Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: x3
just picked up an M3!

Hello and good evening everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself as I am relatively new to this forum (was on the x3 side) and just say I look forward to gaining more knowledge on these beloved m's and also contributing what I know to the community. As for the car, it is a '98 estoril blue coupe with roughly 85k miles. nothing seems to be majorly wrong as it was well maintained. A few things to note would be a slight rattle of the vanos and a slightly spongy clutch, and an inop radio deck. If anyone wants to shed light on the vanos I am very open.

To kick it off, I was wondering if a stock radio from an 07 335i would fit in our e36's? it's still a single din, but just wondering if anyone knows or have done this. I want to change out the radio deck but keep it as stock looking as possible.

Btw, yes, I know the radio isn't as important as the vanos or the clutch, but currently, it's not my daily driver, yet. lol
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
wow.. great deal.

re: vanos..
check fluids first...
run a clean-up system in the first oil change.

When these cars are run low on oil the heat cooks the oil to the vanos gears, makes em sticky and chattery.
(BMWs will usually run off a significant amount of oil after a few thousand miles..)

Seafoam the gas, the crankcase, and the intake..
Spark plugs, and clean as you work.
Cheers & welcome!

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.