Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Battery questions and Registration. 2007 328xi

Hi all, Iíve been a lurker on these forums for the last few years and finally felt like I needed to ask some questions because Iíve found mixed answers in the existing post.

I have a 2007 328xi with 60k miles on it. Iím assuming the battery is the original but donít see a date code on it. Iím the 2nd owner of the car so I have no idea if it was ever replaced previously. Itís a white top BMW branded battery. Any idea where the date code would be?

Question/Problem 1:
About once every 3 months, right after I shut the car off but still have the radio on with the doors shut I get the BATTERY icon pop up on my dash. Iíll get the icon within 10 seconds of stopping the engine. All other times I can park, turn the engine off and leave the radio on and never get the icon and have even sat long enough to where the 15 minute mark hits and the radio goes off. Iíve never had problems starting the car after the battery light comes on or even when Iíve left the car sitting for 3 weeks while out of town. The reason Iím asking now is it happened again today and when I went to restart the car, the center area that indicates the FOB is present and shows the KEY icon looked DIM like the battery was drained but when I pushed the button it fired up like normal. I ran the systems check and everything came back ok.. Should I be concerned with the battery?

Question 2:
Replacing the battery yourself and Registering it? There seems to be mixed answers on this in the forums. If I replace my battery with one from AutoZone/Battery+ or any DIY store and can match the specs do I really need to ďregisterĒ it? Half the people say they havenít and have driven for year(s) without problems while others say theyíve had a ton of problems and the problems went away when they registered it. Granted most of those post have been 2-5 years old so Iím asking about it hoping there is new information about this. I know an independent BMW mechanic who can probably do it in 5 minutes, just trying to find out if I really truly need to do this because I donít know what his cost would be. I also donít know if he would allow me to replace it myself then drive to him for the registration or if heíd require me to buy the battery from him and he install.

Any advice would be welcome and thank you!
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
(1) When that and some other odd electrical issues began occurring on my '07 E01, the problem turned out to be an intermittently bad IBS unit which was causing an overcharge. The original battery went south a few months later and was replaced by an OEM battery and registered by the dealer. No electrical problems since.

Tom
Old 08-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You can buy a battery from any auto parts store and have it registered. You can either find someone local to do it for you or go to an indy to do it. Anyone who can code, will have the ability to register batteries.

It should not cost more than $50 to register a battery. It only takes 3-5 minutes and the majority of that time is to hook up the diagnostic equipment and go through the menus. If they charge you more, they don't know what they are doing or are ripping you off. A dealership will charge you an hour of labor to register a battery.

As long as you keep the same specs as your current battery, all you need to do is register it. If you change spec, you have to program, then register.

The most important part of battery replacement is making sure you keep the same TYPE of battery. You can either install a normal, non-AGM battery or an AGM one. They charge differently and this is why it's important to keep the same type. Ah and CCA ratings should be similar but it won't matter as much as type. For instance, I replaced my OEM non-AGM with an AGM 90Ah. I programmed my car as a 70Ah AGM when I put a lightweight Braille battery in there for a year. It struggled to start my car in the winter so I replaced it with a 90Ah AGM and kept the programming as a 70Ah AGM.

My battery has been fine since I installed in 2010.

And just FYI, OEM non-AGM batteries are white. OEM AGM batteries are black.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |