Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Water Leak

Had a lot of rain yesterday. Water was coming out of the light / sunroof assembly, and into the cup holder below. Any ideas? Sunroof seemed to be closed as usual. Never had a leak issue.
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Sunroof drains are clogged. They should be cleaned out periodically.
Check underneath the spare tire cover for wetness too. Expensive components back there and there are reports of them getting water damage. Not cheap to fix.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^ agree
Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Just checked..No water or evidence of, in either the spare well or side compartments..Thank goodness! Might the drains be clogged somewhere I'm not seeing, as there is nothing blocking to 2 drains I could find. Keep in mind, this truck has about 25,000 miles on it, sunroof is NEVER left open when not driving. I do have a after market platinum warranty that has proven to be well worth it. Any further advise would be great, as I have added this to my list of things to get looked at. There is no evidence of water, other that video I took, so figured I could have them look into it in a few days.

A couple pics of my pristine drains...I'm kind of a clean freak, even cleaning my sunroof tracks out..not that they seemingly ever need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140812_111526_resized.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	458062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140812_111612_resized.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	458063  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
They normally get clogged on the exit side. I am not sure about the E70 but some models have a little contraption that keeps stuff from flowing out freely. If you have trees, pollen, road grime, and general crap in the air then it will happen. MI has it all.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Using a small funnel of a turkey baster pour water into the drain: it should flow uninterruptedly and not backing up. As you do that monitor the inside to ensure no leaks: if the drains are not clogged they may have become disconnected.

This will also allow you to easily track where the exit is and as FredoinSF has recommended there's a "little contraption" (I know it may not be appropriate, but it looks like two labia...) you may have so squeeze the labia (...) to get dirt out

That's how I clean mine when I lube the sunroof...

[geeze...]

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 08-12-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
but it looks like two labia...) you may have so squeeze the labia (...) to get dirt out
[geeze...]
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the (creative) ideas! I just did the "turkey baster" test..also known as the neti pot test..and water poured freely out both sides of the front wheel well area, tested both holes. FYI, I live in a house and work in a area with no trees anywhere. I'm guessing I'll be giving the dealer an ear full.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

"dealer"?!?!? You in warranty? No other reason to see a dealer....
Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 AM

LOL..I hear ya ard. But I have a platinum warranty that pretty much covers everything except for maint. and normal wear of course, and the dealer already has experience in dealing with them
Old 08-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX5 View Post
LOL..I hear ya ard. But I have a platinum warranty that pretty much covers everything except for maint. and normal wear of course, and the dealer already has experience in dealing with them
A famous exclusion on almost every warranty Ive read is "water leak". It is absolutely excluded on the BMW Platinum, at least the copy I have:

Quote:
WHAT IS NOT COVERED
a. For Platinum Plans, this Contract does not cover:
Body and interior parts, including but not limited to: paint,
glass, headlamps, bulbs (except instrumentation), mirrors,
lenses, body and chassis, body seals and gaskets,
interior and exterior trim, moldings, fasteners, upholstery,
headliner, carpeting, floor mats, trunk mats, convertible
top (all components except electronics), air or water leaks,
wind or body noises, wheels, and damage due to rust,
corrosion, or contamination.
"pretty much covers everything" is salesman speak!

Having said that, I see you refer to "them" so maybe you do not have a BMW warranty? Anyway, know what is covered BEFORE they trap you into diagno$i$

Last edited by ard; 08-12-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX5 View Post
Thanks for the (creative) ideas! I just did the "turkey baster" test..also known as the neti pot test..and water poured freely out both sides of the front wheel well area, tested both holes. FYI, I live in a house and work in a area with no trees anywhere. I'm guessing I'll be giving the dealer an ear full.
I notice that you only mention testing the front ones but there are actually an additional two at the rear of the sunroof that drain out behind the rear wheelwells, if I remember right. I would incline the vehicle so it tilts to the rear and check those, too. If those are clean, open the glass all of the way and look carefully at the seal that fits all around on the inner lip of the roof opening for proper installation. I had a leak that would occasionally result in a few drops of water collecting on the inner door trim pieces below the A pillar. It turned out that the seal was canted inward in the center of the front opening and it was directing the water over the water collection channel and directly onto my headliner and then down the inside of the A pillar. I realigned the seal and everything was OK again. I attribute the misalignment to the dealership when they were doing a routine lube of the sunroof since it wasn't there when I bought the vehicle.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
I notice that you only mention testing the front ones but there are actually an additional two at the rear of the sunroof that drain out behind the rear wheelwells, i.
Yeah, the ones behind the labia?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Yeah, the ones behind the labia?
I think that would be anatomically correct.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
I notice that you only mention testing the front ones but there are actually an additional two at the rear of the sunroof that drain out behind the rear wheelwells, if I remember right. I would incline the vehicle so it tilts to the rear and check those, too. If those are clean, open the glass all of the way and look carefully at the seal that fits all around on the inner lip of the roof opening for proper installation. I had a leak that would occasionally result in a few drops of water collecting on the inner door trim pieces below the A pillar. It turned out that the seal was canted inward in the center of the front opening and it was directing the water over the water collection channel and directly onto my headliner and then down the inside of the A pillar. I realigned the seal and everything was OK again. I attribute the misalignment to the dealership when they were doing a routine lube of the sunroof since it wasn't there when I bought the vehicle.
More input Thanks! Update..I did notice a bend in one of the gaskets, so maybe that was it (see pic). The only thing I can figure that might have cause it to bend, is the wind deflector/screen. This is the first I've heard of water coming out of the light / sunroof control assembly!!! I'm guessing it will never happen again, but still have to get it checked out being electrical. My warranty covers weather stripping, and it sure seems to fall under the weather category..we'll see. No mention of leaks not being covered either. Knowing nothing is as it seems.. I always read the fine print, and take a deep breath while waiting for approval. But they've been great so far, as repairs go. It's a platinum warranty, not through the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140812_111652-1_resized.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	458200  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 AM

Yep, that seems to be where I remember finding my leak.