Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-18-2004, 05:44 PM
RF Refugee

Send a message via AIM to Kaefer
Mein Auto: '03 3.0L X5
EXCEPTIONAL Brakes!!

I just knew, KNEW I had bought it. It would not have been anything too serious -- I was stuck in traffic doing maybe 20 MPH. Nonetheless, after turning my head forward (I was, oddly enough, staring at the accident that had cause the traffic jam), all I saw was brake lights! <"oh, crap!"> I practically stood on the brake pedal, and I just knew this was going to mean an insurance hike. I braced for impact... it never happened. I was astounded!

Amazing. Simply amazing stopping power. I keep finding things that I love about this car more than a yeaf after I bought it. Truly amazing.

Just had to share that little anecdote.

Juan
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
BMW brakes are the best !!
I'm always afraid the dude behind me can't stop as fast as I can, so I always check my rearview mirror when I slam on the brakes.
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom
BMW brakes are the best !!
I'm always afraid the dude behind me can't stop as fast as I can, so I always check my rearview mirror when I slam on the brakes.
LoL - I do the same thing
Old 11-18-2004, 05:56 PM
RF Refugee

Actuall, I DID do that. As SOON as I realized I had stopped without the help of the car in front of me, I looked immediately in my rearview mirror... thankfully, he was obviously paying more attention than I was, 'casue he did not have to do a panic stop.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:57 PM
I miss my V8

Send a message via AIM to Curious Joel
Mein Auto: '03 330xi 5sp
The brakes have saved me many times... I, too, keep discovering things that I love... For instance DSC will activate when I do an emergency lane change and i will realize... Hey, my car just saved me!

1989 Jeep Wrangler- Black
2005 Volvo XC70- Ruby Red- Mom
1998 Audi A8 4.2- Bright Silver- Dad
1999 Audi A4 2.8- Moro Blue- Brother
1955 Dodge M-37
1947 Jaguar MkIV
1955 MG TF-1500

Previously: 2002 X5 4.4i

dsheli's Refugee Lounge 2.0
Old 11-18-2004, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4i
Great brakes

Awful dust Thankfully it can be solved.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Oversized Rooster 4.4i

Mein Auto: '02 X5 4.4i
When I had the 330i, I really enjoyed the breaks - it had 12" rotors all around, and stopped like a beast. One of the important factors of picking the X5 as the next move, over the ML500 was the superb braking power.

The X5 stops amazingly quick - by numbers, even a couple feet shorter 60-0 stopping distance than the E46.

It's amazing how a vehicle weighing 1500 more pounds than the E46 can stop just as fast, eh?

2002 BMW X5 4.4i - Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Activity Package, Front+Rear PDC, Boomerang2 Recovery System, Lumbar Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Sunshades, Privacy Glass, 30% Front Tint
Old 11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Kaefer,
Ya'll preaching to the choir,Man!

JK'ing! I agree...I have Never driven a car of this weight (mass), w/this stooping power.
My Vette stops better,(as is should at 3200 lbs), my M'cycles stop better, no s hit,
but the X is fooking amazing.

Especially when most of my full foot braking comes in very high speed InterstatehaulingAzz,
travelling. And, the emergency handling...what a freaking vehicle those ol'Teutons put together.

The X's traits may even allow and help CJ to survive to drinking and voting age, lol!
BR,md
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 11-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: '04 X5 4.4i & E320 4Matic
Great braking power comes with enormous amount of brake dust. Every other BMW on the street has dirty front wheels. Looks aweful. Fortunately you still can have great brakes without the dust...best of both worlds.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Hare Herald

Mein Auto: 4 X5 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid
The X's traits may even allow and help CJ to survive to drinking and voting age, lol!
BR,md
As long as he doesn't misunderstand what he's supposed to do with his new Remus exhaust
Old 11-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: Imola RedII 4.8iS - 733i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
LoL - I do the same thing
I think most of us perform this method of braking.

Ed (TripleX5)
02 4.4 retired
Old 11-18-2004, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 4.8is
Safe to say new brake pads = no BMW maintenance?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Parking Spot Maven

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian
When I had the 330i, I really enjoyed the breaks
Maybe I have you confused for somebody else, but...
You had?

breaks?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Hog Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleX5
I think most of us perform this method of braking.
I don't think drivers ed taught us how to brake like that. But we just can't help it not trusting the guy behind. I always find that after braking hard I have to inch my X5 as close as possible to the guy in front so the guy behind has more "room".
Old 11-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Hand-me-down X5

Send a message via ICQ to vraa Send a message via AIM to vraa Send a message via MSN to vraa Send a message via Yahoo to vraa
Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
All I have to say is
on my X, I think I'v flat-spotted the tires.

God I love this truck more and more.
05 LS
+ others.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:43 AM
RF Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraa
God I love this truck more and more.
Truck?? We own a truck??

And, I know I am preaching to the choir, MD, but... I was just SO impressed (and surprised), that I just had to share...

Juan
Old 11-19-2004, 04:20 AM
Member of the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke013
Safe to say new brake pads = no BMW maintenance?
Certainly if you replace the OEM pads with aftermarket pads such as Mintex or Axxis then BMW isn't going to cover the pads with maintenance. I'm not sure if they will void your maintenance on your rotors or not - really depends on your dealer and how they want to handle the situation. If you are concerned, ask your dealer what its policy is on this.

Pads and rotors should be the extent of what they can hold back on as far as BMW full maintenance coverage.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 00 X5 4.4i, 99 M3
I hear ya man. I found out my brakes worked one or two days after having Clyde (yes, we named our X5 Clyde). Someone decided to stop dead on an entrance ramp to the hwy because he didn't like the looks of traffic and wanted to turn around. It was a blind corner type on ramp, so as soon as I came around, BRAKE CHECK! I can't remember the first thoughts that went through my head, but I know "we just got this" was one.

Two years later and now I have a warped rotor and thinking about replacing all 4 with these

Old 11-19-2004, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4
First let me say that you are all quite right to be concerned about that guy behind you!

3 weeks ago I was working my way through the thick traffic on I4 heading for Orlando. A few minutes earlier I had noticed a guy in a Montero taggin along behind me. I made a quick maneuver around a semi, and as I moved back over, I found traffic at a dead stop in front of me. I wasn't sure if I could stop in time, but my X5 handily took care of it. I look back in my mirror to see the mitsubishi barreling down on me. He swerved into the grass median, and scuffed the drivers side corner of my back bumper on his way into the grass. I'm getting it fixed next week. I was lucky though, he was going about 20mph when he brushed by me, and had there been impact it would have been bad for me and my bimmer.

Quick question...
Are you guys suggesting that there are brake pads out there that will produce less dust, and still be safe for your rotors?
I don't want pads that are so tough that they eat the rotors. I've never really looked into it, I've always had it recommended to me to stick with OEM pads.

Thanks,
Andy E.
Sarasota, FL
'01 Black X5 4.4
Old 11-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Hog Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanksae
Quick question...
Are you guys suggesting that there are brake pads out there that will produce less dust, and still be safe for your rotors?
I don't want pads that are so tough that they eat the rotors. I've never really looked into it, I've always had it recommended to me to stick with OEM.
Well dealers won't recommend any non-OEM parts. But you can install a set of rotor-friendly Axxis Deluxe pads which according to everyone who has them, perform as good as orgininal ones with virtually no brake dust. Highly recommended if you don't want brake dust.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Member of the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanksae
I don't want pads that are so tough that they eat the rotors. I've never really looked into it, I've always had it recommended to me to stick with OEM pads.
I've been running with Mintex Red Box pads for the past 37,000 miles and have been very pleased with both the performance as well as the significant reduction (90%+) in brake dust. And for rotor friendliness, well I'm still on my original rotors and have nearly 62,000 miles on the X.

I'll be receiving a set of Axxis Deluxe Plus pads next week and plan to augment those with a set of Brembo slotted rotors. I'll provide feedback on the OEM versus Mintex versus Axxis after I've had a chance to run with the Axxis for a reasonable amount of time.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Member of the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUINNESS
Two years later and now I have a warped rotor and thinking about replacing all 4 with these

Those are what I'm going with

Tire Rack is where I'm probably going to pick them up from. Have you done any price shopping on these yet? I'd be interested to know where you find the best deal.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 00 X5 4.4i, 99 M3
Probably just get them through Tire Rack. Haven't really seen them anywhere else, unless I'm not looking in the right places. I may ask a guy I know who works on my cars how much he would charge for them. He usually gives me a little deal on things depending on how much he can get them for. Think he also just became a Brembo dealer as well. Then I'm hoping I can do the install with the aid of his lifts and paint my calipers red while I'm at it
Old 11-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Yeah right....

Mein Auto: 01' 4.4 Dinan S2 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUINNESS
I hear ya man. I found out my brakes worked one or two days after having Clyde (yes, we named our X5 Clyde). Someone decided to stop dead on an entrance ramp to the hwy because he didn't like the looks of traffic and wanted to turn around. It was a blind corner type on ramp, so as soon as I came around, BRAKE CHECK! I can't remember the first thoughts that went through my head, but I know "we just got this" was one.

How about trying on a set of these...
Highly recommended by me!

You might want to wait for another member of this board who will be doing his brakes very soon. I would guess something similar to what you want to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brembo+front+caliper+rotor.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	40238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brembo+rear+caliper+rotor.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	40239  

Ask me what I DON'T have on my X, it'll just be easier...