Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
2015 x3 2.8i vs 2.8d..worth it?

I'm about to replace my wife's 2010 Lexus Rx450h with either the 2015 version or a 2015 X3. I'm considering the 2.8i or d versions, as she really doesn't need the 3.5.

I recently had a base 2014 X3 2.8i loaner and let my wife drive it, and she thought it was peppy. I'm concerned about the 4cyl diesel being fast enough for suburban NY parkway on ramps. Any advice there? How about the fuel economy benefit of the diesel even if it has to work harder?

I just went from a 2011 535ix to a 2014 535dx myself and am very happy with the diesel in that car. It averages 35 mpg in mixed driving vs 23-24 for the gas version.

The other consideration is I have to order it, and my dealer doesn't have a diesel allocation open. So I'd probably not be able to use the 4 series test drive cash on the diesel...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Advertisement
Old 08-14-2014, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
I'm about to replace my wife's 2010 Lexus Rx450h with either the 2015 version or a 2015 X3. I'm considering the 2.8i or d versions, as she really doesn't need the 3.5.

I recently had a base 2014 X3 2.8i loaner and let my wife drive it, and she thought it was peppy. I'm concerned about the 4cyl diesel being fast enough for suburban NY parkway on ramps. Any advice there? How about the fuel economy benefit of the diesel even if it has to work harder?

I just went from a 2011 535ix to a 2014 535dx myself and am very happy with the diesel in that car. It averages 35 mpg in mixed driving vs 23-24 for the gas version.

The other consideration is I have to order it, and my dealer doesn't have a diesel allocation open. So I'd probably not be able to use the 4 series test drive cash on the diesel...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
There is a thread about this already, but in short the diesel isn't a slug, but not as fast as the 28i. Have your wife test drive both of the X3's and see which one she likes. I would be calling other dealers to see what you can get as far as a 2.8d. We are leaning towards the diesel ourselves. I jus wish it came in RDW and xDrive.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: Venza
You can use your test drive cash with other dealers also, its from BMW North america, hence other dealers will also able to use that cash for your purchase.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Love our 28i. It has plenty of pick up and we're getting as much as low 30s mpg on the highway. I see you're in NY- highly recommend XDrive for your wife.

RX450 is a dog compared to the X3- you are in a BMW forum afterall! I don't like it at all seriously, very sluggish handling and much less fun to drive factor.

The issue with diesel gas is it's not everywhere.

As someone else said, you can use your Drive Event coupon elsewhere if you needed to.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
Thanks for the feedback so far. I will say my wife loves her RX, and prefers to get another. I am making her try the alternative.

That said, it looks like she'd be happy with a 2.8i, and only one dealer within 50 miles has a diesel in stock to drive, so we might not bother...I prefer the diesel because I love mine so much, but so be it.

My guy can check other dealers' allocation, and can probably get one if he needs it, but there are none local with openings, and besides, I'm very loyal to my dealer, I could not duplicate the deals I get here anywhere else.

Keep the d vs i comments coming!!
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: X3
My wife makes lots of short trips. Even though its warm down here in Florida I was concerned that the engine would not reach operating temperature frequently and thus we went with the 28i.

Trip length for the primary user is something to consider.