Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
SI B 11 06 13: EGR Cooler Bracket retrofit

First of all, here it is:

It is an active campaign, but you'd likely won't receive a letter about it since it says: "PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES BEFORE CUSTOMER DELIVERY OR THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIR".

It applies to all US X5 Diesel from 3/2008 to 9/2012.

It adds a bracket that connects the throttle plate to the engine block to ensure that the EGR cooler doesn't vibrate independently from the EGR valve causing a leak around the flex elbow. I suspect said leak looks like this:

If, like me, you don't take your car in for service, call up the local BMW dealer, give them the last 7 of your VIN and verify if it needs to be taken care of. Also carefully check your EGR cooler: if it leaks you're entitled to a new one.

I have not called to schedule this yet, so I don't know if it cost any money for those of us outside of BMW warranty; the bulletin doesn't mention anything specific about it.

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 08-12-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2014, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Yeah, I got that fixed without any letter last time I was there at dealer in May. I posted on bimmerfest, but should have gotten more detail before I post. Will do so next time to keep other inform. Took the service adviser by surprised too as he also owned an X5 35D.

This is good information.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Yup, mine was done a month after picking up from the dealer.

Then recently, the was a wiring short near the EGR causing limp mode as the 5 volt line was supposedly melted and caused a short throwing a lot of codes....

Luckily they fixed it after 4 days at the dealer just before I took a 1700 mile road trip....
Old 08-14-2014, 11:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
I called to schedule my appointment.

For the record the recall is free of charge regardless of mileage or warranty status and it can be performed alone (meaning you don't need to bring the car in for something else in order to have it taken care of)... And you get a loner

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
I called to schedule my appointment.

For the record the recall is free of charge regardless of mileage or warranty status and it can be performed alone (meaning you don't need to bring the car in for something else in order to have it taken care of)... And you get a loner

I always get disappointed with loaner from the BMW dealer. It's not as good as my x5. The only exception was 1 series. I enjoyed the fact it did not have fancy electronics and I can focus on driving.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
I was never disappointed with loaners - all 3 series that drive nice.
Had these over the 2 years:
previous gen 335d, previous gen 328i MSport, new 320i, new 320d, new 328i.
I often timed drop off on Friday and pick up on Monday, so had nice weekends with lots of miles
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM

The few times I get loaners I always miss my X5: the 3 series are very spartan in the equipment, the 4 banger both D and Gasoline are dogs, the new iDrive is idiotic and the start/stop function pisses me off...

I can't wait to be back in the X

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750