Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 PM
BJINCALI_94530i

Mein Auto: 1994 530i
94 530i Door Lock Issue

Last night, someone obviously tried to break into my car. The passenger side door lock looks like a screwdriver was jammed into it. I attempted to open my car car door this morning and was met with the inability to move the key left or right. It just wouldn't budge. Once I discovered to attempted break-in, I figure maybe the car's locks have been damaged someone.

Can anyone tell me if they are familiar with this occurrence.

NOTE:
1. No, opening the trunk did not unlock the car doors.
2. No, holding the passenger side door handle up and trying to turn the key did not work.

What repair approach should I take to this? I assume the locking system is complicated and connected with my key, ignition and a host of other things.

Help...if you can. Thanks and much appreciated.
BJ
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
May be double locked, try to unlock it via my signature.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Didn't read entirely so no need to go through the article in my signature, you have seen it already, do you have a key fob?

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 AM
BJINCALI_94530i

Mein Auto: 1994 530i
I have to find the key fob. The battery died and I just stopped using it and the alarm. I'll try to get a battery for the fob tomorrow and see if that helps. But that's temporary. I know that I will have to replace the lock cylinder on the passenger side as a screwdriver has obviously been jammed into it. Is this a simple process. Or an expensive repair at a shop. Does it involve new keys for the doors and ignition? I'd just like a gauge of what to expect when I take it in to a shop (if necessary).

Thanks for replying. Any help is appreciated.
BJ
Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E34 540i
I recently pulled my entire mechanism (locking, latching, everything) out. I will say, it isn't for the faint of heart. But it isn't too bad once you figure the order of twists and turns within the door frame and space. You will need a torx.... damn can't recall size, anyhow just a few bolts and the mechanism will come out then, since it's fuggered from the outside, you will be left with replacing the cylinder. That's where I think you may be screwed trying to do it yourself. It will need a new one, keyed. You may be able to do the dis-assembly yourself but I expect you will need to talk to the dealer for the cylinder.

Maybe someone else has has alternatives?
Hellrot Red

Fuelly

My Basic Repair History (Edited 4/7/2014)

Ongoing comparison between two E34 540ia's

OBC4 Hidden Functions : Link 1, Link 2