Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 328 i
BMW 328i wheel bearing

Hello,

Today I gave my car to BMW dealer(Los Angeles) as there was some noice when I drive above 40mph.

They said it may be issue with wheel bearing. The Quote they gave me for Front right bearing is close to $900. So at this point I am not sure if its going to front right/left or rear right/left.

But from what I understand front right and left charges goes hand in hand so as per me it should be $900 for front and probably $900 for rear. I dont understand the concept of left and right in this case based off the amount.

So I would like to take some feedback from BMW community if this sounds right or not.

Its for 328i Sedan 2008.
$900 includes part and labor(Just front right).

Does this sound right?
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
I would get another quote from an Indy.

I would get another quote from an Indy.
Also how much is labor and how much is parts?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 328 i
around 400 for labor and same for part. Sounds fishy to me. Cause initially they were saying front bearing but after changing the right, noise is still there so now they are saying change the left for same price.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
It is not an AWD I take it? If not, RUN!!!! A wheel hub assembly, good OEM replacement, is $130.00 with a bearing. I did the rears on my wife's Altima (it's FWD) by myself. Cost me $120.00 for both sides in parts. It should be an easy job for any mechanic. Take off brakes and rotor, unbolt assembly and reverse to install.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Here is the Bentley Manual procedure:

-Raise car and remove front wheel.
-Unbolt brake caliper and hang to side with a stiff wire (do not disconnect brake hose).
-Remove brake disc.
-Remove wheel bearing / hub unit off steering knuckle.

Installation is reverse.

Parts link:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html

Last edited by sptt144; 08-11-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
If you have a RWD model, the front wheel bearing is bolted in. It's very easy to replace. If you can do brakes, this is a piece of cake.

The AWD models and rear bearings in RWD models are pressed and you need a special tool to replace them.

That's a normal price for a dealership to charge for a pressed in wheel bearing. It should be MUCH cheaper at the dealer for a bolted bearing.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketh.parmar View Post
Hello,

Today I gave my car to BMW dealer(Los Angeles) as there was some noice when I drive above 40mph.

They said it may be issue with wheel bearing. The Quote they gave me for Front right bearing is close to $900. So at this point I am not sure if its going to front right/left or rear right/left.

But from what I understand front right and left charges goes hand in hand so as per me it should be $900 for front and probably $900 for rear. I dont understand the concept of left and right in this case based off the amount.

So I would like to take some feedback from BMW community if this sounds right or not.

Its for 328i Sedan 2008.
$900 includes part and labor(Just front right).

Does this sound right?
MY bigger concern with your question is that they said it MAY BE an issue with the wheel bearing. That's a lot of loot to spend on a "may be"... Are you sure it's not the TIRES? I was CONVINCED my noise was failed wheel bearings and had both front's replaced at my Indy... turns out, I was WRONG (yet again!)... The noise is from my lousy run flat tires.

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
That is a pretty high quote for labor and parts. The job itself is pretty simple and can even be done by a non professional as long as you are willing
to take your time.

We do carry the OEM front wheel bearing and hub assembly for $93.81 each.

Here is a link to our site for the hub and bearing assembly:
AutohausAZ - Wheel hub & bearing

Disclaimer: Make sure to check the year and model of the vehicle before placing the order.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
^lol the forum censored the wheel bearing manufacturing company, F A G

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-12-2014, 04:07 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
^lol the forum censored the wheel bearing manufacturing company, F A G
It did so I just changed it to OEM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketh.parmar View Post

OK, look: Dealers are a last resort when out of warranty. They charge top dollar and you must remember that you're dealing with people just like anyone else - they make mistakes and are not always right.

You're better off with a reputable Indy. You're best off doing it yourself - you know it's done right and you may learn a few useful skills. Of course not everyone can, in which case I always recommend the excellent Indy, if you know of one. Ask around!

Lots of DIY info available - just Google.