Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW Z4 35is
Question Newbie has questions... now there's a surprise

Hi everybody. Another newbie here

I've been lurking on these boards for about a month or so and have found them to be very informative and at times quite amusing. You guys are all bimmer crazy... or maybe just crazy

So, I'm looking to replace my Honda Accord in the new year and have pretty much decided on a 3 series. I've only ever owned and driven "sensible" cars in the past (like my Accord) but when I recently took a 325i out for a test drive I was instantly blown away. I then drove a 330i and I was in love. It truly is an awesome car!!!

Anyway, as with many other people it would seem, I'm torn between getting a 2005 e46 before they go out of production or holding off until the e90 becomes available. The e90 probably makes more sense financially and will still look "current" in a few years but the timeless styling of the e46 and the much anticipated reliability issues of the e90 have left me up in the air. Like any self-respecting newbie, I came prepared with a list of questions. Please be gentle...

1. When will they start offering incentives on the 2005's and what are these likely to be on a 325i and 330i?

2. Do I have more bargaining power on the amount over invoice given that they're trying to move the cars?

3. Is it likely that the 2.9% APR will be available on these cars?

4. What about the 1.9% APR I've seen mentioned in a few posts? What would I need to do to get that?

5. If I decide on an e46 will I have any problem getting service given that it's no longer a current model? I know I'll get a 4/50k warrantly with maintenance but what about in a few years time. Will I pay more on service in the long run on a car that's an older model?

6. How will the e46 330i compare to the e90 325i in terms of performance. I know the engine specs of the two are pretty close as far as hp goes but will the e90 325i drive more like a e46 325i or 330i? All opinion at this point I'm sure.

I'm sure I have plenty of other questions for you fine folk but I don't wanna push it. Thanks in advance for not flaming a newbie (here's hoping)
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2004, 07:24 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
1, 3, 4: let's hope Sarafil or Adrian drops by to offer some insights on those questions.

2: You're almost certain to have more bargaining power on the E46, even if not everyone on this board is enamored with the E90. The question will be how well BMW manages production so that dealers don't end up with lots of E46s on the lot just as they are switching over to the E90.

5: Hard to say. Yes, it will get harder to find E46 parts a few years out, but on the other hand, a new E90 is also likely to have a lot of issues with this being the first model year, so the costs might not be all that different.

6: Not having driven both, I would guess that the E90 325i will be closer to the current 330i than it is to the 325i.

Lots of speculation. I left my crystal ball at home.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 11-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
I would think the E46 makes more economic sense, as long as you make sure you get a deal appropriate to it being a final-year car. Also, do you really want to pay for the privilege of performing BMW's on the road testing by getting a completely untried model? I mean, look at all the issues with the E46's reliability after having 6-7 years to get it right.

(yes, I know, 10 people will now post about how their car has been perfect from day one )

BMW will still produce parts for the E46 for many years. I doubt you will have any trouble getting parts or service.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: camry
Corleone,

There is discussion going on how E90 is going to turn out as far as the reliability goes. Check out this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78980

I personally think you might be better off with E46 or the Audi A4 maybe.

Right now I am stuck with almost the same problem, is E90 going to be worth it considering I have to get a new car no matter what because my old camry is not going to make it
Old 11-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by norihaga
I would think the E46 makes more economic sense, as long as you make sure you get a deal appropriate to it being a final-year car. Also, do you really want to pay for the privilege of performing BMW's on the road testing by getting a completely untried model? I mean, look at all the issues with the E46's reliability after having 6-7 years to get it right.

(yes, I know, 10 people will now post about how their car has been perfect from day one )

BMW will still produce parts for the E46 for many years. I doubt you will have any trouble getting parts or service.
#1 - My car has been perfect from day one

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleone
Hi everybody. Another newbie here

I'm sure I have plenty of other questions for you fine folk but I don't wanna push it. Thanks in advance for not flaming a newbie (here's hoping)
and welcome to the 'fest!

I believe you will have a great time with a 3er, current or E90.

I drove 1 Civic and 3 Accords for 300K+ miles sandwiched around 1 C class Benz before I bought the 3er. IMHO both models are similar (except for FWD/RWD) in a lot of ways: understated interiors, light controls, firm ride, restrained exterior styling, and precise and accurate steering.

Some thoughts:

- current year 3er is likely to be "more" reliable than first year model of new type (anecdotal opionon on internet chat board unsubstantiated by facts )
- if you like the new look, buy one and be happy, just realise that if you buy an '05 it will look like "every" other E46 as soon as Sep 05 rolls around.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
#1 - My car has been perfect from day one
#2 - My car has been perfect from day one
Old 11-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Reliability

Does anyone know what the reliability issues were with the last into of a new model. For that matter, how has the 5 faired?
Old 11-19-2004, 03:49 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Being sensible, why don't you look into a used 2001 330i? Cosmetic differences are hardly distinguishable to untrained eyes. Performance is the same as the 2005 unless it has the ZHP option. I suspect you can pick one up with about 50k miles for about $20K with step if that's what you prefer. If the car has lasted that long, the kinks are already worked out in your favor. Hang on to it for a while until the E90 quality issues are worked out. When that happens, you can make a serious consideration in buying a new E90. Until then you have a car you can feel good about driving. But, do get the 330i over the 325i.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 11-19-2004 at 03:55 PM.