the guys came through the waiting area to check someone else out, I asked him if there were any issues. He said, "No. But they're on the phone with the hotline because they don't know how to change the oil on your car, since there's no dipstick. And they don't believe me that we have to evacuate the oil....etc." "But don't worry, when I go back out there, i'll show them how it's done. I've done this before. It'll be fine."

FINE?!??! Yeah suuuure it'll be fine! I asked him if they had taken out the oil and as soon as he said no I rushed into the garage and told them to stop and that I was going to take the car elsewhere.

They seemed to be a little irritated, but nevertheless they drove the car out and I promptly got in it and drove away. The guy at the desk said he understood why I was leery - what does that tell you?

Well it tells you to NEVER EVER take your BMW (or probably any European car) to a place like that for an oil change.

I knew already that the car didn't have a dipstick, but i figured that they would have known how to deal with that. I was wrong. Further research reveals that the car has an aluminum oil pan that is easy to strip out, and possibly a weird oil filter with a gasket that needs replacing each time the oil is changed (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, who knows if they even change the filter, or if the oil they're putting in is really the full synthetic?!

I'm just going to schedule an appointment at the dealer!
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Kmart auto is the same

bunch of japanese car apprentice

Pretty useless
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
All they needed to do was loosen the oil filter cap under the hood and take out the drain bolt in the bottom like any other car. Then remove and replace the filter and filter gaskets, reinstall the drain plug and put the oil in. Dipstick has nothing to do with it.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Thought most knew to never bring a Bimmer to a Jiffy Lube like joint... C'mon man you should know better than this & just to save a little bit of coin?? Not sure I'd bring a Dodge to one of those mindless joints.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-12-2014, 05:11 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman07 View Post

Well it tells you to NEVER EVER take your BMW (or probably any European car) to a place like that for an oil change.
I wouldn't take my lawnmower to a place like that for an oil change.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
I change the oil in my lawn mower all by myself! In fact, I just did it!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quick oil change places like to suck oil out of the dipstick hole since that eliminates the oil apes from cross threading, over torqueing, or under torqueing the drain plug.

An acquaintance owned several quick-oil change places. Their industry association compiles spec's on drain plug torques, oil capacities, oil spec' requirements, etc. He admitted the guy working on the cars are one notch above burger flippers. The trick is to have a competent store manager who rides a close herd on worker bees. He had a great retention rate for store mangers because he bought them a four-door, compact pick-up truck as a company car. He paid them less than normal, but the truck was tax-free compensation to them. Few store manager have the ability to quit a job AND give buy a car at the same time.

A tire store (tire apes are second from the bottom on the automotive service food chain) broke the hood latch on my wife's coworker's M-B C Class. They pulled it shut with lots of really big zip ties and said nothing.

My new Honda lawn mower (the BMW of lawnmowers) has an oil fill spout/dip stick holder bolted onto the engine that is angled at 45 degrees to the side from vertical. To train the oil, you tilt the lawnmower at least 45 degrees on it's side and hold a cup under it.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:53 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
I have a Honda lawnmower, a Honda garden tractor, a Honda garden tiller, two Honda portable electric generators, two Honda trucks and lots of Honda stock.

I wouldn't let quick oil change people near any of this stuff. I change my own oil on the small engines.

My indy shop changes the oil on the cars and trucks, because I'm getting too old to roll around on my driveway, and for the $25 he charges (I supply the oil and filter), I'd rent the lift from him. Plus he gets rid of the old oil.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
When I first started looking at a BMW with the serious intent to buy one, the best deal available was a 2008 328xi at a local Chevrolet dealer. They didn't have a single clue about the car at all. They told me that I could bring it in for oil changes if I wanted. Yeah, right.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Just DIY. This tutorial works for just about every BMW

Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
I have my indy change the oil in my X5. It's $100 for the change and given the price of synthetic oil and how infrequently it's changed the cost is about inline with these quick oil change places.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive
I bought mine from a Toyota dealer. Later a BMW dealer said they put in the wrong air filter and oil. They also used the wrong screws to attach the rear license plate and caused 80 bucks in damage that I had to pay for but that's a whole different rant.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman07 View Post
....who knows if they even change the filter, or if the oil they're putting in is really the full synthetic?!

I'm just going to schedule an appointment at the dealer!

Yesssssss. But if you DIY, you know it's done right - here's another video, your engine.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Only. Go. To. A. REAL. Shop.

Or DIY. While you DIY, feel free to curse BMW with every inventive term you know for their idiocy in removing the dipstick.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xDrive, 2014 X1
I'm reading this as I sit at my BMW dealer having my oil changed. My last one I had an Indy shop do and within a week the oil indicator said I was down a quart. So I went and bought a quart and put it in.

I was pretty insistent that the Indy use the BMW recommended oil and filter, which he was unhappy about but did. So I saved a couple bucks to have it done wrong. Learned my lesson and here I sit.

By the way his excuse for under filling it was no dip stick.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Pretty good excuse though.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post

Actually, an EXCELLENT excuse and another reason there should be a dipstick in these cars.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post

That and being unable to read apparently as if he could he would have put enough in!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
When refilling oil, I've never used a dipstick.

If I pour 7 qts in, how in the holy hell would there not be 7 quarts in there?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto:
I'm proud of myself I did my first oil change on my 2011 335xi..

Old 08-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzopazzo View Post
I'm proud of myself I did my first oil change on my 2011 335xi..

Congratulations! You SHOULD be proud of yourself. This is just the start of your journey of (huge money saving and personal satisfaction) Do-It-Yourself-ness on these BMWs.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
In the 25 years of driving and all the cars I have had I have only had the oil changed(the first one) one time at the dealer. I have always done it myself because I just don't have trust that it will be done right. I try to do all maintenance items. I figure If I break something at least I know it is broken. I have had my first BMW a week and when the time comes to change the oil on that I think it is in the maintenance plan for one more but after that I will get the ol oil pan and ratchet out and do the dirty. Good thing about these cars is the oil needs to be changed less frequently...which brings me to wondering does anyone change their oil much more often than recommended?
My wife has a mercedes c250 and I had this discussion with the dealer about how often and they said because of the fine filter 10K is no problem. Seems high to me but they stand by that. I have not researched if the recommend miles for oil change for BMW is fine or a little less would be better.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Most people around here say 7500 miles for OCI (oil change interval).
Several people do say to follow the computer's service indicator though, because of the condition-based sensor for the oil. That little guy reads changes in the oil via electric field.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Jiffy Lube has messed up oil changes enough times on my TOYOTA that I won't even bring that car there anymore. It's not the oil change itself that they mess up, but rather knocking this EVAC line or whatever it is off, causing check-engine lights, and then having to break out my OBD-II scanner to reset it along with reattaching the line. Then there was the surcharge for 4WD even though the fact that it was 4WD had absolutely nothing to do with changing oil. F them. I just wait for specials at the Toyota dealership that I'm close to and take it there. It's not anymore expensive and they've never messed up the car. And yeah I'd never take a BMW to any "quick lube" place either. Dealership or trusted BMW independent, or do it myself.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
In the 25 years of driving and all the cars I have had I have only had the oil changed(the first one) one time at the dealer. I have always done it myself because I just don't have trust that it will be done right. I try to do all maintenance items. I figure If I break something at least I know it is broken. I have had my first BMW a week and when the time comes to change the oil on that I think it is in the maintenance plan for one more but after that I will get the ol oil pan and ratchet out and do the dirty. Good thing about these cars is the oil needs to be changed less frequently...which brings me to wondering does anyone change their oil much more often than recommended?
My wife has a mercedes c250 and I had this discussion with the dealer about how often and they said because of the fine filter 10K is no problem. Seems high to me but they stand by that. I have not researched if the recommend miles for oil change for BMW is fine or a little less would be better.
I have seen nothing to suggest following the recommended change interval has any long term consequences with reliability. Personally I change the oil in my X5 approximately every 10K miles or when the computer tells me to based on time. Does that qualify as "much more often"?